Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

can an Aggie ring be passed down?

31,402 Views | 99 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by schmellba99
tytuck229
How long do you want to ignore this user?
this is far away because I am class of 18', but is it possible to get an aggie ring passed down. My dad doesn't wear his as much as he used to and we came up with the idea that I could get his. Would the ring just completely be refurbished to mine, or is there a way to put 2 class years on the ring, etc? I don't even know if this is possible, but if anyone knows please let me know.
redd38
AG
My uncle had his re-cast, or whatever they call it, to make his son's.
Esteban du Plantier
AG
quote:

Balfour makes twenty or more rings per casting, so it's impossible to have his gold made specifically into your ring.
FightinTAC08
AG
I think that is a personal decision and an "is it possible" question. its your family's ring, you can certainly do what you want if you are willing to pay for changes.

as far as saving the $1000 bucks they cost now, it may be worth it, and may be more memorable to wear your dad's ring. Personally, i like the idea of being able to see my dad's ring next to mine.

good luck!
aginlakeway
AG
I'm class of 1985. My dad was class of 1957. He died 5 years ago, and I put my ring in a safe and now I wear his ring everyday.

So I guess it's all put to personal preference.
Teddy Perkins
AG
I wear my grandfather's class of '49 ring which was passed down to me once I met the requirements. I know the association allows for the registry to be updated when a ring is passed down as well.
Tobias Funke
AG
My grandpa was class of 51 and died when I was young. Last year I had his ring resized and had my initials engraved inside next to his. I love wearing it
DallasAg 94
I would recommend getting your own ring.

If you have more than 1 kid, you will want that 2nd ring.

I get the sentimental piece of using the metal from his ring... but think you'll find the long-term benefit of having your own.

HTH.
DallasAg 94
BTW - Seems like I saw an Aggie Ring with multiple years.

It might be something where you get your ring with both years on it...
Rob40
AG
I was class of '10, but have been rocking my grandpa's class of '79 since I had the credits to get a ring.

Pros: great conversation starter, can have a gold ring if you don't have $1000

Cons: you don't get to participate in the "standing in line for you ring" thing (but i still dunked it with everyone just the same), you don't have your own personal ring

My biggest thing was the $... I didn't have the money at the time for a ring, so my grandfathers was perfect. Though now I'm considering getting my own.
redd38
AG
quote:
quote:

Balfour makes twenty or more rings per casting, so it's impossible to have his gold made specifically into your ring.

Yeah, they don't think it's the same gold or anything, just made the new ring much cheaper.
Esteban du Plantier
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

Yeah, they don't think it's the same gold or anything, just made the new ring much cheaper.

Gotcha.
BaileyAg
AG
Y'all wearing your older relatives' rings is really cool. I didn't realize folks were doing that.

My dad once got a loan with his ring as collateral. The bank president, an Aggie, let him continue to wear it.
FtBendTxAg
AG
Id feel honored to wear a family members ring.
IDaggie06
AG
Texags needs to pay some kid $10/hr to sit and delete threads like this. How is this football related, let alone aggie football?
shano0603
AG
quote:
quote:

I'm not sure on the accuracy of this statement. I'm fairly sure my friends mom sent her ring in and they re-casted it because it was so worn down.
aggiepaintrain
AG
I good jeweler can put your year in it, I would not want to send it in and have it melted. It's all a personal choice. Congrats and work hard.
Ridge14
quote:
Texags needs to pay some kid $10/hr to sit and delete threads like this. How is this football related, let alone aggie football?

Nobody cares

Except you

I don't come to the zoo to read threads about football
Esteban du Plantier
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

I'm not sure on the accuracy of this statement. I'm fairly sure my friends mom sent her ring in and they re-casted it because it was so worn down.

Sure, they'll recast it, but not with the same gold. They use an investment cast/lost wax procedure that involves casting many rings on a 'tree.'

They do not make rings individually.
JonLobb
quote:
quote:
quote:

This. I'd be beyond surprised is Balfour didn't have the ABILITY to cast single rings, even if they cast them 20 at a time in mass production.
Esteban du Plantier
AG
Making of the Aggie ring

Olaf
AG
New Army
Esteban du Plantier
AG
Here's a quote directly from the association:

quote:
You must turn in your Aggie Ring. The same gold will not be used to remake the new Ring.

https://www.aggienetwork.com/ring/repair.aspx
bnago
AG
Hey Rob40, just a quick question, doing the math, it's hard to figure your grandad was class of '79? Was it a typo? BTW, I also think it's cool to wear a passed down ring. Thanks...
The Debt
OP: Dont recast it. Just wear his re-sized and engraved. (cleaned, too)

Doing the whole waiting in line for your ring to be handed to you by someone who has been standing all day doing this monotonously for 6 hours is not personal, nor is the "production" special.

Call up the family. Have your dad present it to you outside the Association any day other than Ring Day, you dont have to fight the crowds for photos around the statues. Then you can do your dunking with your friends/family whenever you want.
The Debt
Also, its kinda badass to have the old designs. The current version is very cluttered imo.

What I would give for that AMC ring!!

Kenneth_2003
AG
Your fathers ring has a separate top plate from the base of the ring. The "rope" used to actually hide the weld where the two pieces were joined. They do not still cast the crests separately so you cannot have the crest changed out.

Some private jewelers might do a casting and re-numbering, but you'll void the Balfour Warranty and it will most likely look bad.
quote:
Remake
  • Your Aggie Ring may be traded in for a new Ring. A remake is required if you have an Aggie Ring that is:
    • Damaged beyond repair
    • Being resized up or down more than 2 sizes, depending on condition.
    • Missing the base, or is has become damaged or worn
    • Changing the Class year
    • Class of '63-'66 and changing the lettering from "College" to "University" or vice versa
    • Worn down and you prefer a new Ring.
  • Remake prices are as follows:
    • Rings purchased prior to 1998 - the entire Ring must be turned in:
      • Men's 10K: $76.86
      • Men's 14K: $86.60
      • Women's 10K: $67.12
      • Women's 14K: $72.53
    • Rings purchased prior to 1998 - if the top piece is missing:
      • Men's 10K: $243
      • Men's 14K: $346
      • Women's 10K: $150
      • Women's 14K: $189
    • Rings purchased 1998 and after:
      • Men's 10K or 14K: $43.30
      • Women's 10K or 14K: $43.

Aggie Ring "Remake" Policies
Willis
AG
I'm the first Aggie in my immediate family. Parents were SHSU Bearkats. My wife and both my in-laws are Ags. I know my father-in-law's goes to the first male grandson to graduate, which will hopefully be mine. First grandson period also gets his Rolex. My mother-in-law's goes to the first granddaughter to graduate, which will be my daughter if she goesto A&M. If my son gets my FIL's, I'll give mine to my first grandson.

My mother-in-law did send hers in a few years ago and had it remade. It was so worn down you couldn't even tell the class year. My wife will have to do hers one day too because she is class of '09 and hers already has some pretty significant wear. They were both 10K gold which you would think wouldn't wear as fast as 14K.
gigumaggie
AG
I personally love it when I see one worn down.....shows you wear it!
The Debt
quote:
I personally love it when I see one worn down.....shows you wear it!
gomerschlep
AG
Hopefully my dad has many, many years left on this earth. When he passes, I plan on storing mine and wearing his.
fightintxaggie10
AG
"I was class of '10, but have been rocking my grandpa's class of '79 since I had the credits to get a ring. "

Uhhhhh wut. I'm also class of 10 and my DAD is class of 79.
Isaih Smollett
His grandpa probably graduated after serving time in the military
3rdGenAg05
AG
I Know it isn't AFR, but cool thread...I have one of my grandfather's rings, class of '38. It is worn down to nothing; it has his wedding ring soldered/attached to it as well. He wore it while served in North Africa in WWII. I've never thought to wear it though.
I hope to get my paternal grandfather's (c/o '46, same as ring statue) as well, but his isn't the original. He is 90 and still rockin' it!
JonLobb
This thread makes me intensely jealous of you multi-generational ags.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.