Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

The rumors were true about gray uniforms

30,505 Views | 189 Replies | Last: 10 yr ago by OHAg82
Mr. Tyler Durden
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I think those are sick. That's means cool for Old Army.
AggieSherman09
AG
don't really care for it that much even though I really liked the black last year. I just don't think the maroon helmet works with it. change up the helmet combo and then maybe. wasn't there a thread in the offseason with a pic that we got gray helmets too? I could be imagining things tho
SJAG75
Why not camou?
ThreatLevel: Midnight
AG
Maroon top with grey pants. Could be worse.
hawk1689
AG
I hope we wear these for the UTEP game so the fewest amount of people will see them.

To all of the "recruits like it" guys. Has this garbage actually succeeded in getting recruits for others? No. Kids don't go to Maryland because their uniforms were inspired by Super Mario Brothers. Okie Lite doesn't kill it in recruiting because they have completely abandoned their school colors. Kids go to Oregon because they win, not because their seamstress found a canister of ooze.
The Dog Lord
AG
^did you not see the reaction of our players to the black uniforms last year? It got them pumped before the game.
Brick Tamland
quote:
As long as they have TEXAS A&M on their chest I don't care what they look like as long as the players & recruits like them.
Mulletmusk
The uniforms are for the players and they help in recruiting. It makes the players feel invested in to have new looks that they might be the only ones to wear. Oregon has proven the technique works. The fan base likes winning and elite recruiting classes more than they dislike multiple uniform combinations.
JRB78
AG
I can't think of much that would excite me less than playing in a gray uniform. I have nothing against alternate uniforms, but that one is just flat out ugly. My guess is they are one and done.
rangelady
AG
Bunch of guys scrapping over what color we wear........I like maroon and white.....but I don't care if we wear purple and green if we WIN!

Do y'all call each other before games and compare outfits???
LaurAg
There is absolutely no way to improve on Maroon & White, so why take a step down???

Laura
30YrAGGIEFBFAN
5 pages!!!!
REALLY!!!
WOW!!!
New Boot Goofin
AG
quote:
We've gone Tech. Awful.

No. Tard looked more like the gray spandex from the 80s. Kinda dig the charcoal gray.
htxaggie7
AG
"I've always said if Oregon would have offered me (a scholarship), it would have been a tough thing to turn them down just for the uniforms," ASU defensive back Omar Bolden says. "And I hate cold weather." He proves the point that while some find Oregon's style excessive and borderline hideous, the players love the duds.

and this was in 2011, i don't care what uniforms we wear as long as we keep winning, lures recruits, and it helps with team morale. http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/the_bonus/12/28/uniforms/
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
We have never won wearing gray (or is it grey?) f them!!!!
hawk1689
AG
If Oregon had offered this guy a scholarship, he would have considered it because they are a better football program than Arizona St. Show me a recruit that turns down OU for Okie St. because of the uniforms and maybe I'll listen. Here is another article on the subject in which a few coaches say that it helps and then the empirical data disagrees with them:

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/recruiting/football/story/_/id/9523357/college-football-recruiting-uniforms-selling-point-schools

Here is the only part that you need to take from it:

"An ESPN.com survey indicates that Oregon's hundreds of uniform combinations, Rutgers' battle-scarred jerseys and Nebraska's alternate black jerseys might not matter as much as many think."

There are several quotes from recruits in there including one from our own Dylan Sumner Gardner in which they say it is the last thing on the list. Oregon was unique. Everyone trying to copy them wreaks of desperation.
BigMikeAg94
AG
Dislike.
Dr. Tinkle
You guys might not like it, but players do
zephyr88
AG
gray is gay...
I Like Mike
AG
I like it!
DB Coach
AG
I love the idea of alternate uniforms, and I know the players love them. If it helps recruiting, then so be it, whatever it takes. As for gray uniforms, I have yet to see more than one over the last 2 or 3 years that actually looked good. The shade of the gray along with the accent color makes or breaks it, and I'm reserving my judgment on our version of those until I see them on the field.
oldjohnny
Awesome
dixichkn
AG
quote:
Eh I'm a crotchety old man who thinks the gray uniforms have looked just turrrrible on everyone whose used them this season.

But if the YOLO Swag generation loves them and it helps recruit...sure...I guess

This. I think it's ridiculous that a recruit's opinion of where to attend is so swayed by something so stupid ("no I'd rather go play in some near-Arctic location with a crappy rep as long as the unis are cool!") but if that's the way it is.....that's the way it is. Bring em on.

Think this one looks like crap though. Black was MUCH better.
Brazos Ag 1970
AG
quote:
if peein your pants ain't cool...I don't wanna be warm!
FIFY
rcb05
AG
Those saying "recruits choose a program based on success, not on uniforms" are oversimplifying the issue. Is success on the field the biggest factor for most recruits? Yes. But to say it's the ONLY factor is untrue.

There are lots of programs that win. Now, there's various levels of winning, but lots do win. So if an athlete is recruited by several "winning" programs, how does he choose? This is when the smaller factors like geography, playing time, facilities, and yes, UNIFORMS come into play.

Will a guy ever choose us simply because of what we wear? No. But, if he's on the fence between us and another similar program, might he be swayed towards the Ags because he likes picturing himself in a cool uniform? Absolutely.

That's why these uniforms exist.
Saltyag15
AG
Players like it, recruits like it, and most fans like it with the exception of the lololds. A new uniform combination every now and then is great.
GEA89
AG
AWESOME!

Two thumbs up seal of approval.
McGibblets
AG
Completely agree with rcb. This is why you see a&m starting sites up such as aggiefblife and everything else we do
TLA02
AG
In Sumlin Swag I trust...
hawk1689
AG
You guys are making statements based on what you assume the recruits think or feel. I am citing a source that has actually polled these kid's opinions.

Edit for poor grammar.

[This message has been edited by hawk1689 (edited 10/24/2013 1:12p).]
lakeside aggie
AG
Forget grey.
rcb05
AG
Hawk, did you read the entire article? Farther down, it says this, which is basically what I just described:

quote:
"Swagged out" uniforms not only help prospects take notice of a program, they can be a difference-maker if the recruit is struggling to choose between two relatively even programs. "If they're exactly the same, I think uniforms would push them ahead of the other school," five-star defensive end Lorenzo Carter of Norcross, Ga., said. "If I got the same feel for both schools, they're in the same type of place, then yeah, uniforms would make a difference."

Dupree concurred. "That's probably a better example of when uniforms can come into play. If they're both [equal], and this one school has better uniforms, then that's going to bump them up a little for me and for almost every recruit out there."
dimeboxaggie
AG
quote:
There is absolutely no way to improve on Maroon & White, so why take a step down???

Laura
hawk1689
AG
RCB,

Thanks for at least acknowledging the evidence instead of regurgitating the conjecture of so many. To make the blanket statement that no recruit cares about uniforms would be disingenuous of me. I just believe and would argue the data supports the argument that it isn't high on the priority list. For all we know, schools may be losing recruits because some kids prefer the traditional look. Schools have been using alternate black jerseys for years (I liked the black uniforms last year, but not the helmet). My main problem with this incarnation is that it will appear to the public as a copy cat maneuver. These uniforms are ugly and they remind me of Oklahoma St (which I never want to be compared to).
Quad Dog
AG
A kid chose Auburn because they have a Chic-Fil-A on campus.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/02/02/cassanova-mckinzy-chick-fil-a-auburn-clemson_n_1250237.html
Anything helps, and if uniforms (or Chic-Fil-A) is a priority for some players, then teams will keep doing it. No matter what fans think, unless people stop giving money. Stopping donations because of uniforms is just as silly as attending a university because of them.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.