Interactive map of Texas Indian depredations

2,654 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by rw1987
dead zip 01
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
https://library.uta.edu/borderland/

Not sure if this has been posted here before but I stumbled across this interactive map that outlines all of the recorded Indian depredations in Texas from 1820 onward as well as other nefarious activities (lynchings, border violence, etc...)

It sucked me in for a couple of hours.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
Thanks, that's pretty neat.

I have an ancestor who was in the 8th cavalry and the newspaper obit mentioned him being an "Indian war scout," but I'd never looked into it much to see how much or where the US units were active in Texas. That map gives a quick way to see where at least some of those conflicts were. Along with some other unpleasant business.
BQ78
AG
*SJW* Where are the white man depredations?*SJW*

That is pretty neat but I noticed many of the little markers aren't geographically correct for the incidents but they are in the vicinity.

That could be a real time killer if you were cooling your heels.
Bighunter43
AG
Yes some of them are located in the wrong areas, contain the wrong information and even the wrong date. Case and point....Gotcher Massacre happened in November of 1836 (they've got Feb. of 1837).....and it says Gotcher's son-in-law was killed as well. However, Gotcher's son-in-law was Lemuel Crawford, who died at the Alamo in March, 1836....many accounts make that mistake and have him in the mass grave with the family. Still.....looks like a pretty cool website.
pmart
BQ78 said:

*SJW* Where are the white man depredations?*SJW*

That is pretty neat but I noticed many of the little markers aren't geographically correct for the incidents but they are in the vicinity.

That could be a real time killer if you were cooling your heels.

I think that is called "Texas history".

But there are a few examples in there of white man depredations.
Apache
AG
This is cool!
Looking around my hometown of Gonzales, I had no idea there were so many attacks... just lost to history.
The different bands of Indians doing the killing was interesting as well: Comanche, Lipan Apache, Caddos, Wichita, Tonkawa.... l

Also interesting to note that Peach Creek was labeled "Tehocote" creek, which is the Mexican name for a hawthorn tree. (Borrowed from the Indians I'm sure) Makes sense since they are numerous in that area.
Agthatbuilds
Somewhat related. Drove to Goliad today.

Remember Goliad.Remember La Bahia.
rw1987
AG
Great map. Found my great great uncle on there.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.