Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

ESPN 30 for 30: Aggie Bonfire?

19,898 Views | 112 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Liquid Wrench
zrock
How long do you want to ignore this user?
quote:
30 for 30 on listeater.

"What if I told you, that eating a list could create a legend?"

(P.S. I hate the whole "What if I told you...?" ads for the show. It's so hacky.)
InspectionAg
AG
quote:
Just watch the modern marvels "engineering disasters" and you can get a good idea of why a bad picture can be painted of A&M related to this story of bonfire.

Modern Marvels actually covered it in a completely neutral way, IMO. Told the facts and showed the consequences, while not being overly critical of the tradition part of bonfire.

Kampfers
AG
quote:
but I think a more interesting sports documentary would be a story on Jackie's 12th man kickoff team.

This would be really cool.
Crawdaddy
AG
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the documentary that was already made about this... I believe it's called "The burning Desire"?

Absolutely awesome documentary.
Mantis Toboggan MD
ColoradoMooseHerd
I think you are crazy if you think the documentary would focus on the positive, I definitely think a 30 for 30 movie on bonfire would focus on the negative and how it was preventable
coupland boy
AG
I don't think it would outright focus on the negative but it sure wouldn't focus on the positives either which is, i think, some of you guys want out of a 30 for 30 episode. Again, the question is what would folks take away from it?
commando2004
AG
There have been documentaries about 1999 before. But it would be interesting to see one about 2002.
aggiepanther
MW03
AG
Would make a great 30 for 30 episode, but we need closure on the topic first (e.g., getting it back on campus.)
boxerLXV
That'll never happen, nor will it bring "closure".
MW03
AG
Closure for the dramatic theme of a television show. An act in three parts needs a redemptive third part before it can make a show.

Act 1: Bonfire is born and grows.
Act 2: Bonfire falls and is disavowed.
Act 3: Bonfire ???
AggieImpact
AG
Was the Wrecking Crew worthy of a 30 for 30? I'm just a young buck and didn't witness it personally.
Cancelled
AG
They should do a 30 for 30 on the time Sidelines came to A&M.
Aggroid.
quote:

They should do a 30 for 30 on the time Sidelines came to A&M.

[This message has been edited by Aggroid. (edited 10/31/2012 10:33a).]
HarleySpoon
AG
I would prefer a "Junction Boys" 30/30. Or maybe even a movie. Who would play Bear?
Aggroid.
quote:
Who would play Bear?

I feel like Tom Berenger would make a good Bear Bryant.
boxerLXV
You chose bringing it back to campus for your example. That's what e.g. means, "for example.

I'm saying that will never happen, nor will it bring closure. Because there will be those who remember that people died building the thing and refuse to have any part of it. Which will cause further division amongst Aggies.

It's bad enough we have the corps bs, frat crap, SEC bull, et al. We don't need bonfire adding to that.

Edit: the "redemption" is the memorial and possibly the lawsuits.

[This message has been edited by boxerLXV (edited 10/31/2012 10:47a).]
Aggroid.
The SEC has a bull?
boxerLXV
PFG
AG
quote:
Act 1: Bonfire is born and grows.
Act 2: Bonfire falls and is disavowed.
Act 3: Bonfire ???

Act 3: Student Bonfire works to keep history/tradion alive.

It hasn't (and may never be) accepted by the universty. You may or may not agree with what they do. But it can't be argued - they keep alive the tradions of cut, load, stack and burn.
Sid Farkas
LGBFJB
AG
quote:
I'm saying that will never happen, nor will it bring closure. Because there will be those who remember that people died building the thing and refuse to have any part of it. Which will cause further division amongst Aggies.

It's bad enough we have the corps bs, frat crap, SEC bull, et al. We don't need bonfire adding to that.

You touch on a great point here, Boxer. What made Bonfire so special to A&M was the fact that when you got out there none of that mattered. Sure, there was dorm pride, and outfit pride, etc., but ultimately Bonfire was the single most unifying activity on campus. Everyone there was putting out for the same goal. Many students didn't participate....and that was fine, too. But Aggie Bonfire was unique, and special, and helped define the Aggie Spirit.

Bonfire will never be held on-campus again. This could never happen, nor do I think it should. But the story of Bonfire is one that should be told IMHO.
Gordo14
i think it would have potential to be absolutely fantastic. of course any third party has some risk on how they present it. honestly they wouldn't be doing their job as a journalist if they didn't cover both our mistakes and the positives. I feel like it would be inappropriate to try to hide the mistakes we had. as long as they cover what was great about it too. I thought modern marvels did a great job on it.

they could show the players helping and then end it with the game against tu (including the what tu did out of respect for us). it really could be awesome. i think it's a great story and more people around the country need to know the story

[This message has been edited by gordo14 (edited 10/31/2012 12:48p).]
John E
AG
Did this documentary ever happen?
Showstopper
AG
No it was just a really stupid idea someone decided to post on Texags. I appreciate the bump though. I sometimes think this board is as dumb as it has ever been, but it's possible I've just blocked out some of the dumber things of the past. Like the people who can't figure out why this would look real bad for A&M if it happened. Well, we put a bunch of drunk kids in rope swings putting big trees together with bailing wire. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that story doesn't go real great for us.
Bone6
The problem is for it to be a great doc, that 1999 team needed to have had a better season.

8-4 and getting blanked by Penn State 24-0 in the bowl game isn't that inspirational (despite how cool the win of t.u. was).
Showstopper
AG
Plus the 1999 Alamo Bowl has been pretty well covered in quite a few sports documentaries already.
madcuz
AG
If there is a 30 for 30 featuring A&M it will be about JFF. Probably won't happen until another 5 or 6 years. Usually takes about 10 years or more for folks involved to feel like they can speak freely. Will be called " go Johnny go."
Liquid Wrench
It amazes me that people who clearly never had anything to do with Bonfire insist on clinging to the drunk kids line.
Stat Monitor Repairman
GoldenRatio said:

30 for 30 on listeater.
Bonfire is not that captivating to an outsider.

Listeater would def get big ratings.

Aubrey could get the whole gang together (including Fran). "eat donuts, not lists"

Interview random aggies.

Didn't listeater go to the game? I can't remember.

Finally end with a where is the listeater now montage.
Dallas82
coupland boy said:

Quote:

Yes it's tragic. How would that reflect bad on us though? Are you ashamed to be an aggie because of an accident?

Telling the story and history of bonfire would commemorate those that lost their life that November day.

Let's see. We're an engineering heavy university. drunkenness on a construction site was pretty much celebrated. urinating on those down below. Some of you guys constantly complain about 'ESiPN' one day and then the next accuse a fellow Ag of being ashamed when he rightly suggests that maybe we really don't want someone looking at the negatives associated with what went into Bonfire.
This. I've talked to people outside of Texas about it and they say it just points to how stupid thoughtless adhearance to traditions can cause people to completely lose track of common sense.

When I was there (around 1980) we had a bonfire that had one really big log that had been put on the stack at the very last minute. It was the largest log on the outside of the stack andin the haste of pushing the logs up this one was put up leaning to the right. A lot. My worry was that if it started to shift, it might pull the rest of the stack with it. I remember telling my then girlfriend, now wife, that we didn't want to stand anywhere near that side of the stack. Eventually they lit it and the band was standing where that log was aimed. They played and I crossed my fingers. About 20 minutes after they had quit and moved away, that log shifted and pulled the entire stack down onto the spot where the bann had been a few minutes earlier. If the band had still been there, we would have lost as many as 100 people.

In 1994, the bonfire collapsed and we lost 12 Aggies, the stack slumped over on soft soil a few days before the game.

Nobody was hurt, and the stack was taken apart and built again and nobody learned anything from that.

Texas A&M, suposedly an Engineering college, went right back to the original way of build the stack and crossed our fingers. Five years later we lost 12 Aggies. And almost instantly we wanted to build it again the next year.

I hate to say it, but I wish we would just stop. Outside of this university, it is a reminder of how stupid students can be. How many common sense rules could be broken and how many lessons could be ignored.

Raptor
AG
Dallas82 said:

Eventually they lit it and the band was standing where that log was aimed. They played and I crossed my fingers. About 20 minutes after they had quit and moved away, that log shifted and pulled the entire stack down onto the spot where the bann had been a few minutes earlier. If the band had still been there, we would have lost as many as 100 people.

Let's say the stack is 35 feet tall. No one should ever be allowed closer than 70 feet.

Let's say the stack is 75 feet tall. No one should ever be allowed closer than 150 feet.

Let's say the stack is 125 feet tall. No one should ever be allowed closer than 250 feet.

I'm not a math major, but allowing anyone close enough that a falling stack could crush them should be grounds for a lawsuit.

This post is for Cretaceous Level Subscribers only.

Jimmy_the_gent
AG
ABC Nightline did a special on the bonfire about two years ago, other than that, the 12th man has the Burning Desire documentary which is very nice.
sharpdressedman
I don't trust espn to do a factual, compassionate story on the Bonfire collapse.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.