The Biggest Bas!ards In History That Got Off Scot Free

3,057 Views | 36 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Windy City Ag
Windy City Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have been reading about the Japanese Unit 731 recently, and discovered that the United States provided immunity to its head General Shiro Ishii despite him running one of the most inhuman and barbaric torture factories in modern history. Over 10,000 prisoners were estimated to have died in his camp due to experiments ranging from vivisection and testing of biological and chemical weapons on living subjects. He also developed and successfully deployed bio weapons mostly against Chinese subjects that are estimated to have killed up to 300,000 people.

He was planning biological attacks on the U.S. when the bombs finally went off and the war ended. Our military gave him a pardon, let him lecture at Ft. Detrick, and he eventually moved him back home to Japan where he worked as a doctor until his death.

It made me wonder who is the biggest POS in history that was caught and but allowed to walk away. This guy has to be up there at the top. Idi Amin comes to mind, with Uganda allowing him to slip away and live out his life in Saudi Arabia.
BQ78
AG
Josef Mengele
Martin Bormann?
Jack the Ripper
The Zodiac Killer
Ted Kennedy
Phillip Sheridan
Captain Reuben Hatch (friend of Lincoln's too, who got his cush job due to patronage)
Captain James Cass Mason
OJ Simpson (at least for murder)

Unfortunately none of mine were "caught."
CanyonAg77
AG
Forest Gump's girlfriend Jenny.
Rabid Cougar
AG
Wernher Von Braun - He was a good Nazi.... Because he was ours...
ABATTBQ87
AG
SS Lt. Col. Joachim Peiper
Windy City Ag
AG
Quote:

Yikes. Hard to believe there was a "Mutual aid association of former Waffen-SS members" at all much less a backdrop where political parties actively listened to their lobbying.

et98
AG
ABATTBQ87 said:

I thought a group of vigilantes finally caught up to him and killed him many years later? But I'm not sure if that counts or not anyway.
et98
AG
Rabid Cougar said:

Wernher Von Braun - He was a good Nazi.... Because he was ours...
I imagine we could add a few hundred names to this thread if we started reading through the Operation Paperclip list.
Windy City Ag
AG
Some mentioned this guy to me in response. I had never hear of him

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2010/dec/03/jean-bedel-bokassa-posthumous-pardon

Quote:

One of Africa's most brutal dictators, accused of cannibalism and feeding his opponents to animals, has received a posthumous pardon from his country. Jean-Bdel Bokassa was the self-crowned emperor of the Central African Republic (CAR) until he was ousted in 1979. He fathered 62 children and his coronation, based on that of Napoleon, cost his country's entire GDP.

Backed by France, Bokassa came to power in a coup in 1965 and ruled with an iron fist, torturing and killing political rivals and cutting off the ears of thieves. Accusations of cannibalism were widespread but unproven, triggered by photographs in Paris-Match magazine that apparently showed a fridge containing the bodies of schoolchildren. It was also claimed his political rivals were cooked and served to visiting foreign dignitaries or fed to lions and crocodiles in his personal zoo.

He was overthrown three years later after his guards killed scores of schoolchildren who were demonstrating in the capital, Bangui.

He was sentenced to death for assassinations, concealing corpses and embezzlement, later commuted to a prison sentence. He was released in 1993 by President Andr Kolingba.

The weird thing was that he was deposed in 1979 after doing all of the above, and France let him move back there under political asylum and gave him a pension for his service during WW2 in the French army. He was eventually sent back home where he was convicted and sentenced to death but then had his sentence knocked down to nothing and released pretty quickly.

The CAR leadership in 2010 gave him a posthumous pardon and began a media blitz celebrating the guy.
Ghost of Andrew Eaton
Dan Sickles
aalan94
AG
Gen. Benjamin Butler.
CanyonAg77
AG
The record for "should have been executed but ended up back in power" might go to Santa Anna.
CanyonAg77
AG
Quote:

It made me wonder who is the biggest POS in history that was caught and but allowed to walk away.

Lenin: Died in his mansion, a hero of Communism. 8,000,000 killed

Stalin: Died in his country estate. Killed 6,000,000 directly, another 3,000,000 died because of his policies

Mao, died in power, revered as a hero. 60,000,000 to 80,000,000 dead

USAFAg
AG
et98 said:

ABATTBQ87 said:

I thought a group of vigilantes finally caught up to him and killed him many years later? But I'm not sure if that counts or not anyway.
Yep, local Commies at his home in France.

Martin Bormann committed suicide while trying to escape the Soviets in Berlin 1945. So that may not count, either

12thFan/Websider Since 2003
Ghost of Andrew Eaton
Hitler and his cronies that killed themselves got off easy as well.
Windy City Ag
AG
There was a dump of declassifed CIA files at the turn of the century that confirmed many of the Nazis the CIA sheltered to counteract the Soviet Union. They were,per the title, total *******s that got off scot free due to the deal Reinhard Gehlen cut.

https://ips-dc.org/the_cias_worst-kept_secret_newly_declassified_files_confirm_united_states_collaboration_with_nazis/

Quote:

The Gehlen Org

The key figure on the German side of the CIA-Nazi tryst was General Reinhard Gehlen, who had served as Adolf Hitler's top anti-Soviet spy. During World War II, Gehlen oversaw all German military-intelligence operations in Eastern Europe and the USSR.

As the war drew to a close, Gehlen surmised that the U.S.-Soviet alliance would soon break down. Realizing that the United States did not have a viable cloak-and-dagger apparatus in Eastern Europe, Gehlen surrendered to the Americans and pitched himself as someone who could make a vital contribution to the forthcoming struggle against the Communists. In addition to sharing his vast espionage archive on the USSR, Gehlen promised that he could resurrect an underground network of battle-hardened, anti-Communist assets who were well placed to wreak havoc throughout the Soviet Union and Eastern Europe.

Based near Munich, Gehlen proceeded to enlist thousands of Gestapo, Wehrmacht, and SS veterans. Even the vilest of the vilethe senior bureaucrats who ran the central administrative apparatus of the Holocaustwere welcome in the "Gehlen Org," as it was calledincluding Alois Brunner, Adolf Eichmann's chief deputy. SS major Emil Augsburg and gestapo captain Klaus Barbie, otherwise known as the "Butcher of Lyon," were among those who did double duty for Gehlen and U.S. intelligence. "It seems that in the Gehlen headquarters, one SS man paved the way for the next and Himmler's elite were having happy reunion ceremonies," the Frankfurter Rundschau reported in the early 1950s.
P.H. Dexippus
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

Forest Gump's girlfriend Jenny.
She did die of the AIDS though
Smeghead4761
Windy City Ag said:

I have been reading about the Japanese Unit 731 recently, and discovered that the United States provided immunity to its head General Shiro Ishii despite him running one of the most inhuman and barbaric torture factories in modern history. Over 10,000 prisoners were estimated to have died in his camp due to experiments ranging from vivisection and testing of biological and chemical weapons on living subjects. He also developed and successfully deployed bio weapons mostly against Chinese subjects that are estimated to have killed up to 300,000 people.

He was planning biological attacks on the U.S. when the bombs finally went off and the war ended. Our military gave him a pardon, let him lecture at Ft. Detrick, and he eventually moved him back home to Japan where he worked as a doctor until his death.

It made me wonder who is the biggest POS in history that was caught and but allowed to walk away. This guy has to be up there at the top. Idi Amin comes to mind, with Uganda allowing him to slip away and live out his life in Saudi Arabia.
I read that Unit 731 had sent a shipment of containers of plague infested fleas to Saipan to be released when the U.S. invaded.

Luckily, that ship was sunk before it reached its destination.

It is also worth noting that the Japanese were the only nation to use chemical weapons on the battlefield during WWII, all against the Chinese. I don't believe anyone was every held accountable for that after the war.
CanyonAg77
AG
Ghost of Andrew Eaton said:

Hitler and his cronies that killed themselves got off easy as well.

Yeah, Mussolini was one of the few who got the kind of treatment he deserved
doubledog
BQ78 said:

Josef Mengele
Martin Bormann?
Jack the Ripper
The Zodiac Killer
Ted Kennedy
Phillip Sheridan
Captain Reuben Hatch (friend of Lincoln's too, who got his cush job due to patronage)
Captain James Cass Mason
OJ Simpson (at least for murder)

Unfortunately none of mine were "caught."
Bedford Forrest founding member of the KKK
CanyonAg77
AG
Forrest, who disavowed the KKK later in life? I also seem to recall he became a friend to the black community
Aggie_Journalist
AG
Genghis Khan
Thanks and gig'em
doubledog
CanyonAg77 said:

Forrest, who disavowed the KKK later in life? I also seem to recall he became a friend to the black community
Not blacks at Fort Pillow... But that was any earlier Forrest as well, but both the KKK and Fort Pillow happened and he did not pay for either one. Was that not the point of this thread?

https://www.gilderlehrman.org/history-resources/spotlight-primary-source/fort-pillow-massacre-1864

CanyonAg77
AG
Fort Pillow is not as simplistic as you think
Corporal Punishment
AG
Vasili Blokhin - "recorded as having executed tens of thousands of prisoners by his own hand, including his killing of about 7,000 Polish prisoners of war during the Katyn massacre"

Idi Amin - "International observers and human rights groups estimate that between 100,000[11] and 500,000 people were killed under his regime."

Pol Pot - Khmer Rouge - "Both the BBC News and Time magazine blamed his government for "one of the worst mass killings of the 20th century". "the most widely accepted estimates of excess deaths under the Khmer Rouge range from 1.5 million to 2 million, although figures as low as 1 million and as high as 3 million have been cited"
Sapper Redux
CanyonAg77 said:

It's amazing how quickly excuses are made for a man who had multiple occasions where USCT died at extremely high rates, was a slave trader before the war, and was happy to be associated with the most notoriously violent racist organization after the war until it became politically inconvenient.
YokelRidesAgain
AG
Erich Honecker (East Germany)
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
LMCane
I think the Soviets confirmed Bormann died in trying to escape Berlin

Yasser Arafat
Ayotallah Khomeini
StinkyPinky
AG
Captain Frank Burns
BQ78
AG
Every murderer of a Civil War general during the war got away with it:

Dr. George Peters (Van Dorn)
Gen. Jefferson C. Davis (Nelson)
Col. George W. Baylor (Wharton)
YokelRidesAgain
AG
StinkyPinky said:

Captain Frank Burns
Wasn't he a major?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
StinkyPinky
AG
YokelRidesAgain said:

StinkyPinky said:

Captain Frank Burns
Wasn't he a major?
Yes he was. Him and Hot Lips. Memories going to the shtter
YokelRidesAgain
AG
StinkyPinky said:

YokelRidesAgain said:

StinkyPinky said:

Captain Frank Burns
Wasn't he a major?
Yes he was. Him and Hot Lips. Memories going to the shtter
It's all right, I thought you might have been possessed of some inside knowledge.

It's quite believable that he might have been demoted after that Section 8 incident in Seoul.

Can you get demoted for being a nutter?
YokelRidesAgain
AG
Angel Hernandez
BrazosBendHorn
YokelRidesAgain said:

StinkyPinky said:

Captain Frank Burns
Wasn't he a major?

In the original source novel by Richard Hooker, there were two characters, Captain Burns and Major Hobson. They got amalgamated into one character, Major Burns, for the movie and the TV show. Hobson was an insufferable religious zealot, while Burns was a borderline incompetent doctor, who was also into Nurse Houlihan.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.