Continental Army Regimental Flags

1,425 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Gradaggie05
Gradaggie05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm having a hard time finding anything on what North Carolina Regimental flags looked like during the revolution. The most I can come up with is the "Guilford Courthouse" flag which appears to actually be a state militia flag from 1812.

Sapper Redux
Are you sure they had them? NC regulars were very poorly supplied and staffed by the state during the war.
Gradaggie05
AG
That's certainly a possibility. But I find it really hard to believe that units would be without a standard when other regiments in the Army had them. I've seen at least one example that was made out of a curtain drapes.

I'm more of the opinion that the southern colonies (minus Virginia) didn't do as good of a job with records.

My next "Google" attempt is going to see what kind of flags the British captured at Charleston, SC.
aalan94
AG
Flags weren't simply adornment. They were used as rally points and signals. So every unit would have had something. But it might have been something so non-descript as to not warrant record keeping. A single color banner or something basic is not unlikely for units with few resources.
Sapper Redux
aalan94 said:

Flags weren't simply adornment. They were used as rally points and signals. So every unit would have had something. But it might have been something so non-descript as to not warrant record keeping. A single color banner or something basic is not unlikely for units with few resources.

Every regiment would have had some marker or perhaps a national flag. But records for Americans Rev War regimental banners is more paltry. It wasn't as big a deal until the Napoleonic wars and after.
aalan94
AG
Case in point, the Gutierrez-Magee filibuster, which I have been studying. Their banner was as far as we know, a simple green flag with no words or other markings on it. Could have been a sheet as far as we know. The point is for troops to be able to recognize it in battle.
Gradaggie05
AG
I went ahead and called the NC govt office of history and archives. The guy was really nice. He's looking into it.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.