Courland Pocket, Latvia 1944-45

1,850 Views | 3 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Eliminatus
Rabid Cougar
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I had an article come up on my news feed that looked fairly interesting. An organization that has been going around Courland in Latvia and collecting dead soldiers from both world wars that were buried where they fell. Turned out to be click bait but I pushed through it and it was quiet interesting. I knew the Courland Pocket was hell on earth but the stories and pictures of their finds was genuinely fascinating. They were going to peoples houses and telling them you have dead soldiers in your back yard and sure enough they would find them.

One story was very graphic. The stumbled upon a German trench line and found parts of numerous bodies. All of their metal kit was shredded with shrapnel. As they worked they collected and started to "piece" everyone back together. It must have been surreal.

ja86
AG
A pretty good detailed video on the Courland Pocket for those interested...

JABQ04
AG
There's a show on Netflix called Battlefield Recovery that covers this group (or a group) doing just this. IIRC it's on the Courland pocket as well
Jaydoug
AG
http://historicalpost.com/anthropology-and-history/military-history/courland-pocket-world-war-two-eastern-front-soldiers-remains-world-war-one/?l=g

Eliminatus
AG
The only dedicated book I've been able to find is one called Blood in the Forest by Vincent Hunt. Everything else so far has been lumped into the larger overall campaign at the end of the war.

I bought about a year ago and just remembered about it from this thread.

Guess I know what I am reading next!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.