Best Pre-1900 American General

4,329 Views | 45 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Texarkanaag69
Aggie_Journalist
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Best: Grant
Most underrated: Scott
Best nickname: Taylor (Ol' Rough N Ready) or Scott (Ol Fuss N Feathers - it's just so fun to say)

Also, a quick note on Sherman and Georgia. When Sherman detached from his supply lines for his March from Atlanta to Savannah toward the end of the Civil War, confederate President Jefferson Davis dreamed of doing to Sherman what the Russians had done to Napoleon. He ordered the remaining confederate troops in the region to destroy all the supplies between Sherman and Savannah and plant primitive mines in the roads, hoping Sherman's army would starve and disintegrate. But Sherman's army was able to find enough to make it across to Savannah. There are letters from Georgians at this time saying they no longer cared who won the war, they were so angered by Davis' strategy, while Davis blamed confederate soldiers for not being thorough enough in their destruction as the reason Sherman reached Savannah.
Thanks and gig'em
BQ_90
AG
I thought when the confederates starting mining the roads Sherman put POWs in front to take the brunt of the mines, then when that got back to the confederates they stopped mining the roads.
nortex97
AG
I think you are somewhat right, though the story is a bit twisted as often told. Basically, he wasn't going to tolerate the mining efforts of the rebels if against the conventions of war as he saw it (of course he was a brutal guy).

Also, he spared Madison, because his brother (a senator) knew a guy there who lobbied successfully to not have it burned (if I recall correctly). Mainly Savannah was spared because they (a) surrendered without resistance, (b) were a critical supply depot and there was no benefit to burning it. Really, taking the port at Savannah was the primary objective of the whole march.
aTmneal
AG
I would have loved to have seen what a young Winfield Scott could have done during the Civil War.
Ghost of Andrew Eaton
Does Union General George Thomas deserve consideration?
If you say you hate the state of politics in this nation and you don't get involved in it, you obviously don't hate the state of politics in this nation.
BQ78
AG
Not for best but he was solid.
JABQ04
AG
Solid as a .. rock?
BQ78
AG
I see what you did there Chevy.
Rabid Cougar
AG
Ghost of Andrew Eaton said:

Does Union General George Thomas deserve consideration?
One of the best Army (Army of the Cumberland) Commanders for sure. Certainly right there or slightly above Meade.
tallgrant
I think there's not enough focus on how well Grant handled things in the Vicksburg campaign when he got across the Mississippi. His opponents had no idea what he was doing, he moved quickly, and defeated several forces in detail (which kept Pemberton and Johnston from combining forces to oppose him), setting up the siege at Vicksburg where there was only going to be one result.
JABQ04
AG
Username checks out??
Texarkanaag69
AG
Tommy Jon Jackson.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.