Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Jaime Hill - BYU Defensive Coordinator

14,837 Views | 82 Replies | Last: 13 yr ago by phildickinson1
LNB
How long do you want to ignore this user?
quote:
I don't start the threads. I don't choose your XFL DCoors. I don't rag on TT's new DC James Willis for his XFL days.

I just point out how confused and silly you guys are for saying such things.

Good luck with this guy. God knows him turning you down (too) would be Tennessee'esque at this point, and quiet embarrassing.

Too easy...

How are we confused and silly? For thinking that Willis playing the the XFL is funny? It IS. How does that make us confused or silly? Are you really talking about coaches giving a school the Heisman? Your coach of 10 years finally got so ****ing tired of your fans' ridiculous b.s. that he LEFT you for a DIVISION RIVAL. For the record, you annoying tool, I think Coach Hill spending time in the XFL is also pretty funny. Are you this pathetic that you can't recognized regular, normal smack talk? WIth how awful and just plain awkward your's is, that wouldn't surprise me. I love it....this guy's over here MONITORING smack talk that doesn't involve his team or school at all. Lord, you must have such a complex.
LNB
Quick....hurry up and make another post where you play it all off, and act like the joke's on us.
Outrigger
Why do you want to promote our DB coach when he has never been a coordinator, and obviously isn't ready or he would already have the job?
Dave Robicheaux
AG
LNB with the fatal blow. will SFRL recover? stay tuned..
monarch
S
Hang on for a second and think.

Just because a guy doesnt coach at a "name" school- BCS -that doesn't mean he isnt a quality talent. There are some great coaches at other levels in football. What counts is the body of work on the field. Ask OU how good BYU is and ask UCLA and others that BYU has hammered into the ground in the past few years. Ask UH about AFA and ask OU- again- about Boise.

Sherm knows what he wants and evidently he sees something in all three of the guys that appear to be major candidates so let this play out. We don't know what transpired in Orlando or what this guys connection is to Sherm. Trust Sherm- he knows what he is doing; remember, an announcment is scheduled for tomorrow and which guy is in CS right now? Where are the other two candidates? They aren't here; this guy is.

"Get your licks in while you can..."
shiftyandquick
if I were going to try and pick up a MWC DC I would try and get Rocky Long from SDSU. Former HC at New Mexico. Guy was a winner at New Mexico, which was considered impossible.
83Aggie
AG

[This message has been edited by 83Aggie (edited 1/17/2010 3:48p).]
monarch
S
No to Rocky Long; got drummed out of his alma mater-UNM-even though he did make them competitive.

Let Sherm handle this. There are no Gary Darnell's in this group of three.

Spyderman
AG
You never know how these things will eventually work out. I'm very impressed with JH's on-camera personality and his BYU's D's speak for themselves. I hope Jaime is offered and we get a surprise announcement tomorrow. We need someone who wants to be here I do think at this point.
monarch
S
Spyderman:

I agree with you 100%. If this guy is offered and he wants it and he says so- take him and don't look back. Lets get on with it- we have football to play. Hell, someone call the Hilton and see if he has a room for tonight and tomorrow- if he does, then this is our guy.

shiftyandquick
Rocky Long did not get drummed out of NM.

Moreover the wheels have completely fallen off since he left.

[This message has been edited by shiftyandquick (edited 1/17/2010 3:52p).]
TxAginAz
AG
Yes, Rocky long ran some very good Defenses at NMU.

Who knows? Maybe he's happy at SDSU and he just got there last year after being let go at NMU because of some recruiting violations and stuff. I don't think Coach Sherman was even looking in his direction with that kind of baggage on him.

*********************************************************************************************************************
"Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentation of their women."

monarch
S
Rocky Long was catching a lot of heat when he left because even though he made the Lobos competitive, he wasn't making progress. People didn't like that. Drummed might be a strong term, but I would suspect that going from a HC position, even at UNM, to a DC's position at SDSU is not what I would call an upward job movement.

In reference to the current situation at UNM, they should have left Rocky alone. UNM have been better off.

[This message has been edited by monarch (edited 1/17/2010 4:00p).]
leoj
AG
we could do worse, and if it's him or continuing to interview, I take him and I'm on the bandwagon.
Spyderman
AG
Additionally, what A&M seriously lacks is talent and depth on D. Go view those YOUTUBE clips and tell me parents would not want their kid to play for this man. Got a good feeling here...
monarch
S
I'm on your side Spyderman.

Case settled.

The Asset 07
AG
Jaime isn't necessary a Spanish name, but yes it's with a silent J.

I actually think this is a better indicator now because we have a common opponent. They beat OU even though that was Laundry Jones' first live action so he was pretty bad. But I don't think OU can get 50 points better by the time they played us so the point remains. They also have to practice against BYU's high octane offense, so you know this guy can bring it.

Sherman's list of candidates are ok in my book.
monarch
S
Sherm's candidates are OK; all we have to do is find the one that wants us.

AA

monarch
S
Under Mr. Hill's direction, the Y has done the following:
Beat OU
Beat UCLA twice
Beat UNM four times
Beat AFA four times
Beat TCU twice
Beat Utah twice
Beat Oregon once
Lost to Fla St
Lost to BC

Not a bad record against some quality programs (well, maybe not UNM, but you catch my drift)

Coshatte Ag
I thought Bronco ran the defense, am I wrong?
monarch
S
According to the bio, Hill is the DC.

kellerags
Hill took over DC for the 2008 season. The year before, total defense rank was 10th.

In 2008, they were 58th.
This year 28th.
monarch
S
Light years from we have been...

bigjag19
AG
He is very knowledgable, lots of experience. I had a 3 hour dinner and discussion with him last year while he was recruiting in Texas. Would be an awesome hire really.
jwal
After considering the common opponent argument vs. OU and looking over the teams that he has coached against and beaten listed by other posters, THIS man may be the best candidate of the top bunch I've heard mentioned here.
mynameishowardbender
What did y'all talk about, Jag?
CinchAG97
So is Jaime responsible for the defense or is the head coach, Bronco Mendenhall, former BYU DC, the brains behind the defense there?

Sort of like, is Nolan Cromwell credited for our offense, or is it Mike Sherman?

That's a big concern to me.

Maybe Jaime will be brought on as a position coach under Tim DeRuyter.
bigjag19
AG
We talked about the various places he has coached, the challenge of recruiting for BYU, the state of A&M. This was a couple of months before his first season with BYU so he was excited about the challenge.
Quantum ace
AG
I bet he would be good for recruiting athletes out of some of the more urban areas.
5C
AG
I am in no way a racist... but this could be our "token black interviewee"

Just saying...
ffco
quote:
They also have to practice against BYU's high octane offense, so you know this guy can bring it.

In college, how often does the #1 D scrimmage against the #1 O?

I see this point made quite often...it doesn't sound true to me.
TxAginAz
AG
I kinda doubt the "token interview" stuff. BYU's D is at a comparable level to AF and Boise ST. And way better than ours has been.

And if AF's DC deal doesn't get done today for whatever reason, we need another good DC ASAP.

*********************************************************************************************************************
"Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentation of their women."

[This message has been edited by TxAginAz (edited 1/18/2010 9:49a).]
GEA89
AG
He is not a token, he is African American and that is something required these days but he is more than qualified to get an interview with us. He is a good coach and a good man from what can be told by public info.
BESCo91
AG
- If 'The Rooter' doesn't work out, I think Jaime Hill would be an EXCELLENT choice.
- Though I am anxious to hear an announcement, I am VERY happy that A&M/Sherm are interviewing top shelf coaches.

Gig Em,
Looking Forward to 2010,
BESCo91

BTW, I live in Colorado Springs...rumors around here are that Rooter heads to A&M.
BESCo91
AG
- If 'The Rooter' doesn't work out, I think Jaime Hill would be an EXCELLENT choice.
- Though I am anxious to hear an announcement, I am VERY happy that A&M/Sherm are interviewing top shelf coaches.

Gig Em,
Looking Forward to 2010,
BESCo91

BTW, I live in Colorado Springs...rumors around here are that Rooter heads to A&M.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.