Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Question about John David Crow

37,890 Views | 30 Replies | Last: 11 yr ago by busmasterjones91
vansprinkle
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

Anyone know why the left side of Crow's face always has a droop? When I was younger I thought he purposefully made the face to look mean, I later learned that he has that same look in every picture.

I've done a little internet research and haven't seen mention of it. It seems like maybe he had a stroke, but that's doubtful with all of his pictures from college having the same look, and the fact that he had a successful college and pro career.
TexasAggiesWin
S
He had Bell's palsy I believe
vansprinkle
AG
Thanks, that would make sense.

quote:
Bell's palsy is a paralysis of the facial nerve, the nerve that supplies the facial muscles on one side of the face. Bell's palsy is also called facial nerve paralysis. The cause of facial nerve paralysis is often not known, but is thought to be due to a virus. The facial nerve is the 7th cranial nerve. The disease typically starts suddenly and causes paralysis of the muscles of the side of the face on which the facial nerve is affected.

Kim Mulkey from Baylor was recently diagnosed w/ this.
crowman2010
AG
T'was a cousin of mine
BoxingAg84
quote:
A person famous in the athletic world who has a dramatic and life-long Bell's palsy is John David Crow, the Texas A. and M. fullback who won the Heisman Trophy in 1957: John David Crow. Notice the left side of the mouth droops even though the photo was made to minimize the appearance of assymetry. In fact, it give John the rugged manly appearance for which he is famous. John's is a partial Bell's palsy as his eyelid is not affected.

http://www.medical-library.net/content/view/817/41/
vansprinkle
AG
quote:
In fact, it give John the rugged manly appearance for which he is famous.

Yeah, this is why I always thought it was just his look for football. Makes him look mean as hell.
johnny boyziel
It is not bells palsy. He was born with his umbilical cord wrapped around his neck, which caused him to have a minor stroke. I read about it in some where are they now book about former A&M football players.
johnny boyziel
http://books.google.com/books?id=GQDQEuvkzjwC&pg=PA48&lpg=PA48&dq=john+david+crow+umbilical&source=bl&ots=c2DzGUJyih&sig=3AF-blndPxO8bmZad0xmbICaCfs&hl=en&ei=aZ2eSsj-B4SsswOM6vEh&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1#v=onepage&q=john%20david%20crow%20umbilical&f=false

I win.

[This message has been edited by johnny boyziel (edited 8/14/2012 1:54p).]
70JACK
Bell's palsy. I believe Coach Bryant located a surgeon to help try to give hime some relief with the problem. Heard that from one of his teammates.

[This message has been edited by 70JACK (edited 8/14/2012 2:21p).]
ashley
None of you are correct. This was caused be the doctors forcep's during birth. I have known him a little for over ffifty years. His brother coached me in high school and told me the story.

[This message has been edited by ashley (edited 8/14/2012 3:07p).]
VanZandt92
Perhaps it was a minor stroke, but a stroke affecting only the facial nerve seems unlikely.
VanZandt92
Direct trauma and Bells are the logical answers
milner79
ashley ftw
johnny boyziel
Johnny WILL win the next heisman.

[This message has been edited by johnny boyziel (edited 8/17/2012 1:38a).]
TexasAggiesWin
S
^

Crow's Face

This newspaper says it's forceps, that book says umbilical cord, internet says it's Bell's palsy...

coastalaggie87
good article Jonny
ashley
I am sorry but I got it directly from a family member, but it certainly not something to argue about.

[This message has been edited by ashley (edited 8/14/2012 3:21p).]
tree91
AG
The book on John David by Dan Jenkins is worth a read.

http://www.amazon.com/John-David-Crow-Champion-Legends/dp/1570281653
BoxingAg84
Why doesn't Gabe just have JDC on the show and ask him the real story.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
Great idea; I can totally see Gabe getting JDC on the show and saying, "Dude, so...what's up with your face?"

I don't think so.
Aggies
"John David was tangled up in the umbilical cord when he was born. The cord wrapped around his head, causings severe nerve
damage, preventing him from moving the left side of his face below the eye, causing a never-ending grimace"
shinerbalk
just so you know...The Umbilical cord was wrapped around his neck at birth.
Buck Nasty
AG
I heard it was because the umbilical cord was wrapped around his neck at birth
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
I heard he gnawed through the umbilical cord and delivered himself, because he's John Damn David Crow!
DanTanna86
AG
Yeah yeah yeah the umbilical cord was wrapped around his neck at birth. But it was the channel locks the doctor used to free the little guy that caused the trauma.

THE BEST College Football Power Rankings..www.DanTanna.com
Jim Benson 63
AG
JDC tells the umbilical cord story in his first book, so I believe that is correct.
ashley
I have always beleived his older brother Raymond Crow.
milner79
... is it football season yet? ...
Hellbent
AG
It was a birth injury. Not Bell's Palsy.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
I'm not sure, but I think ashley knows someone in Crow's family.
busmasterjones91
AG
I would trust a personal account over a press account. I have seen the press butcher facts in order to get a story. It may be very unintentional, but facts and fact checking easily gets lost in article notes and under a deadline, the truth is past over more often than most care to admit.

So I vote for ashely's account. It is close to the published u cord account, but just off enough to where I can see the press messing up the story.
busmasterjones91
AG
Parachute for this:

quote:

I heard he gnawed through the umbilical cord and delivered himself, because he's John Damn David Crow!

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.