Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

A&M vs Arky 1975

10,726 Views | 86 Replies | Last: 15 yr ago by BQ78
Sao
How long do you want to ignore this user?

Who was ATM's #6?
Old Ag 74
AG
Trying to remember...wasn't the quarterback (#25) David Walker? Can't remember who #6 was (quaterbacking later in the game). Anyone know?
Sao
Who else was at this game?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtC3_kFAc7A&NR=1

Here.

WPS!

[This message has been edited by Sao (edited 1/12/2009 2:26p).]
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
Bucky Sams, fullback, said that the wind changed at the half against us which was the major factor in the loss
WBBQ74
AG
#6 was a kid from the local BCS area named Keith Baker. He was a freshman that year and had got into several games during mop up duty. Sported some "cornrows" which was quite trendy for the day. Played in '76, same mop up time, but left/quit the team the next spring I think over some character issues as my ancient memory recalls.

Keith was an inspiration to some future Aggie local BCS recruits a decade later, i.e., John Roper, et al. He didn't make it but touched the lives of folks who would.

I wonder what ever happened to the guy. Anyone know?

"Recall.....Step off on Hullabaloo..."
Bullmoose
AG
After lifting weights one day I was playing a pickup game on Kyle Field and David Walker was out there throwing the ball around with a receiver. He was in the endzone and with a running start he threw the ball as he reached the goal line and the ball landed on the 20 yard line on the opposite side of the field, 80 frikin yards in the air. To this day thats the longest I've seen someone throw a football.
Cooglover
I was pulling for the Ag's that year. My second favorite team behind UH (a.k.a. - Cougar High). Was disapointed but I believe A&M returned the favor in '76.

I later played for Bucky Sams in middle school. The head coach played at Tulsa when UH beat them 100-6.

For wearing UH T-shirts, I got to run lots of wind sprints.

Show me a good loser and I'll show you a loser - George Steinbrenner
pockets
AG
KJN - you're right - I guess the years have dimmed the accuracy of my memory - I do remember that had we won that game, we would have had a real shot at #1
MB19
AG
I saw that video a few weeks ago. It gave me nightmares of that day. I just remember watching that game with my Dad, and how shocked I was.
Froppe
AG
A few other things I've thought of:

1) We got royally screwed early in the game (1st qtr.?) when Arky very clearly fumbled, and Ed Simonini recovered. Of course, the refs scratched their arses a bit, and then ruled that the runner was already down. Arkansas ball.

2) We were still in the game toward the end of the first half. We BQs were standing behind the end zone, waiting to do the drill, and I remember seeing Arkansas throw a long pass into the end zone at the far end of the field. We had the receiver double-covered with, I believe, 5'8'' Pat Thomas and 5'11" Jackie Williams. The Arky receiver, best I recall, was 6'4" Robert Duckworth, who went up and snagged the touchdown pass between the two Ags. That was a killer.

3) I think our QBs were Mike Jay, David Shipman, David Walker and Keith Baker. At least one, maybe two of them, were banged up going into the game.

I've tried to forget that night, but it just won't go away!

Froppe '76
KJN86
AG
WBBQ74, Keith Baker was from a Dallas HS, not from the BCS area.

Also, the WR from Arkansas who caught the TD pass right before half was Teddy Barnes, not Duckworth.

I was only 11 at the time, but that loss still hurts. I got to see 2 games that year, Ole Miss & Baylor games, and I was gungho Aggie after that.
Froppe
AG
I stand corrected. I told y'all I've been trying to forget this!
KC Aggie
AG
One of the worst days of my life.

"I saw a werewolf drinking a Pina Colada at Trader Vic's; his hair was perfect."

Bullmoose
AG
Hey KC, do you know Paul Fowler?
aggieangst
Keith Baker finsished his football career at Texas Southern after leaving A&M.

1975 was the closest A&M has gotten to a MNC since 1939. The whole campus was in shock for days after the game.

Emory Bellard is still my all time favorite A&M head football coach. He saved A&M football. Melvin Robertson is still my all time favorite A&M assistant football coach. Robertson authored the book "Winning with the Aggie 4-3".
Mowdy Ag
AG
quote:
I've tried to forget that night, but it just won't go away!

You got that right Froppe - and that was the longest bus ride of my life.

Still remember walking back to the buses after the game and having some Arkie fans in the parking lot ask - in all seriousness - "What 'base' are ya'll from?". They were genuinely surprised when they found out. ...so much for Hoggie fans' knowledge of the SWC.

The Ags returned the brutality in '76 - almost the same score, but flipped. Seems I remember Curtis Dickey running wild in that one. It helped the pain a little but we blew our chance at the MNC in A&M's centennial year.

Bummer.

MA
WBBQ74
AG
Thanks for the correction on where Keith Baker hailed from. I remember reading about him visiting BCS HSs while at A&M.

Froppe.....I drove 100 miles from Fort Hood over to Giddings to watch that game at Gersch's house. And all the way home afterwards. Not quite as bad as the '73 MOB game but pretty close. Funny what you remember.

Bajan
AG
my dad went to A&M at the time, he said the next day at Sbisa everybody was absolutely silent.

[This message has been edited by Bajan (edited 1/13/2009 1:07p).]
ag-bq-seventy
AG
In 1981, I ended up working for the piggie middle guard in that game, for a year or so. Everytime he saw me he would "Soooo PIG!"

He was a jerk.

A class "A" jerk.

The worst loss to any team in my entire life. Fortunately, I didn't have to see it. I was in the Army then, and we had gone over to train the Lousy Anna National Guard at some little dump south of I-10. I got back to Ft. Puke about midnight when I saw the score. I tried to hunt down a couple of basic training privates to make them do pushups, but decided against it.
IBLEEDMAROON
The key player loss was the week before. During the Texas game QB Mike Jay suffered a back injury.
PerfectAg
Worst single=sips '63! I was there as a Fish.

BTHOnm!

If you refer to the forty acres as anything other than tu or 'sips, you are not an AGGIE!
KC Aggie
AG
bullmoose - no.
TXAGBQ76
AG
goo hoo Froppe!!!

That TD catch was right in front of me as we were waiting to line up on the goal line for the halftime drill. We had him well covered- he just made a great play.

Another key factor was that Big George Woodard pulled his hammy in pre-game warm ups and was basically a non-factor- that and eight men in the box!!!

long ride there- longer ride home!!! we should have used the same parting shop to Fayetteville that we did to East Memphis as we left for home after the Liberty Bowl!!!

Robbie and I made the long drive back the next year "wif our dates"- and of course the proverbial half gallon of JW Dant 100 proof. We left B/CS at 3AM on Saturday morning of the game in a driving rain storm.

We watched us drum their behinds 31-6 (if I remember right). Some old Ag invited us to move from the endzone to 50 yardline seats with his crew(which was right some sort of pig club)- we pretty much emptied them out by the end of Q3. We beat up one of the Nutt brothers who was the QB in that game. We spent some time outside the locker room with the team and then headed back to B/CS.We got home about day break on Sunday- running on gas fumes and outta JW Dant- oh for the good old days!!
KJN86
AG
Actually, Scott Bull was the QB that day for Arkansas. He had taken over earlier in the year for an injured Mike Kirkland.
Froppe
AG
Goo Hoo, Rickey Gee!
You just gettin' home, my man? Been out "makin' yo' game?"

I seem to vaguely remember you and The Kid looking a little worse for wear after your little pig hunting trip. You seem to have a special talent for clearing out sections of stadiums/basketball arenas. Remember when that rice bas***d mouthed off to you about us out-ni**ing them at the basketball game? One of your finest moments! SMU coaches moving their huddle onto the court at Jolly Rolly? And, your yell-leading performance at the Baylor game in '76? And, "Darrell, did you really catch that ball? What are you looking at, #73? Your name's not even on the back of your jersey!"
The Tyler Rose finally losing his religion in '75? He still thinks you're Number 1!

I think the final salute to Little Rock, ala Memphis, would have been most appropriate! If we could have stayed long enough, maybe the Holiday Inn spa could have ended up in the swimming pool.

Here's hoping Coach Sherm brings back the good old days, real soon!

Froppe '76

By the way, you still prefer "Ashfalt" to "Concreke"?

Objective Texasguy
quote:
The pigs wound up trouncing Georgia in the Cotton Bowl and finishing ranked around #7 or so. Many say that it's obvious we would have whipped UGa as well and finished #1 with tOSU's loss in the Rose Bowl, but the bowls weren't selected the same in those days. If A&M had won, it is much more likely that a much better and higher ranked Michigan team would have come to the Cotton Bowl since the Ags would have been ranked higher than OU (Michigan's opponent in the Orange Bowl). The Fiesta Bowl was not a New Year's Day game at this point and wouldn't have been a factor in the selections.

Why do so many Aggies always refer to this team as one that was a bee's diKK away from a MNC?

I know you were ranked #2 late in the season, but didn't this game and the final game go down as big losses?

I thought Arkansas whipped you by 4 TDs?

If you lose big like that and then get smoked in the bowl game, you were not a whisker from MNC.

Great team, but wouldn't 94 team that was tied by SMU at the end of the game be the only real close call?

I think if you beat SMU, you had a decent chance at MNC as an unbeaten, un-tied team.
BQ78
AG
Becasue win that Arkansas game and we get a relatively easy GA team in the CB to go undefeated. The melt down in the Liberty Bowl was a direct result of Ark as much as KSU's melt down in the Alamo Bowl of 98 was a hangover from the Big 12 Championship.

I remember how overconfident the Aggies seemed before that '75 game as they kicked a small razorback ballon among them as they did their warm up stretches, of course who could blame them the pigs had been dominated by the sips who we had just beat and our defense just seemed unstoppable.
Objective Texasguy
I understand BQ, but neither game was really close. Does not mean 1975 team stunk, but you got rolled by Arkansas by 25 points (looked it up).

The 1969 Arkansas team was close to MNC. Lost with late TD to Texas who won MNC with win.

Miami in 2002 was close.

Nebraska in 1983 was close.

Losing in last regular season game by 25 is not close.
Happy Kuykendahl
quote:
Losing in last regular season game by 25 is not close

Quite an ironic statement, coming from a fan of a team who claims a MNC in a year in which they lost their bowl game.
WBBQ74
AG
The '75 Arkansas game was changed to after the t.u. game for TV by ABC. In hindsight a woefully bad decision for us. Another gem was that the Arkansas coach, Frank Broyles, was the ABC color commentator for the A&M - t.u. game telecast the week previous. Gave him an excellent chance to "scout" A&M for his game the following week. I don't think the powers that be would allow that kind of ethical shenanigan to happen in today's world.

General consensus back in the time this happened was the following:

1. We play Arkansas during the year as normal, we win easy.
2. Beating t.u. for the first time since '67 was too big a high to overcome in a couple of days to get a team ready to play "just" Arkansas.
3. Not having your QB and your All World FB (George Woodard, when he was a beast) for the Arkansas game was too much of a hurdle to overcome.
4. No one wanted to be in the Liberty Bowl.
5. Losing to Arkansas in '75 was just as bad as losing to Notre Dame in '92; highwater marks for A&M football.

You have to be alive then to appreciate it.

Objective Texasguy
We claim the AP championship which we were awarded in 1970.

quote:
1. We play Arkansas during the year as normal, we win easy.

How can you say that? Oh yeah, if the TTU game was played prior to OU this year, we win easily. Holy random assumptions Batman.
quote:

2. Beating t.u. for the first time since '67 was too big a high to overcome in a couple of days to get a team ready to play "just" Arkansas.

Arkansas was a big deal in the 60's and 70's. IF that is the case (you could nbot get up for that game), you were not close to being MNC worthy.
quote:

3. Not having your QB and your All World FB (George Woodard, when he was a beast) for the Arkansas game was too much of a hurdle to overcome.

You are right as was proven on field.
quote:

4. No one wanted to be in the Liberty Bowl.

Again, not worthy of #2 ranking then.
quote:

5. Losing to Arkansas in '75 was just as bad as losing to Notre Dame in '92; highwater marks for A&M football.

I agree based on feedback here.

All I am saying is you guys make that team out to be a whisker away from MNC. They were not too close at all.

Still, from all accounts they were a great team. Love the uniforms. Defense sounded scary.

WBBQ74
AG
The reason I think we beat Arkansas if we had played them after the Baylor game like we would have had the schedule not be messed with for TV is based on being a season ticket holder and attendee to our home games that year. The '75 team was a defensive monster and smothered folks. The middle part of that year was a big rickroll, look up scores. Not huge numbers but crunching, defensive beatdowns to those who watched it in person.

1975: 10-2-0
Coach: Emory Bellard

Southwest Conference Co-Champions

W/L Date PF Opponent PA Location

W 09-13-1975 7 Mississippi 0 College Station
W 09-20-1975 39 LSU 8 Baton Rouge
W 09-27-1975 43 Illinois 13 College Station
W 10-04-1975 10 Kansas St. 0 Manhattan, KS
W 10-11-1975 38 Texas Tech 9 Lubbock
W 10-18-1975 14 TCU 6 Fort Worth
W 10-25-1975 19 Baylor 10 College Station
W 11-08-1975 36 SMU 3 College Station
W 11-15-1975 33 Rice 14 Houston
W 11-28-1975 20 Texas 10 College Station
L 12-06-1975 6 Arkansas 31 Little Rock, AR
L 12-22-1975 0 USC 20 Memphis, Liberty Bowl
265 124

The Arkansas game would have been on 1Nov75 right during the best run of the season for this team. The TCU game was a squeaker at the end but the Baylor game was played in a downpour and not near as close as the score indicates. The SMU game was a wipeout. Anyone who was following A&M football then would have thought playing the Pigs in Nov would have been a solid win for the good guys. You had to be there then to understand. 73 points allowed in the first 10 games translates to a little over a touchdown allowed per game versus 259 points scored, i.e., an average win of 26 to 7. This in a day when rushing was king, not the pass happy stuff we are living with today. I don't have access to TOP stats but with the great defense and ball control rushing game of this Wishbone - back in the prime of such types of offense - I am sure it was quite one-sided. A win is a win.

The 1975 A&M Defens WAS the Wrecking Crew before the term was created a decade later.

[This message has been edited by WBBQ74 (edited 1/15/2009 7:59a).]
aggievaulter07
AG
off subject...

Bullmoose, do you only drink beer with your left hand?
Bullmoose
AG
I'm too mean to drink alcoholic beverages but to answer your question I use my right hand to drink.
Just Tired
quote:
that was a bee's diKK away
while i'm sure that is a unit of measure you sips and your significant others are quite familiar with, its not one we use here in aggieland.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.