TAMU History Department view of Sul Ross

2,589 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BQ78
88agg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
fyi - I just read this, but I don't really understand why they wrote it this way. They only pointed out the bad things that occurred during his lifetime and didn't really relate those events specifically to him. I would guess that there are a lot of written accounts that could clarify his positions but it doesn't appear they took the time to review them.
I am of the opinion that you can't learn from history if you remove it. I want to keep the statue and use it as a discussion point for history not hide it.

http://facultysenate.tamu.edu/FacultySenate/media/Media/Miscellaneous/Updated-Sul-Ross-History-Statement.pdf
JABQ04
AG
The new fad is to **** on history. Your either with these people or against them. No middle ground.
Eliminatus
AG
JABQ04 said:

The new fad is to **** on history. Your either with these people or against them. No middle ground.

New? I'm pretty sure history depts. we're among the first to start trending far, far left in American universities. It's why I steered away from it as a possible career. I couldn't stand the people I saw in charge of it. And that was back in the very early aughts.
Catag94
AG
There was a post I read last week or so and can't locate now regarding the great accomplishments of Ross. It was written by a historian who has studied Ross for 40 years. Anyone have the link?
Cen-Tex
AG
JABQ04 said:

bet they all voted for Hillary
Post removed:
by user
Catag94
AG
I found the article in the Eagle
Post removed:
by user
Smeghead4761
Article is stuck behind a "You must turn off your ad blocker" wall.

Screw them, I'm not turning off my ad blocker.
Catag94
AG
Sorry. Just saw
You question, but glad you found it. All of these main points are easily verified in multiple sources as is all the great service to country, state, county, TAMU (and education in general particular for African Americans). What isn't very easily substantiated is Ross being a "Negro Killer".
Not to say he didn't do such, I'm just saying that it's very clear why he would be honored in the form of named schools, and statues in our state and on our campus.
Scorebook
AG
Let's be honest, L.S. Ross was a post-Civil War Southern Democratic politician, which put you in the more likely to be a white supremacist category. The trouble in Ft. Bend doesn't really shine a great light on him-he removed Black office holders for White Democrats. The language of this letter is more discouraging of the location rather than the existence of the statue. If you think he is being misrepresented-keep researching, really.
Comeby!
AG
Does it speak to anything that he specifically did and cite it? Many things in that time period were wrong by today's standards. That isn't specifically limited to centuries ago, even things in the last 5-10 years were considered ok and normal that are not today. People change, things change. Hopefully for the better.
Scorebook
AG
I get that. That's why I don't think defenders of the Sully statue should want the statue destroyed or put in a total negative light. Putting Sully's actions in context and then praising his commitment to public education to the white and black young person of the 19th century should be praised. I have a lot of respect for what he did for A&M, but as a societies values change: is it wrong to deemphasize some things and emphasize others.
JABQ04
AG
Some of you folks smarter than me can probably find some one, but I'm drawing a blank.....is there anybody who has ever existed, besides Jesus Christ, who we can put up a statue and have absolutely zero skeletons in his (or her) closet that would offend one group or another?

Like I said, I'm at a loss thinking of everyone I can who has contributed to science, politics, history, Or whatever that is immaculate.
Law-5L
AG
The department is politicized like most every corner of academia. The agenda supersedes all.
aTmAg
AG
Did Sul Ross own slaves? I'm having a hard time finding out on the interweb.
The_Waco_Kid
AG
Jesus Christ would still offend atheists. There is literally no statue that could be erected without upsetting somebody.

I'm waiting for the day the LGBTQIA+ community gets upset with every city having an MLK Jr park, center, street, or statue. He was part of a church that didn't recognize LGBTQIA+ as people, and was a known adulterer.
BQ78
AG
His biography by Judith Benner does not mention slaves or slavery. I don't think his family's economic status would afford it as they were dirt farmers. After university he became a ranger and then the war came. Did he own or lease a slave as a general? Don't know, haven't read anything about it so probably not. His wealth came after the war, not before or during.
aTmAg
AG
What rank was he when the war started?

Was he a good general?
Catag94
AG
aTmAg said:

What rank was he when the war started?

Was he a good general?

His brother was recruiting men for a new company of soldiers and he enlisted as a Private. But, Gov Clark immediately sent Him to serve as an Indian Agent as he had a lot of experience dealing with civil Indians and helped them with their struggles against the Comanche. Afterward he joined what was later known as the Sixth Texas Calvary as a Major.
themissinglink
AG
His family did. He was in his early 20s when the war broke out and likely hadn't acquired the capital to purchase a slave yet.

History is a lot more complicated than either side of the statue debate wants to admit.

LS Ross made some amazing contributions Texas education (for both blacks and whites). He fought to ensure A&M, UT, and prairie view were adequately funded as governor and A&M president. He implanted standards at A&M to turn it from basically a remedial, reform school to a respected college. As governor, he allowed funding for the "deaf and dumb school for colored students" (he had personal objections but was convinced not to veto and later wholeheartedly approved of this decision made). He also allowed for the expansion of Prairie View's curriculum to add technical subjects (agriculture & mechanical) which was controversial at the time.

His views towards blacks were a lot more complicated. He fought for the south seemingly knowing he was defending slavery (His request for a pardon after the war seems to acknowledge he understood the war to be about slavery). After the war as sheriff, state senator, and Governor, he fought against mob violence and the prosecution of those who committed it (including racist atrocities committed by whites against blacks). He publicly opposed a poll tax and supported suffrage for blacks but did negotiate an end to the violence in Fort Bend with a deal that disenfranchised black voters.

Was he better then his Texas contemporaries towards blacks? Yes. Many prominent black politicians and educators seemed to think of him as an ally, but there were several prominent things he did throughout his life which impeded the advancement of African Americans.

He made many contributions to this earth. Some good, some not so good. He was human.
BQ78
AG
For an amateur soldier he did very well. He was obviously a leader of men.
Post removed:
by user
BQ78
AG
Nah, the black race committed genocide against the nature loving original Americans ala-Christopher Columbus.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.