"Accidental" Wars…

2,576 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Stive
Stive
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm watching HBO's new series, House of the Dragon, during the season finale, an incident occurs that was a bit "accidental" but ends up causing a civil war to erupt.

It just got me wondering down a mental rabbit hole of random and/or accidental incidents that caused wars. Does anyone know any off the top of their head?

I considered the assassination of Archduke Ferdinand for a moment. I'm pretty sure the assassins didn't think it would throw the entire continent into war and it was done completely on purpose, thus it kind of fits but not really.

The Boston Massacre crossed my mind but while it was a bit accidental as far as we know, I'm not sure we can say it lead directly to war. There were a number of other issues and events that happened between that and Lexington/Concord.

Thought?
Sapper Redux
I don't know that you'll ever have a war that's purely an accident. What you can find are wars where the start is contingent on a random act but the existence of conflict that will likely result in a war is not. I can think of several Indian wars in colonial America where the causus belli is a homicide or a dispute over property / livestock, but the existence of a state of near-war is years old.
Stive
AG
Sapper Redux said:

I don't know that you'll ever have a war that's purely an accident. What you can find are wars where the start is contingent on a random act but the existence of conflict that will likely result in a war is not. I can think of several Indian wars in colonial America where the causus belli is a homicide or a dispute over property / livestock, but the existence of a state of near-war is years old.

And that's the basis of the situation in the show. Years of tension, posturing, pride, misunderstandings, etc all come to a head with an "accident". That's kind of what I was curious about: the accidents that triggered a bomb that was already on a short fuse.

Ghost of Andrew Eaton
I think by accidental, you mean wars that are started because of what appears to be one singular event but actually, it's just the spark.

In my opinion, you could say that the French and Indian War/Seven Years War falls under that category. Washington's party killing of the French official escalated everything but really both nations were headed in that direction already. I'm not saying it was inevitable but the conditions were ripe for something small to cause the war.
If you say you hate the state of politics in this nation and you don't get involved in it, you obviously don't hate the state of politics in this nation.
BQ_90
AG
Spanish-American War, newspapers used the Maine to stir up circulation and push the narrative that it was blown up. When it the true was it probable exploded due to fire in the coal bunker.
Stive
AG
Ghost of Andrew Eaton said:

I think by accidental, you mean wars that are started because of what appears to be one singular event but actually, it's just the spark.

In my opinion, you could say that the French and Indian War/Seven Years War falls under that category. Washington's party killing of the French official escalated everything but really both nations were headed in that direction already. I'm not saying it was inevitable but the conditions were ripe for something small to cause the war.

Much better worded than what I was trying to say! My brain is on slo-mo.
Sapper Redux
That would fit. King Philip's War would as well.
Rabid Cougar
AG
The American Civil War was a "cold war" for several months. Texas left in February 2 and took over most Federal locations without firing a shot. Fort Sumter was on April 13.

Not to side rail the thread but it would have been interesting to see what would have happened if not for the firebrands in Charleston. Something else was bound to have set it off, accidently or otherwise.
Ghost of Andrew Eaton
Rabid Cougar said:

The American Civil War was a "cold war" for several months. Texas left in February 2 and took over most Federal locations without firing a shot. Fort Sumter was on April 13.

Not to side rail the thread but it would have been interesting to see what would have happened if not for the firebrands in Charleston. Something else was bound to have set it off, accidently or otherwise.
Like Polk, Lincoln played the "I'm not touching you, I'm not touching you..." game that many of us played with our sibilings with a preditable outcome.
If you say you hate the state of politics in this nation and you don't get involved in it, you obviously don't hate the state of politics in this nation.
Belton Ag
AG
War of Jenkins Ear

Pig War

Pastry War

These are the ones that come to mind when I think of ridiculous reasons to start a war. The other two weren't really wars, but the War of Jenkins Ear cost many thousands of lives and nothing was gained on either side.
jkag89
Luckily did not result in a war but a close call on a nuclear exchange was almost caused when the Russians mistook a research rocket launch as a US attack.

A good article on the incident.
malenurse
AG
Ghost of Andrew Eaton said:

Most people aren't aware how close we came to that "spark" during the Cuban Missile Crisis
aalan94
AG
Quote:

Spanish-American War, newspapers used the Maine to stir up circulation and push the narrative that it was blown up. When it the true was it probable exploded due to fire in the coal bunker.
Most examples you can come up were cases with existing tensions that were just waiting for the final nail in the coffin. America and Spain had been enemies for 100 years. One of the key points I make in my book is that America inherited the Anglo-Saxon hatred of Spain, and the American people - far more than the government - were always looking for ways to stick it to Spain.

The way I put it was something like this: Francis Drake started filibusters against Spanish territory in the 1500s, they continued in America in the following cases:

1804-5: Kemper Revolt in West Florida
1806: Miranda Expedition against Venezuela; Burr Expedition against Mexico
1810: West Florida Revolt
1812: Filibuster in East Florida; Gutierrez-Magee Expedition into Texas (my book)
1815: Mina/Aury Expedition against Northern Mexico
1817: MacGregor filibuster against Amelia Island (Florida)
1818: Andrew Jackson seizes Pensacola (the only one so far authorized or approved by the US government)
1819: Long Expedition in Texas

Filibusters basically ended after Mexican independence, because the excuse (countering Spanish tyranny) was removed. The one filibuster against Mexico (The Fredonian Revolt) was put down in great part by Anglo-Americans under Stephen F. Austin marching against them.

The Texas Revolution brought this tradition back, because there was a filibuster inside the broader war, as Americans joined Texians in fighting against Mexico. From 1835-60, Mexico ceased to be considered a friendly sister republic and then took over the reputation as the imbruted "priest-ridden" country of Ango-American fears. So it was now fair game, as was, ultimately the entire hemisphere. This was a generational shift. The Aaron Burrs of the world saw the south as allies and partners, while Americans (particularly after the Missouri Compromise in 1820, replaced the struggle for Latin American liberty with a struggle for new lands for cotton (and with it, slavery). There is almost no trace of this ideology before 1820. But not all of these are exclusively for this reason. (Walker wanted to profit from a canal built across Nicaragua).

1846: California filibuster (quasi official)

1853: William Walker takes Sonora and Baja California.
1854: Walker joins the Civil War in Nicaragua and makes himself president of the country.

The Civil War in turn suppressed such activities, and the growing power of the US military ended private military ventures. But the hatred of Spain, particularly based on the "black legend" remained intense. Thus, when Cuba started a revolution and was subjected to atrocities, William Randolph Hearst and others revived the old passion and stoked it. The Maine destruction was just the excuse that caused the war. But the fire had been raging in the American people for five years or so before that.

Thus, the Spanish American War was essentially the final act in a long struggle between the Anglo-Saxon world that began with Drake in 1578 and ended with Theodore Roosevelt in 1898. A 320-year Cold War, if you want to look at it that way.
Aggie_Journalist
AG
A Roman army and a Goth army once met in the balkans with no intent to actually fight. The leaders were negotiating when a soldier in one of the armies drew a sword to kill a snake. The other army saw the sword drawn and decided to attack. The resulting battle witnessed the death of one of Rome's emperors.

Oops.

The United States declared the war of 1812 over some British policies we were unhappy with, not knowing the British had just repealed those policies and a ship bearing the good news was slowly crossing the Atlantic.

Double oops.
Thanks and gig'em
Stive
AG
Aggie_Journalist said:

A Roman army and a Goth army once met in the balkans with no intent to actually fight. The leaders were negotiating when a soldier in one of the armies drew a sword to kill a snake. The other army saw the sword drawn and decided to attack. The resulting battle witnessed the death of one of Rome's emperors.

Oops.

The United States declared the war of 1812 over some British policies we were unhappy with, not knowing the British had just repealed those policies and a ship bearing the good news was slowly crossing the Atlantic.

Double oops.

Those are fabulous examples.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.