Give me a mind-blowing history fact

141,121 Views | 1007 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by nortex97
spud1910
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Yeah, they lost incredible numbers. During the siege of Leningrad an estimated 800,000 civiliansnearly as many as all the World War II deaths of the United States and the United Kingdom combined, died of starvation. Their daily ration was 125 g of bread daily. About 2 1/2 slices of the sandwich bread I have on my counter. My wife's father survived the seige as a young teenager. His mother died on the train as they were leaving the city after it ended.
agrams
AG
7 out of 8 German soldiers who died in WWII died on the Russian front. America may have been the war engine with our economy, but Russia was the human grease in those gears
Rongagin71
AG
Aggie1205 said:

If you add up military deaths of all of the Allied countries (even though some of the deaths from countries like Poland could have been killed in the service of Germany or Russia), the number comes to a bit over 2 million. To put things in perspective, there were 3.3 million Russian POW's who died in German POW camps alone. Since they were considered traitors for having been captured, no one even knows many of the names and families weren't notified.
"considered traitor for having been captured"...
nortex97
AG
Wilford Brimley once worked as a body guard for Howard Hughes:

Quote:

It's easy to see Wilford Brimley primarily as an actor, but as William Grimes of the New York Times notes, his professional life involved a great many other, often even more exciting jobs. Brimley started his professional career early, dropping out of school when he was 14 and starting a new life as a cowboy. Yes, an actual cowboy. After doing that in three different states, he decided to tick yet another box in his awesomeness check list, and enlisted in the Marine Corps. After that, it was back to Old West life for young Wilford. who spent some time as a wrangler, a ranch hand, and even a blacksmith. At one point, he ventured outside his cowboy comfort zone by working as a bodyguard. For Howard Hughes. Yeah, it's that kind of a resume.
New Mexico State University's first graduating class had one member, who was shot and killed before graduation.

Quote:

• NMSU's first graduating class, the class of 1893, had just one member Samuel Steel. Unfortunately, Steel was shot and killed shortly before graduation in what was then still very much the Wild West.
  • The following year we had five graduates. All received bachelor's of science degrees. One of them was the university's first female graduate, Agnes Williams. Another person in that class was Fabian Garcia.

Sam Steel got his degree awarded 105 years later:

Rongagin71
AG
"and there is some talk of lynching him"...
which would be click bait if posted today,
but they meant it.
JABQ04
AG
Rongagin71 said:

Aggie1205 said:

If you add up military deaths of all of the Allied countries (even though some of the deaths from countries like Poland could have been killed in the service of Germany or Russia), the number comes to a bit over 2 million. To put things in perspective, there were 3.3 million Russian POW's who died in German POW camps alone. Since they were considered traitors for having been captured, no one even knows many of the names and families weren't notified.
"considered traitor for having been captured"...

Or, like some Soviet POWs, liberated by their "comrades", handed a rifle/PPsH and straight back to fight….and then arrested for having the nerve to be a POW after the Germans surrender. One of Stalins sons was a POW of the Nazis.
agrams
AG
the Norden bombsight project costs over 1.5 billion, with over 90,000 being ordered. this was 2/3 the cost of the Manhattan project.

not until 1944 did Germany kill more British soldiers than it had british citizens.

more airmen from the 8th army air forces died over Europe than marine died in ww2
swimmerbabe11
That guy really liked fighting huh.
swimmerbabe11
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

In 1942, James Doolittle leads the Raiders to bombing locations across Japan by launching B-25 Mitchell medium bombers from the deck of the USS Hornet.

There is no part of me that doesn't read his name and IMMEDIATELY ask which animals he colluded with while fighting.
BQ78
AG
The most successful one day air raid by the USN in number of ships sunk occurred on January 12, 1945. "Bull" Halsey launched 500 Avenger fighter bombers and caught The Japanese in port, sinking 14 warships and 33 merchant ships. The target was Saigon harbor.

The primary carrier was USS Essex. The next time it returned to Vietnamese waters was in 1954 carrying a nuclear weapon that Dwight Eisenhower contemplated using to aid the French at Dien Bien Phu.
JR_83
"500 Avenger fighter-bombers" from the Essex? I think each Essex typically only carried 18 TBMs.
BQ78
AG
It wasn't the only carrier that day but there is one photograph of it that day with 20 Avengers on the flight deck and no doubt others in the hanger deck.

Here's another interesting fact:

A claim could be made that Jesse Grant knew the persons that started the Civil War and ended it. Jesse learned the tanner trade from Owen Brown the father of John Brown. Jesse lived with the Browns while learning the trade from Owen so he knew John as a child. Of course Jesse's son, christened Hiram Ulysses Grant is better known by the name he was forced to accept at West Point, Ulysses Simpson Grant.

p_bubel

Jacques Cousteau's Calypso was originally a Seattle built, British leashed, WW2 wooden minesweeper.

It was also, briefly, a ferry in Malta. It's currently rotting in Turkey.

Man, I loved this show growing up.
nortex97
AG
A soldiers dying wish engraved in civil war marker:

Incredibly, this gravestone (in Kansas) is by a Grigsy whose brother was married to Lincoln's sister and had gone to school with him.

Quote:

Went to school with Lincoln's. Brother to Aaron Grigsby who married Abe Lincoln's oldest sister. Visited in White House.

Through this inscription I wish to enter my dying protest against what is called the Democratic party I have watched it closely since the days of Jackson and know that all the misfortunes of our nation has come to it through this so called party therefore beware of this party of treason.

Put on in fulfillment of promise to Deceased.
Slicer97
AG
You should post that on F16.
BQ78
AG
General William Westmorland met his wife at his first post out of West Point at Ft. Sill in 1936. She was the daughter of a fellow officer. She was 9 years old at the time. They married 11 years later.
87Flyfisher
AG
My wife is 14 years younger than me and I've told her I'm really glad I didn't know her when she was a 1st Grader and I was a Junior at A&M.
nortex97
AG
A German tale of rent control:

Rent in the German village of Fuggerei has not risen since the year 1520. At $1 a year, it's quite a real estate bargain. The waiting list to move in is four years long, with a very strict code of conduct. For one, you must be at least 60 years old, Catholic, have zero debt, pray 3 times a day for the Fugger family, take up a community volunteer job, and abide by a 10pm curfew.
Jabin
That's in Augsburg, isn't it? My dad was stationed in Augsburg when I was a kid and we visited the Fuggerei.

The Fugger family themselves are amazing. They founded and financed the Fuggerei. Little is known today of the Fuggers, but from wikipedia:

Alongside the Welser family, the Fugger family controlled much of the European economy in the sixteenth century and accumulated enormous wealth. The Fuggers held a near monopoly on the European copper market.
This banking family replaced the Medici family who influenced all of Europe during the Renaissance. The Fuggers took over many of the Medicis' assets and their political power and influence. They were closely affiliated with the House of Habsburg whose rise to world power they financed.

Jakob Fugger "the Rich" was elevated to the nobility of the Holy Roman Empire in May 1511 and assumed the title Imperial Count of Kirchberg and Weissenhorn in 1514. Today, he is considered to be one of the wealthiest people ever to have lived, with a GDP-adjusted net worth of over $400 billion, and approximately 2% of the entire GDP of Europe at the time.
nortex97
AG
Yep! Good reference/added background.
Aggie1205
AG
In July 1969, Honduras and El Salvador fought briefly in what was called the Football War due to a couple of soccer matches playing a role in sparking it. The real cause was more complex but calling it the Football war is quite catching. During the fight, a dogfight took place involving (4) F4U Corsairs and (2) P51 Mustangs. This was the last time two piston-engine aircraft fought each other.

M3A1 Stuarts were also used in the conflict.
Rongagin71
AG
Visually striking...Sioux dancing from way back
BQ78
AG
Earlier in this thread I described the mind blowing story of his horse, but Myles Keogh himself was a little mind-blowing. Before the Civil War he joined the Papal Army as a lieutenant. He was captured and imprisoned briefly before being exchanged during the War of Italian Unification.

After his release he was appointed to the Papal Guard or Swiss Guard. When the Civil War broke out he resigned from the Swiss Guard and enlisted in the Federal Army. At Gettysburg he served in Buford's Division alongside a fellow Swiss Guard, Lt. Joseph O'keefe.

Keogh would be the only former Papal Guard to die at the Little Big Horn but his horse Comanche was the sole survivor of the fight in the Greasy Grass fought mainly on Last Stand and Calhoun Hills
insulator_king
AG
New Mexico has more plague cases than the rest of the US combined.

In the 50-year period 1970-2020, New Mexico had more than half of plague cases in the U.S.253 out of a total of 496followed by Colorado with 66 cases, Arizona with 65 cases and California with 45 cases, according to figures compiled by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). There were 19 cases in Oregon in the time period and 15 in Utah

https://www.newsweek.com/plague-map-us-cases-since-1970-new-mexico-1878428

And NM also has the highest rate of Hantavirus cases in the US since tracking began in 1993.
https://www.cdc.gov/hantavirus/data-research/cases/index.html
A technical article, but still gripping. https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/24/11/18-0381_article
Junction71
AG
In WW2, the bloody South Pacific battle of Peleliu didn't need to be fought. The island was intended to protect the main thrust to Japan which was thought to be MacArthur through the Philippines and thus protect his right flank. The war in the Pacific went by island hopping through the Central Pacific instead. I have read this in several history books of that era.
Rongagin71
AG
The word "robot" has only been used in English for a little over one hundred years. It comes from the Czech word "robotica" that meant "drudge-labor" and was made famous in a 1921 play named "RUR" that was perhaps the first popular story to have robots taking over the world (mechanized beings were in ancient stories).
insulator_king
AG
Ah yes, Rossum's Universal Robots.
BQ78
AG
The third Mig shootdown by the US in the Vietnam War occurred when two Mig-17s attacked a flight of four A-1 Skyraiders on a rescue combat air patrol 40 miles SE of Hanoi on June 17, 1965.

Unable to out perform the Migs, the A-1s flew down to the deck, broke into pairs and began to fly in tight defensive Luftbery Circles (maintaining a continuous turning orbit so each plane covered their wingman's 6). After a five minute battle with the Migs trying to get on one of the tails of the A-1s, one pair of A-1s got on the tail of the Mig as it lined up on the other pair for a kill. Unleashing a fusillade of 50 caliber into the Mig's tail, it spiraled down into the hills of North Vietnam. Lt. Clint Johnson and Lt. (JG) Charles Hartmann shared the kill of the jet aircraft by using World War I tactics in World War II vintage aircraft.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
BQ78 said:

The third Mig shootdown by the US in the Vietnam War occurred when two Mig-17s attacked a flight of four A-1 Skyraiders on a rescue combat air patrol 40 miles SE of Hanoi on June 17, 1965.

Unable to out perform the Migs, the A-1s flew down to the deck, broke into pairs and began to fly in tight defensive Luftbery Circles (maintaining a continuous turning orbit so each plane covered their wingman's 6). After a five minute battle with the Migs trying to get on one of the tails of the A-1s, one pair of A-1s got on the tail of the Mig as it lined up on the other pair for a kill. Unleashing a fusillade of 50 caliber into the Mig's tail, it spiraled down into the hills of North Vietnam. Lt. Clint Johnson and Lt. (JG) Charles Hartmann shared the kill of the jet aircraft by using World War I tactics in World War II vintage aircraft.
That's awesome.

And I love the use of the word 'fusillade'.
BQ78
AG
While we are in the air over North Vietnam on July 24, 1965 Capt. Dick Keirn, flying an F-4, 55 miles NW of Hanoi, was the first American to be shot down by an SA-2 in Vietnam. Twenty one years earlier, a 19 year old Keirn had been shot down in his B-17. In the German POW camp, his nickname to his fellow inmates was "Junior." During his seven years of captivity in North Vietnam the 40-year old Keirn was known to his fellow inmates as "Pop."
Nagler
AG
BQ78 said:

While we are in the air over North Vietnam on July 24, 1965 Capt. Dick Keirn, flying an F-4, 55 miles NW of Hanoi, was the first American to be shot down by an SA-2 in Vietnam. Twenty one years earlier, a 19 year old Keirn had been shot down in his B-17. In the German POW camp, his nickname to his fellow inmates was "Junior." During his seven years of captivity in North Vietnam the 40-year old Keirn was known to his fellow inmates as "Pop."

That's a lot of time locked up.
Hey Nav
AG
Col Richard P. Keirn

http://veterantributes.org/TributeDetail.php?recordID=92

Btw, Keirn's GIB, Captain Roscoe H. Fobair, didn't make it out of their F-4. A small part of his remains were found, and he received a memorial service with full military honors in 2001.

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-2001-apr-01-me-45522-story.html
agracer
AG
BQ78 said:

It wasn't the only carrier that day but there is one photograph of it that day with 20 Avengers on the flight deck and no doubt others in the hanger deck.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_China_Sea_raid

They sent several hundred Avengers, Hell Divers, Dauntless Dive Bombers (possibly - mostly phased out by this point of the war by the Navy) and Hellcats from multiple carriers.

The Essex caried 18 Avengers as a standard Air Group.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Essex-class_aircraft_carrier#Air_group

Quote:

Air group
The original aircraft complement, nicknamed the "Sunday Punch",[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Essex-class_aircraft_carrier#cite_note-13][13][/url] was the pride of the carrier and consisted of the offensive power of 36 fighters, 36 dive bombers, and 18 torpedo bombers. The Grumman F6F Hellcat would be the standard fighter, the Douglas SBD Dauntless, the standard scout aircraft and dive bomber which was later replaced by the Curtiss SB2C Helldiver, and the Grumman TBF Avenger as the torpedo bomber, but also often used in other attack roles. Later in the war some Essexes, such as Bunker Hill, also included Vought F4U Corsairs in fighter-bomber squadrons (VBFs), the precursor to modern fighter-attack squadrons (VFAs).[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Essex-class_aircraft_carrier#cite_note-14][14][/url] In the last year of the Pacific War, all of the carrier-based combat aircraft could mount several 5-inch High Velocity Aircraft Rockets (HVARs), which greatly improved their effectiveness against ground targets.
BQ78
AG

CanyonAg77
AG
nortex97 said:

A soldiers dying wish engraved in civil war marker:

Spotted this while on a bike ride. Guy died in about 1974

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.