Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

A&M vs Arky 1975

10,640 Views | 86 Replies | Last: 15 yr ago by BQ78
Johnny2Fan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBabrlQgfJA
JuliusCaesarAggie
Nickelback.....alright!!!

-----------------------------------------------------------
rwtxag83
AG
Probably the most painful single Aggie loss of my life.
Post removed:
by user
BrenhamAg0412
AG
Since I wasn't born until 1981, someone want to tell me the significance of this game?
Ervin Burrell
AG
quote:
Since I wasn't born until 1981, someone want to tell me the significance of this game?

A&M was fresh off of killing the sips, and ranked #2 in the country. A win @Arky and they'd have been playing for the MNC.
pockets
AG
And # 1 had lost earlier in the day!
BrenhamAg0412
AG
Gotcha
BrenhamAg0412
AG
I guess that I could google it, but were we expected to beat Arky? were they having a good season?
Hey Nav
AG
You can read about it here, starting on page 33:

http://vault.sportsillustrated.cnn.com/edb/reader.html?magID=SI&issueDate=19751208&mode=reader_vault

[This message has been edited by Hey Nav (edited 1/11/2009 6:41p).]
UntoldSpirit
AG
I prefer to remember these (1975 & 1985):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6BAoN9pq6c

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGkrzJhviJw
Palooza11
AG
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6BAoN9pq6c&feature=channel_page

love jackie at the end of this video. my goodness...that defense

question for old ags: was there any bad blood between us and arkansas? i know we played in the SWC, just wondering.

[This message has been edited by Palooza11 (edited 1/11/2009 6:44p).]
lotoarmy
AG
We were playing the game after tu because it was seen early as one of the best games of the year and moved to be one of the last tv games. There wasn't nearly as many tv games in those days.

Last of the Old Army
BrenhamAg0412
AG
Thanks Nav
aggieband 83
AG
I was in 8th grade. Me and Daddy (Class of '59) were watching the game. Up until that time of my life I had never really seen Dad get upset. Watching that game and seeing how he reacted was a shock to me. In my mind A&M had just been a place that Dad had gone to school. I had no clue that being an Aggie continued after you had graduated. Even though the Ags blew a shot at the MNC that year, it stoked a fire in me to see what this Texas Aggie stuff was all about!
lotoarmy
AG
If I remember correctly, Bubba Bean, one of the best running backs in America played the whole game with a broken hand and was very limited.

A few weeks later, a very flat Aggie team showed up in the liberty bowl and lost to USC.

Last of the Old Army

[This message has been edited by lotoarmy (edited 1/11/2009 8:21p).]
Tex Ag 81
AG
Also, that game ws orinially scheduled for Sept and was moved for TV. Had they stayed with the original schedule and not played after the tu game, the outcome would have been much different.

AggieSocialWorker32
I remember going through my dad's Aggieland for that year. Why'ed the Ags get stuck playing in such a crappy bowl after being so highly ranked?
Hey Nav
AG
Weren't as many bowls back then.

SWC champ always went to the Cotton Bowl. Lots of other conference champs were also locked into a bowl. (Rose bowl, for example, was always Big 10 vs Pac 10).

Very late in the selection process, after the unexpected loss.
Froppe
AG
I was there, as a BQ zip. Arky had us scouted so well, that the only way we scored was in the 4th quarter, with 4th string QB Keith Baker in. He dropped the snap, it bounced back up into his hands, our entire offense ran right, and he mistakenly ran left. The entire Arky defense went the same way our offense went, and Baker ran about 30 yards untouched for our touchdown.

The pigs put about 11 men in the box and dared us to pass. Of course, we wouldn't/couldn't, and that, combined with the wind, kept up backed up deep in our end of the field for most of the game.

Miserable game, miserable bus ride home, miserable end to what had otherwise been a fabulous season. The bowl game was just about as bad, as USC just ran roughshod over a very uninspired Aggie team.
Angry Beaver
AG
THROWBACK UNIFORMS!!!

KJN86
AG
pockets, not correct. Ohio State was #1 and they lost on New Years' Day to UCLA in the Rose Bowl.
George Bluth Sr.
AG
That would be Breaking Benjamin Julius, not Nickelback.
TAMU74
AG
Don't think we've been ranked that high since. Very tough game to watch. However, I was at the tu game the week before at Kyle and it was a very emotional game as we hadn't beaten the sips since 67. It was hard to get up for another game after that one. Should never have move the arky game.
hammer11
The Monday morning after the game in 1975 was the quietest day on campus I ever remember. I was a fish and I remember how scared we were for the upperclassmen to return from the game. We figured it was gonna be crap out city but they were so stunned nothing happened and it took until wednesday until anyone really talked much at all.
Hey Nav
AG
Anyone else get turned back on I 30, trying to get to the game, but too late due to closings for weather?
bac
AG
quote:
Don't think we've been ranked that high since.

We were ranked #2 for at least one week in '92, I believe.
BMEDAggie11
Man, that '85 defense was amazing. I can't even fathom watching a defense half that good
W
AG
sometimes lost in the story of the 75 A&M-Arkansas game...is how great that Arkansas (10-2) team was.

Believe or not...the razorback defense allowed fewer points (123) that year that the A&M defense (124). the Hogs won their last 6 games by scores of: 31-0, 20-16, 35-7, 31-14, 31-6, and 31-10.
dreyOO
quote:
Probably the most painful single Aggie loss of my life.

talk to any Ag that lived through it, and they'll say the same. glad i was born in '77
ToddyHill
AG
I was a freshman that year...and watched the game with some friends over at Aston. To this day that was the worst Aggie football moment of my life.

Later that night, WTAW played this song...and said it was dedicated to the Aggie Football team by the women from Keathley Hall. Pretty good bull.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfdmiVku2Cc
viejo
Gee thanks ToddyHill, the only thing worse than having to remember the game was having to remember the disco era.....
Just Tired
quote:
A&M vs Arky 1975
the day the music died
NE PA Ag
Arkansas went on to represent the SWC in the Cotton Bowl. Arkie, A&M and tu finished in a three way tie, each with one conference loss (sound familiar?). The rule in those days in case of a three way tie was to take the team that it had been longest since a Cotton Bowl appearance. The t-sips had been just two years before, and believe it or not, at that point it had been longer for Arkansas than it had for A&M since the Aggies had been after the '67 season.

The pigs wound up trouncing Georgia in the Cotton Bowl and finishing ranked around #7 or so. Many say that it's obvious we would have whipped UGa as well and finished #1 with tOSU's loss in the Rose Bowl, but the bowls weren't selected the same in those days. If A&M had won, it is much more likely that a much better and higher ranked Michigan team would have come to the Cotton Bowl since the Ags would have been ranked higher than OU (Michigan's opponent in the Orange Bowl). The Fiesta Bowl was not a New Year's Day game at this point and wouldn't have been a factor in the selections.
ssolari94
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.