Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

T-Murph

97,411 Views | 375 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by cj774
SigChiDad
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Mark Dodge, 12-7 was my second favorite in person Aggie moment. My class of '12 daughter(a high school junior at the time) still calls it the greatest day in her life. My son was a fish in the FTAB that year, and we had to drive him down to Reagan High School to hook up with the rest of the band that morning. We were able to buy tickets from a scalper...$200.00 each...best money I've ever spent! I sure thought your pick was gonna be wasted at the end, like the Nebraska game!But, it wasn't!

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!!
Preferred Nomenclature
mothball
thanks for being on the receiving end of a pong beat down
StringerBell
AG
was it ahmard hall? will never forget dodge standing up the texas fb on 4th down in that 2006 game.

probably gave up about 20 pounds to the guy, but dodge stood him up and drove him back.
toucan82
it was henry melton

great play by dodge
StringerBell
AG
that's right. my bad.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Mark,

Welcome to the boards. There are several things you should know. Not everyone here is an Aggie (so being absolutely candid may not be ideal). Also, some people are *******s because they can hide behind their usernames while being a dewsh - say things they'd never say face to face...

I prefer to remain anonymous but remain genuine and civil in my manners.

Thanks for offering to share your experiences with the board.

Gig'em
Fleen
Dan Scott, I'll take Murph's word over yours...
HotardAg07
AG
Mark Dodge's comments reminds me of the players manual that Sherman provided to the players. He defined the different types of players that occur on football teams and basically outlined a lot of common faults that players have. In my life I've seen a lot of very talented people that weren't motivated, that were entitled, that didn't have their head screwed on straight, that were selfish, etc. In my opinion, the kind of players that Sherman is looking for are the selfless, hard working players like Dodge, McGee, Elder, etc. that had no problem working hard for him. I think it's apparent that Fran had isseus reaching the guys who didn't fall into that mold and didn't get them to cross the line and do things the right way.

[This message has been edited by HotardAg07 (edited 1/8/2010 10:32a).]
nevdodge
How much of the motivation for individuals falls on the head coach vs. coordinators/position coaches?

I think motivation comes from both sets of coaches but ultimately falls on the head coach. I want everyone to know I love Coach Fran and will always back him but…. I think he did not stand up as he should to some players the way he should. Fran was not great a pre game speeches that just wasn’t his style. He didn’t yell but he new the game and new his player’s strengths on the field. As a leader you have to find ways to motivate your players in different ways because they come from different backgrounds. I think Fran should have set the tone for his Coaches to follow and that just was never done.

My question: did you see Fran demean any players and was there a general dislike for him by the players?

No, Fran never did anything to demean any players. Fran didn’t grab any player by the face mask or really get in your face at all unless you really did something. One thing though he did not give much of a chance to walk-ons which I personally think was an injustice to them because ALL of them because they worked harder than most Scholarship players and some where good enough to play. My personal opinion I like the way Sherman sets the standard and sticks with it. He will do this university well if he is allowed to mold this program.

Regards and Gig’em,
1876er
AG
quote:
There were some players that were tough and some that were soft. The soft players are bitter.

T-Murph and Earv were not soft.
Dan Scott
AG
I don't know anything like most people here but want to learn what really happened because being an Aggie Football fan I think this is really interesting. Kitchens on this thread said he never heard about Fran being physically abusive to players, and hopefully this doesn't get me banned but Billy said on the M&W that he has never heard Fran do anything weird to players like that of what Leach did, and Mark Dodge just said he never had an issue with how Fran treated the players and that he thinks players didn't like him because Fran expected a lot from them and some players didn't put out the work.

So based off the information that I now know and that’s from what Kitchens, Billy and Dodge have posted, I'm wondering what has made T-Murph and others so pissed off. He hasn't said and he doesn’t have to say anything but to me it comes off as being bitter. I don't think it is smart of him to post something like that on facebook and not say anything about it. These kind of accusations are damaging to a coach's career and Fran already has it hard enough with his coaching ability to get another job, he doesn't need this
oh no
AG
wow, nevdodge, thanks for your input. Your perspective is great insight for us.
nevdodge
Just to clarify, TMurph is a great friend and he was and is a hard worker and great Aggie. And Ervin worked as hard or harder then I did. I am not going to take sides but rather just give the experiences I had during my two amazing years.
94chem
I think we could sum this whle thread up by saying what we already knew:

Fran was a decent guy who had major personality issues that rubbed a lot of people the wrong way. If he had been a winner, nobody would have noticed or cared.

[This message has been edited by 94chem (edited 1/8/2010 11:00a).]
cheeky
AG
quote:
Fran was not great a(sic) pre game speeches that just wasn�t his style.

Anyone who witnessed Fran leading the team to the field for the Cotton Bowl against Tennessee could see that. It looked like a funeral procession. Come to think of it, it was.
taz997
Your account is from 2006, how often do you read these boards?
powerbiscuit
thanks Dodge, it was a pleasure watching a guy who really gave it his all
GI
Mark, 3 questions for you:

1. What is your personal opinion of Bill Byrne as an athletic director? Did he let the coaches do their jobs or was he a "helicopter boss" like Al Davis or Jerry Jones?

2. Why do you think A&M Football has struggled so much this past decade? Is it coaching, talent, a combination, or something else?

3. Have you considered returning to service? If so, have you thought about OCS?
AggieAtty
AG
4. What is the wingspan of an African swallow?
nevdodge
The players all read these boards and I check them every other day or so. Remember in 2006 when the team was always saying we are playing for ourselves this team and not the university. That’s because these boards and others like it were so negative that we didn’t care about anything other than playing for the guys next to you.

1. What is your personal opinion of Bill Byrne as an athletic director? Did he let the coaches do their jobs or was he a "helicopter boss" like Al Davis or Jerry Jones?

Truthfully I have no idea; I didn’t see Mr. Byrne much or talk with him so I can answer that.

2. Why do you think A&M Football has struggled so much this past decade? Is it coaching, talent, a combination, or something else?

I can’t talk for the previous years before me but the two years I was there I didn’t think we were that bad, 9-3 in 2006 and 6 points from 12-0. Not a bad year. 2007 was a little different, high expectations and we just didn’t perform up to the level we should’ve. But 7-4 is not horrible but we should have won the bowl game and I think if Fran coaches that game we win. All in all Ok not great but ok. I read on these boards all the time how much we sucked and I didn’t think that was all so true but I am kind of biased.

3. Have you considered returning to service? If so, have you thought about OCS?

I am actually going to return to the service shortly, I would have right out of college but I wanted to see what the business world was like. I have already put in a packet for the Navy reserve as a Public Affairs Officer. It’s pretty competitive so I hope I am selected, but I wont find out until 1 February.
GI
If you wanted to wear the green (blue now) again, the approving authority for OCS is the local recruiting battalion commander. (O5)

[This message has been edited by GI (edited 1/8/2010 11:39a).]
ATL Aggie
AG
quote:
The players all read these boards and I check them every other day or so. Remember in 2006 when the team was always saying we are playing for ourselves this team and not the university. That�s because these boards and others like it were so negative that we didn�t care about anything other than playing for the guys next to you.

This should be mandatory reading before anyone is allowed make a single post.
StringerBell
AG
quote:
I am actually going to return to the service shortly, I would have right out of college but I wanted to see what the business world was like. I have already put in a packet for the Navy reserve as a Public Affairs Officer. It�s pretty competitive so I hope I am selected, but I wont find out until 1 February.

God bless you.

You're a good man.
GI
quote:
Remember in 2006 when the team was always saying we are playing for ourselves this team and not the university. That�s because these boards and others like it were so negative that we didn�t care about anything other than playing for the guys next to you.

We were so angry that Franchione was not fired after the 2005 season in which we started ranked #17 and ended 5-6 with the worst pass defense in FBS. I stopped donating after that season.

[This message has been edited by GI (edited 1/8/2010 11:56a).]
astros45
I hope our players don't get upset from reading these boards, they should be read to find inspiration that apparently Fran couldn't give them in halftime speeches.

Hopefully, our players won't have to resort to reading these boards with Sherman at the helm, but I will always be here to give advice
AndrewstheMAN
Staff
AG
Mark--My name is Andrew and I work here at TexAgs. Whenever we have former players posting on the site we like to have a quick conversation with them when we realize who they are. Could you send me an email (the one in your account doesn't seem to work)? My email is Andrew@TexAgs.com.

Thanks and Gig 'Em!
OleRock02
AG
Edit:

Meant to say, Andrew please don't ruin this for us. It's not often we get to have a conversation with a former football player.

Didn't sound right the first time.

[This message has been edited by OleRock02 (edited 1/8/2010 11:58a).]
Tex100
AG
Always respect anything Mr. Dodge has to say.
CDub06
AG
Good man
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Big bad staff is here to ruin the fun (just kidding Andrew )
Agz_2003
AG
Mark:
Thanks for all your hard work and dedication to our country and university - you are a great Aggie. Gig 'em.
TxAginAz
AG
Mark Dodge.

Straight up guy.

I wish you could have had as many years as Shipley.

*********************************************************************************************************************
"Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentation of their women."

[This message has been edited by TxAginAz (edited 1/8/2010 12:03p).]
Gradin
AG
I always thought he was a standup player and guy.
Shelton98
AG
Yeah, but how many stars did he have coming out of high school?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.