REL Gone

6,606 Views | 71 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by TheSheik
P.H. Dexippus
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Robert E. Lee statue removed from the Capitol. Par for the course in 2020, but a shame to see no less.
Quote:

"The Robert E. Lee statue honors a legacy of division, oppression, and racism a dark period in the history of our Commonwealth and our country," they said. "There is no reason his statue should be one of the two representing Virginia in the U.S. Capitol."

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/12/21/robert-e-lee-statue-removed-from-capitol-449503
Ghost of Andrew Eaton
Mr. AGSPRT04 said:

Robert E. Lee statue removed from the Capitol. Par for the course in 2020, but a shame to see no less.
Quote:

"The Robert E. Lee statue honors a legacy of division, oppression, and racism a dark period in the history of our Commonwealth and our country," they said. "There is no reason his statue should be one of the two representing Virginia in the U.S. Capitol."

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/12/21/robert-e-lee-statue-removed-from-capitol-449503

Any statue celebrating service to the Confederacy should be taken out of the capitol.
If you say you hate the state of politics in this nation and you don't get involved in it, you obviously don't hate the state of politics in this nation.
tmaggies
AG
Yea go ahead and erase it all.......I am proud of my families confederate history!
Ghost of Andrew Eaton
tmaggies said:

Yea go ahead and erase it all.......I am proud of my families confederate history!

Are you a member of the Lee family?

Nothing is being erased, a correction is being made.
If you say you hate the state of politics in this nation and you don't get involved in it, you obviously don't hate the state of politics in this nation.
AgBQ-00
AG
Ghost of Andrew Eaton said:

tmaggies said:

This is straight from ministry of truth double speak.
Communists aren't people. They are property of the state.
Ghost of Andrew Eaton
AgBQ-00 said:

Ghost of Andrew Eaton said:

tmaggies said:

This is straight from ministry of truth double speak.

Please explain. I'm all for having a conversation.
jja79
AG
Racism is solved. Next.
FIDO_Ags
I too had ancestors who fought for the Confederacy and am proud of this connection to American History. I have been to nearly every battlefield where Lee was present. Been to Appomattox Courthouse and the McLean House and then walked to his last camp after he surrendered thinking about the sorrow he must have felt after surrendering to Grant.

But moving the REL statue out of the Capital is not erasing history. He fought against the US and his statue never should have been there.
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
He also fought FOR the USA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ghost of Andrew Eaton
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas said:

He also fought FOR the USA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Was his service to the United States worthy of a statue within the Capitol building? Would officers with a similar service record have a statue within the building?
pmart
From Charles Bracelen Flood's book, 'Lee: The Last Years -
Lee knew that the war was over and that everything depended on a new attitude for a new day. He was taken to call on a lady who lived north of Lexington, and she promptly showed him the remains of a tree in her yard. All its limbs had been shot off by Federal artillery fire during Hunter's raid, and its trunk torn by cannonballs. The woman looked at him expectantly as she showed him this memento of what she and her property had endured. Here was a man who would sympathize.

Lee finally spoke. "Cut it down, my dear Madam, and forget it."
AgBQ-00
AG
Out of all participants of the Civil War Lee very well could be the one who is most deserving of respect and honor. Judging him by the standards of today and to denigrate him is to do great disservice to the memory of all who fought for both sides. Those claiming that history is not being erased I have a question for you. Why is it in every marxist/communist takeover they take down the statues of those who were honored with them? Your bleeding heart of not wanting to offend is creating the very ground from which the totalitarian will sprout.
Communists aren't people. They are property of the state.
pmart
https://images.app.goo.gl/HMhGmnikkwtVfKzc6

pmart
"It's often forgotten that Lee himself, after the Civil War, opposed monuments, specifically Confederate war monuments," said Jonathan Horn, the author of the Lee biography, "The Man Who Would Not Be Washington."
"Lee believed countries that erased visible signs of civil war recovered from conflicts quicker," Horn said. "He was worried that by keeping these symbols alive, it would keep the divisions alive."
Ghost of Andrew Eaton
oragator
Lee was mostly an honorable man who fought out of service to his state, not a love of slavery or the cause. He was also a brilliant general who should he studied for a variety of reasons:
But, as a Virginia resident, given what he freely chose to do, he should not be honored in the capitol, nor is he is being erased. There are plenty of museums, scholarly books, military sites etc that provide context on his life.
Jmo.
Ghost of Andrew Eaton
P.H. Dexippus
AG
I assume you're Sapper so you are or should be aware of what a Hati-style slave rebellion would have meant for this country. REL answering the call of the USA to efficiently retake the federal arsenal from under the control of a Toussaint L'Ouverture wannabe is a reason to honor the man.
Ghost of Andrew Eaton
Mr. AGSPRT04 said:

I assume you're Sapper so you are or should be aware of what a Hati-style slave rebellion would have meant for this country. REL answering the call of the USA to efficiently retake the federal arsenal from under the control of a Toussaint L'Ouverture wannabe is a reason to honor the man.

It was my understanding that Brown wanted to create a series of "forts" within the Appalachian mountains to help runaways escape from slavery.

And I'm not Sapper.
pmart
Mr. AGSPRT04 said:

I am not following this line of thinking that REL should be honored for putting down one rebellion only to lead another rebellion against this country. That second rebellion led to the highest war casualties in the history of this country. This also does not include the loss of life due to slavery prior to emancipation.

BQ78
AG
Brown was planning more than a safe refuge for slaves he was trying to arm runaway slaves and start a mass slave insurrection
oragator
To use an extreme example to make a point, Benedict Arnold was a national hero after his efforts at Fort Ticonderoga and Saratoga. The US literally might not be a nation without him. But we don't have statues of him floating around. Sometimes your bad actions more than offset the good you might have done, even if we were to agree on the relative morality of Brown and Lee's actions.

Lee was given a choice to command the union army or command an army that took up arms against the country, and to do so largely in defense of the single worst institution in the history of this country. Even if he ultimately felt obligated to side with his state, he willingly made his choice.
BQ78
AG
Benedict Arnold has a monument for his efforts at Saratoga. do we need to go pull it down?

Ghost of Andrew Eaton
BQ78 said:

Benedict Arnold has a monument for his efforts at Saratoga. do we need to go pull it down?

Does it celebrate his service to the British?
BQ78
AG
It celebrates the man who provided service to the British.
Ghost of Andrew Eaton
BQ78 said:

It celebrates the man who provided service to the British.

Not the same thing but you already knew that.
oragator
That monument doesn't even name Arnold (which in itself says a lot), and even then it is at a site where his contributions can be taken in context.
Comparing that to the pubic reverence to Robert E Lee in countless things (statues, schools, streets, buildings etc) and especially giving him a place of honor in the nation's capitol is a pretty big stretch.
BQ78
AG
It's not?

I would argue the success of the Mexican War was in a large part due to the efforts of REL, I would say they are quite similar to Arnold before he became a "traitor." REL was a man of higher principles than Arnold but actions are similar.

If anything REL may be more deserving of statues because unlike Arnold who wound up with a foreign power, Lee supported a domestic power. Like it or not the Confederacy was an American power.
Ghost of Andrew Eaton
BQ78 said:

It's not?

I would argue the success of the Mexican War was in a large part due to the efforts of REL, I would say they are quite similar to Arnold before he became a "traitor." REL was a man of higher principles than Arnold but actions are similar.

If anything REL may be more deserving of statues because unlike Arnold who wound up with a foreign power, Lee supported a domestic power. Like it or not the Confederacy was an American power.

So the statues to Lee have been erected due to his service in the Mexican War? If that's the case, keep them up. But I think you know that isn't why 99% of monuments to REL have been erected.

How many other military leaders have statues within the Capitol building?
BQ78
AG
Joe Wheeler is in there still from Alabama

Alec Stephens of the Cornerstone speech fame is still in there

Also the the traitor Zebulon Vance from NC.

The ultimate traitor Jeff Davis is still there too.

REL is more deserving than those four.

You got something against military men, typically I find them more honorable than politicians who seem to predominate the statues?

But besides Wheeler you also have Nathanial Greene, Wade Hampton (another traitor), Phil Kearney, Oliver Perry, Lew Wallace, James Garfield and George Washington. Those are who come to mind there are probably others.

All men are flawed, if a flaw makes you unworthy of honor, no one including Mother Theresa deserves a statue.
Ghost of Andrew Eaton
BQ78 said:

Joe Wheeler is in there still from Alabama

Alec Stephens of the Cornerstone speech fame is still in there

Also the the traitor Zebulon Vance from NC.

The ultimate traitor Jeff Davis is still there too.

REL is more deserving than those four.

You got something against military men, typically I find them more honorable than politicians who seem to predominate the statues?

But besides Wheeler you also have Nathanial Greene, Wade Hampton (another traitor), Phil Kearney, Oliver Perry, Lew Wallace, James Garfield and George Washington. Those are who come to mind there are probably others.

All men are flawed, if a flaw makes you unworthy of honor, no one including Mother Theresa deserves a statue.

First, I have no problems at all with military men whatsoever. I apologize if that is what I communicated but it's not accurate. I believe that any statue should be removed from the Capitol that celebrates the actions of those men serving the Confederacy. If the Jeff Davis statue is only about his dedicated service to the country before the Civil War, I'm all for it. Same with Lee but that usually isn't why statues of Lee and Davis are erected. It's the same reason I'm good with the Sul Ross statue. He's not honored as a Confederate "hero" except for one passing mention that probably should be erased from that statue on campus. Keep it about A&M and A&M only.

I don't think anyone on here is asking for perfection. I'm not against Washington or Jackson statues, as long as they don't memorialize their actions as enslavers. But I do believe that the motivation for erecting a statue is a significant factor in whether it should remain or not. From what I know about Lee statues, he's always in his "Confederate " uniform and that doesn't need to be celebrated in public building.

Lee had a number of quality attributes but his service to the Confederacy isn't even close to being one.
F4GIB71
Robert E Lee freed the slaves on this day in 1862 that he inherited from his father in law, two and a half years before the end of the war.
oragator
Those slaves were part of his FIL's estate, when he died in 1857 his will declared they be freed within five years.
Lee actually petitioned the courts twice to have that timeframe extended indefinitely and lost. He also called slavery an evil, but was clear he thought that was more to do with its effect on white owners than on the slaves.

So I don't think he was a gung ho slave owner, but he certainly wasn't an abolitionist either.
Rongagin71
AG
Abolitionists were the precursors of what we call terrorists and the main cause of the War Between The States.
Some will say that the need to end slavery justifies the destruction of a dozen large states and the corresponding hatred, but in fact the freeing of black slaves was just a matter of time as shown by the fact the main trade partners of the South (Britain & France) had already outlawed slavery except in their colonies, and were moving toward universal coverage...they would surely have put pressure on the South to also end the "peculiar institution" ...the last New World country to end slavery was Brazil about 1892. Lee defended Virginia from an unjust invasion and is a hero. Statues of Lee were put up well after the Civil War and were attempts to reunite the country in order to fight together again. Modern misunderstanding of how common racism was in the past has led to attempts to punish people for being what most everyone was at the time and what practically none are now.
titan
S

Well the main problem is the Democratic Party and the Mainstream Media simply keep the racism narrative alive to further their vote schemes and enlarge their power. That's why they never really solve anything either, and yet keep talking about it even though it is blue cities and long Democrat dominated places that most have issues with blacks not making as good as progress.

As for REL, I can support removing from the *Capitol* because of the peculiar paradoxes involved and a witless and shallow minded 21st C's inability to comprehend such nuance. But Lee should retain his honors elsewhere.

This is a history thread, so will leave it at that, but the politics of the present is what is behind the whole sjw erasure thing. No one associated with history that is worth a salt should support erasure of it.
FrioAg 00:
Leftist Democrats "have completely overplayed the Racism accusation. Honestly my first reaction when I hear it today is to assume bad intentions by the accuser, not the accused."
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.