Gunner's Mate question

1,938 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by pagerman @ work
AgBQ-00
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My granddad was a gunner's mate on the USS Alabama during WWII. I never got a chance to ask him and thought someone here might know. What type of duties did a gunner's mate have?
Communists aren't people. They are property of the state.
BQ78
AG
I believe they maintain and repair the guns
Bodie Broadus
Mainly this. They also maintain VLS (although, this is a rather new thing for a GM).
CT'97
AG
My grandfather was also a gunners mate and as mentioned above, he would have been assigned a weapon system. His primary job would have been to maintain and operate that weapon system. Anything from part of one of the main gun crews to an anti-aircraft gun.

He also would have been part of the deck crew that would have had alternate duties cleaning and maintaining everything above decks from scrubbing decks to chipping and painting among other things.
AgBQ-00
AG
Thanks for the replies! I really wish I could have talked with him about his service. He died when I was 11 and was sick for several years before that.
aalan94
AG
GO TO THE ALABAMA. There is nothing else to say. Best-preserved battleship I've seen. There are only two reasons to go to mobile: to see the U.S.S. Alabama and to get mugged.

It's worth it to go.
Bodie Broadus
Went there with my dad when I was going to a tech school in Pensacola. Great visit and enjoyed it. So definitely will echo this recommendation.
Ciboag96
Contact them, let them know who your grandfather was and see if you can get a tour of the ship with his life on board in mind. You never know unless you ask.
Maximus_Meridius
AG
Alabama is definitely worth the trip. I disagree with Aalan regarding "Best", but it's fantastic in any case.
AgBQ-00
AG
Had not thought of that. I am going to see if that can be done.
74OA
AG
Gunners Mate
pagerman @ work
AG
aalan94 said:

GO TO THE ALABAMA. There is nothing else to say. Best-preserved battleship I've seen. There are only two reasons to go to mobile: to see the U.S.S. Alabama and to get mugged.

It's worth it to go.

Dreamland BBQ for ribs.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.