Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

The new Kyle Field- weekly pictures

2,166,798 Views | 5140 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Definitely Not A Cop
chipotle
How long do you want to ignore this user?
quote:
My guess is 95% of those posting on this thread have absolutely no construction experience, so please, defer to the experts.

Alchimadus
Sex Panther
AG
nevermind, thought we were on the Allen stadium thread.

[This message has been edited by Sex Panther (edited 5/21/2014 3:37p).]
BayAg14
Seating going in on the east side.
BayAg14
Supposed to be thumbs up.
Frok
AG
What the heck do they need seats for? They are supposed to be standing!

McGibblets
AG
Figured I'd add the quad copter video here as well. Not my video. Props to whoever took it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwBGJtjCpC4
Aggie Daddy
AG
Heard by a few contractors here on campus that it's behind by up to 3 months. No proof, just heard it by a few completely different subs in the past week and a half. It just made me question progress a little. I really hope they are wrong.
I am in construction on campus, but that's all I'll say.
DifferenceMaker Ag
quote:
Heard by a few contractors here on campus that it's behind by up to 3 months.
http://kylefield.com/updates

Using the eyeball test and comparing that to the rough construction timeline on kf.com, it seems to me that they are mostly on schedule, especially on the large structures. Not sure about the details like electrical, plumbing, or fit & finish. Also not sure if the northeast plaza and re-paving of Houston Street will be included in this phase. But it looks like people will have a place to stand and yell during games next year.

McGibblets
AG
I want planning I discussing this, but since y'all brought it up, I'll toss my knowledge in. I was told by a guy in the know (probably about 2 weeks back) that the head of the project told one of the Aggies who is important (I'm not gonna disclose who, keep reading and you'll see why) that we were quite a bit ahead of schedule, under budget, and to keep it on the fowl low. However, the ag went on and told the rest of the ags associated with the project about this, in order to try and assure that the project will continue to be worked on at this cost and pace
bigblackag12
AG
Keep it on the fowl low
Aggie Daddy
AG
Thanks McG. I hope that's the case. It appears your source of info is better than what I've heard. I haven't even looked at the progress timeline so I have no idea where they are on it. It just captured my interest when the contractors were commenting about it because it appears that there is still a lot to do in the next 3 1/2 months.
ABATTBQ11
AG
These are comparisons with where they were exactly three months ago on February 22nd and where they are today:

3 1/2 months is a pretty short amount of time, but they can cram a lot of construction into 3 1/2 months.

[This message has been edited by ABATTBQ11 (edited 5/22/2014 8:28a).]

[This message has been edited by ABATTBQ11 (edited 5/22/2014 8:30a).]
John Dutton
AG
Thank you ABATTBQ11!! Great looks. Gig'Em!!
agz win
AG
That's is amazing.

Thanks for posting ABATT.
yeahtoast
AG
Excellent comparison pictures. Something to be said for proper planning+prep.
Frok
AG
There is no way they are 3 months behind. I don't see how they could be much further ahead from where they are now. This thing has moved super fast. They've built most of the south end zone as fast as it's taken to build the McDonalds at the front of my neighborhood.
AggieDave02
AG
At this point in the project, I'd be worried about the finishes ... I'm sure they are on top of their submittals and have all of the material lined up, but finishes can bite you in the ass.
bgrimm05
AG
I don't see a problem with being able to play games there this coming season, but they will not be done and sitting there twiddling their thumbs waiting for the season to be over. They will be working through the season.
ABATTBQ11
AG
That is the one thing I would worry about, but I don't think they're going to have much of a problem. It looks like they have a ton of CMU walls that have already been put up on the east side because they don't need to be enclosed like drywall. They may also be going with some kind of mold resistant drywall where they have it so they don't have to wait until they're dried in to start hanging.

It would be nice to see what's going on inside and how rough in is coming along. I have seen some pictures from McG and Scotch that show a ton of plumbing, a good bit of electrical, and some HVAC already roughed in.
ABATTBQ11
AG
Also should point out that they are fabricating the next two canopy supports. I would expect the next one to go up in 7-10 days based on how far along it looks.
McGibblets
AG
quote:
I don't see a problem with being able to play games there this coming season, but they will not be done and sitting there twiddling their thumbs waiting for the season to be over. They will be working through the season.

Correct. This has always been the plan. With that bring said, I'm quite sure they are trying to have some things finished for the beginning of the season. Thy obviously need the south end zone usable by the first game. Since there really isn't any exterior to the south end zone, I'd imagine they will be finished by kickoff. Expect the entire east side exterior to be complete. Also, they'll have both of the east side towers done. I'm still unsure about the south west tower though, and I would not be surprised if this is something they are working on during the season. Also, I imagine they'll try to make sure the canopy is completed by kickoff. Depending on how much work they do during the season, we could also see the beginning of the north west tower (possibly not, depending on if it's possible before demolition of the west side) and if they really wanna get moving, the exterior of the zone. However, I don't see them working on the zone for sake of appearance, but it's possible. I'm sure I'm forgetting some parts, and there's also loads of smaller stuff I have no idea about, but expect them to be busy until the entire thing is done
BostonAg74
It does seem to me that some of the fabricators may be having trouble keeping up, as progress seems to stop and start on certain segments and then pick up in other areas. That doesn't mean the entire project is behind. It just underscores how difficult it is to keep a project like this on track when so many things are out of your control. However, if they were three months behind, you would see full crews on Sundays and holidays by now, and I haven't seen that.
gr8yt21
AG
Are they going to be gutters on the canopy? Judging by the slope on it, rain is going to poor off the front right into an unlucky row(s) of fans.
McGibblets
AG
Let's break down the 3 months behind idea. It's May now, close to June. That would mean we would only be in February to March area. Our last home game was November. That would mean that we should have done double the work as of today. If we had done that much, we'd nearly be done. It's just not realistic to think we're that far behind. And as I've said earlier, I've been told we're ahead and under budget
McGibblets
AG
quote:
Are they going to be gutters on the canopy? Judging by the slope on it, rain is going to poor off the front right into an unlucky row(s) of fans.

I've been wondering this as well. If you put gutters, the water has to go somewhere. You can't just flood the streets either. And I feel like it would be a health risk allowing all that water to dump on one or 2 rows of fans (consider the surface area of the canopy, and all that water being forced down a single slope). I'm sure that there's a solution, but I have no idea, seeing that I have no experience with anything of the sort
duffelpud
AG
Maybe really long straws?

chipotle
Alright. The gutter thing.

Many moons ago someone posted pictures of drawings that showed what looked to be an enormous gutter about 20 feet from the edge. Now it probably wasn't a gutter per se but a roof accessway for mechanical, lighting...whatever. So some runoff could go into there and flow into roof drains (big ones). Whatever leftover that went off the edge would just dissipate into smaller drops because of the height.
DifferenceMaker Ag
quote:
quote:

I've been wondering this as well. If you put gutters, the water has to go somewhere. You can't just flood the streets either. And I feel like it would be a health risk allowing all that water to dump on one or 2 rows of fans (consider the surface area of the canopy, and all that water being forced down a single slope). I'm sure that there's a solution, but I have no idea, seeing that I have no experience with anything of the sort

Note the slots near the front side of the canopy. Those, combined with raised veins to direct the water accordingly, and problem solved. The water can be then be ducted to storm drains.
ABATTBQ11
AG
quote:

Roof drains, maybe. They could drain everything back under the canopy and down to existing storm drains below the street. Thinking back, I may have seen one in one of your pics.
ABATTBQ11
AG
quote:
Depending on how much work they do during the season, we could also see the beginning of the north west tower (possibly not, depending on if it's possible before demolition of the west side) and if they really wanna get moving, the exterior of the zone. However, I don't see them working on the zone for sake of appearance, but it's possible. I'm sure I'm forgetting some parts, and there's also loads of smaller stuff I have no idea about, but expect them to be busy until the entire thing is done

We won't see northwest tower work start until after demo of the west side. They will not risk damaging work in place when the second and third decks of the west side are imploded. I think the only big thing that they would be working on during the season would be the press box. I'm fairly certain that they will need the southwest tower for egress purposes on the south side, and no one wants to have people using their building before it's done. In addition to the press box, I could see them working on landscaping/paving, but that's it.
Frok
AG
Here are some pics from today's update. They look to be a bit behind but they are pictures nonetheless.

bgrimm05
AG
What about sitework? I wonder if any of the east plaza will be done? That sort of thing seems to always take longer than people think.
Bohica64
Are they behind schedule? Well it depends on who you ask. If you ask an IT person they will say "hell yes they are behind schedule". The project just recently (last 2 weeks)decided on a vendor for the Data/Voice network (IBM), this decision should have been made long ago. What most people don't realize is the complexity of the work needed to be done to bring a project of this size "on line" in terms of networking, months of planning, research and physical labor to install the network. This project will be using a massive amount of equipment not to mention the actual running of all the necessary cabling and misc. copper, fiber, etc.

When I look at the construction progress it seems as though they are making great strides but without a network infrastructure it's almost useless. This new stadium will rely heavily on the Data Network, I just hope it's worth all the money they saved by making a "last minute" decision. You get what you pay for.
leoj
AG
what the hell does that even mean...
First Page Last Page
Page 30 of 147

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.