Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

A&M to far west for the SEC?

9,376 Views | 62 Replies | Last: 13 yr ago by Ramp5
Northgate_89
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Drive to two West games, fly to one East game every friggin' year. That's more than I do (or want to do) in the lame duck conference. Former Student in Dallas is looking forward to the road trips.
I Should Be Working
AG
meh. till this year...

College Station to Lincoln, NE: 806 miles

College Station to Boulder, CO: 972 miles (17 hours in a Ford Fiesta for the 1995 game)

txcodeman777
I LOVE ROAD TRIPS!!!!
7thGenTexan
AG
quote:
You southern boys need to understand that us Texans

You people from the USA need to understand that us Americans....

I know, I know, our Yankee transplants and West Texans don't consider us Southern. They all know those Texas accents come from New Hampshire.
aggiebones
AG
1000 miles to Florida or 90 miles to Baylor?

...no contest.
Agsuffering@bulaw
Op- interesting point, but where in the Big 12 besides college station is worth visiting for a game?

Norman, tu. Thats about it. Look, you can tell the quality of a program by the size of its stadium- real programs have a minimum 80k stadium.

Yes, it is nice to drive the hour and a half (10 minutes for me currently) to Waco and take over the stadium, but its JV.

I would rather have 1 good trip to an SEC destination than go see half-baked (or quarter-baked in Baylor's case) football environments.
P.C. Principal
Arky has to make pretty long drives too, being up in NW Arkansas. Really a ton of schools go a long way for conference games. Colorado, Florida, Miami, Boston College, Utah, and now Nebraska.
roboag
AG
Arky doesn't count since that game is expected to stay in Dallas.
Baron de Bastrop
AG
The real number to look at is the ratio of distance to the game divided by the interest in attending the game. If you do the math that way, you'll see the SEC "Effective Distance" is much much lower than any conference
Incorrect, sir!
Agsuffering@bulaw...you forgotthe best Big XII road trip of all: Nebraska! Oh, they left last year? Welp, see ya later!
BillOnCapitolHill
I hate to be a d-ck but the word it "too".

Welcome to TAs
Skywalk
Better than any other conference. I don't expect to travel to every game but would like to go to each stadium at least once.
ctiger69
Florida is actually closer than Texas A&M. SEC is all about tradition. Since 1933 the world's largest cocktail party has been played in Jacksonville, FL. Tradition is king in the SEC.

Florida's Distance

UGA= 68 miles
USC= 357 miles
Tenn= 548 miles
Vandy= 585 miles
UK= 715 miles

Averages:

Florida to SEC East: 454 miles
Texas A&M to SEC West: 597 miles

Honestly, for Florida you can throw Vandy and Kentucky out the door b/c those are not big games. Florida's biggest games are against Tenn, UGA, and USC which are very close.

Texas A&M games against Alabama and Auburn would be huge but they are the longest drive for A&M in the SEC west.
Rydyn
AG
_WHEN_ the Big12 falls apart, I'd still rather go East than West.
AgNFla
AG
Aside from distances, I think traveling to SEC schools will be much better for traveling A&M fans. There are a few of us outside of Texas that living in SEC states that are chomping at the bit to attend A&M away games. How many A&M alumni or students are willing or able to travel to PAC 12-16 sites?
RenoAggie03
AG
Actually if you take out the FL-GA game, the average is 551 miles for FL.

Remember we play Arky in Dallas? That's only 183 miles.

So the avg distance for the rest of the SEC West from College Station is 613 miles. Not that different from FL's distance to the SEC East schools (551 miles)...
Triple-T
AG
SOLUTION: 1-800-I-FLY-SWA

WHOOP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TTT '96
Swan Song of the SWC
ensign_beedrill
AG
The Oklahoma schools are closer to us than Tech.
Bluecat_Aggie94
AG
We admittedly lose two close games in Austin and Waco.

Outside of those two, it's about an even swap.
CDub06
AG
And we'll still probably play Texas.

Not to mention you should be comparing the entire Big 12 (there is no Big 12 South) to the SEC West.

The nice thing is that we now have Airports all over the south making it easy for us (and our student athletes) to fly to their destination. Not a big deal to add 20 minutes to a flight.
stantheman01
AG
Too
cjo2013
That's what television is for
Herne the Hunter
quote:
Hope you guys and gals love long road trips, lol

You do realize that half of the games will be in College Station, right?????
Ninety3Ag
AG
I have made road trips from Central Texas to the Tuscaloosa area several times. It's actually a pretty relaxed drive. Texans are used to long drives....and driving East is a hell of alot more enjoyable than driving West in terms of scenery....especially if you like trees.
andy_aggie
AG
Having done the trip to Lawrence, KS, last year, I can honestly say I would be much more willing to go that far and more to see some of the great SEC venues, with the great tailgating and the passionate fans. That's what makes it fun, not a tarp bowl in Waco.

Imagine - Neyland Stadium, watching a game between the hedges, being at the Swamp - not much of that in the dying conference we inhabit for just a little while longer.

Plus, any real Texan knows driving is just part of the deal. I always laugh when out of state at the road signs to cross three states in the milage that doesn't even get me to the Frio River from Dallas.
MarvsMustang
AG
My brother went to Auburn. I've made that trip several times now. No big deal.
Aftermath
AG
A Large % of Aggie fans live in Houston ,Dallas, East Texas areas. These are easy drives to Ark.(in Dallas for now) LSU, Ole Miss,Starkville,even Bama, and Southwest flies to Nashville. Aggies will take any available seats.
Die Hard
Looks like Arkansas, Kentucky, & Florida all have long road trips like A&M. Not every team can be near the center of a major conference. Big10 and Pac12 are the other major conferences and they have the very same if not worse travel issues for programs located on the region borders. Big12 is no longer a major conference so it's travel distances don't count.

[This message has been edited by Die Hard (edited 9/13/2011 11:22a).]
Ramp5
AG
"To(o) far west". This would have merit if it was 1953 and the teams rode buses.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.