Lesser-known good WW1 Books?

931 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by ArgyleAg
Rooster4Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This is the niche I enjoy reading about. Anyone have any good suggestions?
What have ye done to surpass man?
JABQ04
AG
I have several I enjoyed on my kindle:
"The Battle of Jutland" by Holloway Frost

"The Old Contemptibles; the BEF in 1914"
"The Death of Glory"
"Attrition". (All 3 by Robin Neillands)

And a couple of memoirs:
"Her Privates We" by Fredrick Manning
"A Rifleman went to War" by Herbert W McBride
Rooster4Ag
AG
Thanks!
74OA
AG
Scroll down to the WWI section here.
BQ78
AG
Edwin Campion Vaughan's diary Some Desperate Glory
30wedge
A slightly different book about the Great War that I really enjoyed was "The Last of the Doughboys" by Richard Rubin. Over like an 8 or 10 year period he traveled all over interviewing those who fought in the war. Some didn't want to talk about it, some didn't want to stop talking. Some had mental capacity that prevented the interview from amounting to much. Or died before he could meet with them. They are all over 100 years of age. I found it interesting, their stories. The last one, Frank Buckles, died in 2011. The insight was amazing. I wish I had thought of interviewing guys like that. My grandfather died 9 years before I was born, so I never got to hear his stories.

A guy I met on the 100 anniversary Doughboy tour gave me a digital copy of his grandfather's diary that he kept throughout the war. Our grandfathers were both in the 32nd division, his in the artillery and mine in the infantry. We took a picture of us both standing under the sign coming into Romagne where our grandads had both been. His military life wasn't anything like what I imagined it was like.

Sounds as if you have a deep interest in that war. I cannot emphasize enough, if you haven't already, that you should take a tour to France and Belgium and stand in places where it all happened. You will never forget it. I just need to go again!
Rooster4Ag
AG
I'll make it one day. I'm just a kid but I plan on doing it later in life.
30wedge
Roster4Ag said:

I'll make it one day. I'm just a kid but I plan on doing it later in life.
Good for you!
ArgyleAg
AG
A Marine Tells It to You by Frederic May Wise. An autobiographical account of a Marine officer's military career from the late 1800s through WW1. What different times those were.
Gig'em, Co.D2, Class'70
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.