Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

T-Murph

97,396 Views | 375 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by cj774
Face
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
It's as Gumby as the nose on Plain's me?
BetaAg07
AG
Mcinnis
TexanJeff
AG
What the hell happened here, and why did people bring this up again exactly??
mgmgrand
AG
Holy...

WOW. This is my first time to see this thread.

Can't say I'm too surprised though, this just makes a lot of sense as to why it sucked being an Aggie Football fan during my childhood
stir8ag
quote:
The players all read these boards and I check them every other day or so. Remember in 2006 when the team was always saying we are playing for ourselves this team and not the university. That�s because these boards and others like it were so negative that we didn�t care about anything other than playing for the guys next to you.

I'd never seen this thread before but I played/graduated in 06 (Grant Dickey) and I think it would surprise a lot of the posters here on texags to know how often players get on these boards and how aware they are of the pulse of the fan support (or lack there of in a lot of cases).

Now that Im done playing I spend a lot more time on here because its a lot more enjoyable when the guys your reading about arent your close friends, roommates, teammates etc...

As for the Fran deal... As Dodge mentioned, his motivational skills weren't great and he could have handled some things differently to get more out of the players. In general, I always felt like the "team" aspect in the locker room was more in spite of him rather than a result of his efforts to bring everyone together. In other words, you were close to your teammates then because it was a great group of guys that cared about each other and you wanted to play for each other...not necessarily for Fran in my opinion.

I can see a lot of truth in what T.Murph is saying and also Dodge. I can tell you that having known both of them (Ive actually know Murph since high school) that both of those two guys are as good as gold and when they give an opinion on something like this, they're speaking with no ulterior motives towards Fran or anyone else.
Mr2010aTm
AG
^ I feel bad for you guys (players that read TA) at times. There will be the argument that "if you don't like it, don't read it" or "it comes with the territory" but some of the **** people say on here is ridiculous.
AustinAgJT
AG
Thought this thread may be a good one to make my first post on....

I also played under fran (not capitalized for a reason) during my time in College Station. To be more specific, I shared his exact years there...committed to Slocum's staff, re-committed to fran's staff, red shirted, played 4 years, and then watchedfran announce his "stepping down" in the locker room after whooping Texas.

Grant says it well in his description that we really did have a strong player bond in result of our feelings towards our head coach. As important as our bond to each other was, it still didn't hide the giant disconnect with fran. Good teams thrive off of top down management in my opinion. You have kids ranging up to 5 years in age from all different walks of life and a nucleus is needed.

To understand T-Murph's comments, you need to understand his love and big brother like feelings for his peers and teammates. He, like most of us, saw through fran and where his true priorities were, which revolved around him at all costs. In short, Murph goes to bat for good people and won't shy away from exposing the not so good people. My first time I made it to the end zone, a second had not passed before Murph was in my face getting crunk and hugging me. Great dude!

Obviously there is some hesitation in making a post like this and hopefully it does not come off as fishing for pity. I usually avoid people asking me about fran because my true answer could make it seem like I don't handle authority well (not something you want to portray in the working realm). I just find it interesting to give perspective and for other people to get a little nugget of insight to different eras of there beloved school. Every school and player have their own stories of good and bad, why not share them. Let me also say, these comments do not pertain to his assistant coaches, as I am still close to my position coach to this day.

As far as players reading TexAgs and being careful what you say on the boards, I couldn't disagree more. First of all, you barely have any time to routinely get on any website. Second, TexAgs was always fun and FUNNY to read. I can't tell you how much entertainment we all got from player look a likes. Yeah, there might be something negative posted about you but it won't be something you haven't already heard. In terms of ranking what affects your psyche most, if a bunch of faceless posters from a website is up there, you have other issues.

I apologize for dwelling on the past, as we have a team to be extremely proud and excited for. I CANNOT wait for September 4th and to Beat The Hell Out Of SMU.

Happy Memorial Day weekend.... make it a good one!
Chubster
Thanks for the insights stir8ag and AustinAgJT. Hope you guys continue posting, nice to have perspective of players that have played football at A&M.
1876er
AG
JT= Joey Thomas?

What I'd like to know is how he got guys like Tellus, Goodson, and Von to come here? Von goes undrafted if fran would have stayed. Now he is the #2 pick and a great ambassador for A&M.

[This message has been edited by 1876er (edited 5/28/2011 10:36a).]
beerad12man
AG
Yeah, it's got to be Joey Thomas.
beerad12man
AG
Favoritism. I think that was the biggest problem here. He made it clear that he didn't care about 90% of the players on the team. Just my take on it.
Ancalagon06
so many players posted...
Smilin Jack Ross
AG
Joey Thomas was a damn good player, so were all these guys that got brought up in this thread. Too bad Fran is a gutless terd.
ImWhatTigersDreamOf
AG
wow....I can't believe how old my post on p1 is....geez i used to live on these damn boards in college...
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
had heard in year 2 or so of the team's disgust with Fran but chalked it up to an agenda of the person telling me this.

guess i shoulda believe him. i will always believe that the mistake was not in deciding to make a move at head coach..the mistake was choosing the guy we chose.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
oh and btw...i know T-Murph on a personal level..the guy is as good as they come. he makes a great ambassador for our great school.
OilfieldAg
quote:
I read on these boards all the time how much we sucked and I didn’t think that was all so true but I am kind of biased.

I'm sorry about the stuff I posted during and after the Miami game in 2007. I was drunk.

Aston04
AG
quote:
had heard in year 2 or so of the team's disgust with Fran but chalked it up to an agenda of the person telling me this.

guess i shoulda believe him. i will always believe that the mistake was not in deciding to make a move at head coach..the mistake was choosing the guy we chose.

Heard the same too from an invited walk-on that made the 2-deep under Slocum and then Fran during year 1. I brushed it off as well, but obviously there was a lot of truth underneath.
AWP 97
AG
If Fran was that bad, I wish players/parents would have gone to Byrne and complained. At least, Fran may not have received an extension. Every year earlier he was gone would put us that much further ahead now. Oh, well!
ElwoodBlues20
itsyourboypookie
Weird bump
joerobert_pete06
AG
What was the original image
12law
AG
Well, I would rather be complaining about Ohio State and not making the playoff than I would about Fran being the absolute train wreck he was. The things TexAgs complains about now is much better than back then. Thanks Sherman, kinda Sumlin, and definitely Jimbo!
MaroonSpirit
AG
Agreed, what was the original image?
ElwoodBlues20
AG
I know. Actually replied on accident, and thought I'd deleted it. Sorry, all.

But I'd completely forgotten about this thread from the time it was live. Makes you appreciate what we've got going now.
spherical
AG
Some kind of old tweet in black and white ... back then we only had 140 characters to get our point across...
cj774
AG
spherical said:

Some kind of old tweet in black and white ... back then we only had 140 characters to get our point across...

Yeah but what did it say?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.