US Cold War Targets

6,158 Views | 56 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by CanyonAg77
coupland boy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

There was a discussion about declassified target lists in the US some time ago. I don't remember which forum it was on and it was some time ago.

I also recall the corner of University Dr. and Texas Ave. was the aiming point for B/CS. Indeed this attached map has a triangle indicated over B/CS. Triangle being a 500 warhead exchanged.

The large concentration of black dots (2000 warhead exchange) ............

1. North Dakota is Minot AFB. Apparently minuteman missiles there.

2. Malmstrom Air Force Base (same thing -missile base)

3. Cheyenne Wyoming is obvious (NORAD).

My question was going to be about 1 and 2 but I looked around a bit. I guess the only question I had about that is what is the point in targeting those sites in a 2000 warhead exchange? Seems as if the missiles there would be a first target to knock them out.

Other than that just posted for interest and conversation.

EMY92
AG
NORAD is in Cheyenne Mountain in Colorado Springs.

The large concentration of black dots in the upper plains are the locations of our missile silos. I would assume all military bases are targeted.
coupland boy
AG
Well like I said that was going to be my question and then I found those air force bases and their nature (missiles) with a quick search.

Still, you'd think those particular targets would be among the first targeted than the last. An empty silo that fired it's missile already doesn't seem like a great place to dump all your 'extras. But hey, I guess one tends to lose sight of the bigger picture and that is the rest of the US would be pretty jacked up anyway.
coupland boy
AG
EMY92 said:

NORAD is in Cheyenne Mountain in Colorado Springs.

The large concentration of black dots in the upper plains are the locations of our missile silos. I would assume all military bases are targeted.

Oh I follow you now. Cheyenne Wyoming =/= Cheyenne Mountain. Thanks

Another question - does a missile silo require a direct hit to take it Out?

I see a lot of nuclear power plant areas targeted. Lots a ***ushimas to pollute our land
who?mikejones
AG
Is Longview or thereabouts a target?
BrazosBendHorn
What did Iowa City and Cedar Rapids ever do to get on the list for the 500 warhead scenario?
45-70Ag
AG
Looks like if you lived in Idaho, you would have been safe
BQ78
AG
Cedar Rapids is Rockwell and Collins Radio
Iowa City is University of Iowa

I'm sure the Russians were as redundant as we were with targets, a missile could fail, be intercepted if an ABM capability had been hidden or just miss the target.

I sat alert several times on the highest priority B-52 mission in the fleet. We would have been the 10th and 11th weapon on the target and we carried the weapons with biggest yield possible for a B-52. So if everything went right we would have been releasing weapons on a burning hole in the ground but it was still the highest priority mission for B-52s in the big one.

I noticed that is not a DoD target list for the US and I see some things that make me question the veracity of it.
GasAg90
Looks like the rooskis don't like bastions of liberalism.
coupland boy
AG
Why was the Valley (Brownsville) and Laredo a high priority target. Multiple warheads during the 500 warhead scenario.

Agriculture?
EMY92
AG
Laredo had an Air Force base that closed in the early 70s.

The overall target list looks like every metro area with 100,000 or more people are targeted.
Sapper Redux
GasAg90 said:

Looks like the rooskis don't like bastions of liberalism.

They're targeting population centers. Nice to know everywhere I've lived has been a priority target. Makes me feel needed by the Russians.
BMach
AG
Komatsu used to be a munitions factory if I remember correctly.
Rabid Cougar
AG
Limestone and Freestone Counties?????
BQ_90
AG
Rabid Cougar said:

Power plants
GasAg90
I think there were some lignite mines there.

With the multiple levels of the people, economy and infrastructure targeted, if you survived life would be hard.
CS78
So how many warheads did they have, that could actually reach us, at their disposal? You would think they would have redundant targets to make sure they got through rather than some of the rural stuff that's listed.

Any idea what the target in east TX, near Jasper would have been?
CanyonAg77
AG
coupland boy said:

Well like I said that was going to be my question and then I found those air force bases and their nature (missiles) with a quick search.

Still, you'd think those particular targets would be among the first targeted than the last. An empty silo that fired it's missile already doesn't seem like a great place to dump all your 'extras. But hey, I guess one tends to lose sight of the bigger picture and that is the rest of the US would be pretty jacked up anyway.
I think you're confused. The "2000 warhead" scenario doesn't come into play after the "500 warheads" go off, they would be shot at the same time.

The way to read the map is

There is a first strike planned

• If we only have 500 warheads, this is what we hit
  • If we have 2000 warheads, here are the additional 1500 targets we will hit at the same time
coupland boy
AG
Yes i see what you mean. I just figured each side had at least 2000 warheads poised for delivery. It's still a priority thing and that goes to mutually assured destruction, i.e. the gun to the head of each others' population centers first.
Rabid Cougar
AG
Jasper would be the Sam Rayburn Dam. Has hydropower plant. Whitney Dam is also on the map. I looked and all of the big civil works dams are on the list.
OldArmy71
AG
What a depressing map......
CS78
Rabid Cougar said:

Jasper would be the Sam Rayburn Dam. Has hydropower plant. Whitney Dam is also on the map. I looked and all of the big civil works dams are on the list.

So much for my idea of bugging out to the lake house and living off catfish.
Ag In Ok
AG
coupland boy said:

Why was the Valley (Brownsville) and Laredo a high priority target. Multiple warheads during the 500 warhead scenario.

Agriculture?

I would think yes given the targeting of the sierras in California providing water to the central valley
CanyonAg77
AG
BQ_90 said:

Rabid Cougar said:

Power plants
Yeah, I was really confused by the dot on the far west edge of the Panhandle. Finally figured out that Tolk station power plant, one of the largest in Texas, is there.

It wasn't built until 1982, wonder how old that map is.
coupland boy
AG
It's a FEMA map and I've seen it come up attached to a few sources. This article is from April 2017. Still.....could be pretty old though.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.express.co.uk/news/world/791523/nuclear-war-usa-bomb-shelters-fallout-north-korea-russia/amp
ja86
AG
OldArmy71 said:

What a depressing map......
why, you thought the soviets would discriminate.

Read Bevoor's fall of Berlin to get an insight into soviet thinking...

ps. they have enough weapons to make life miserable.

MTAggie
AG
BQ_90 said:

Rabid Cougar said:

Power plants
Bull crap! *******s were after Wright's BBQ in Mexia.

GD Soviet heathens!
Rabid Cougar
AG
Rabid Cougar said:

We unloaded tons of 1950's emergency rations, water and supplies (blankets, generators, fuel, air filtrations systems, etc) out of the dams back in the 1990's. There are/were several that were designated as assembly points for government officials.

Pretty cool set ups with all being designed and built in the early 50's to mid 1960's.
Stive
AG
Yeah, it looks like they targeted every power plant in the country with their 2,000 warhead targets. That's going to explain most of your random spots Longview (Tatum plant) and some of your other out of the blue dots.
gigemhilo
AG
Stive - looks like MP would have been hit with 2!! and here I thought we were relatively safe being so far from Dallas!
Stive
AG
Yep. Depending on the size of the warhead, it almost seems like they could have dropped one squarely between Monticello and Welsh and accomplished the same thing, but they doubled up to make sure.

Ouch.
coupland boy
AG
The valley still surprises me a little. 4 warheads in a 500 exchange.
Stive
AG
What's amazing to think about is even if only 25% of those were in some way effective, how damaging and crippling it would be.
coupland boy
AG
Stive said:

What's amazing to think about is even if only 25% of those were in some way effective, how damaging and crippling it would be.

We'd be chuckin' rocks at each other for sure. From a fallout perspective I would assume crap would spread darn near everywhere but I wonder what Canada, Alaska (parts of it at least), and Australia's maps looks like.
BQ_90
AG
coupland boy said:

Stive said:

We'd be chuckin' rocks at each other for sure. From a fallout perspective I would assume crap would spread darn near everywhere but I wonder what Canada, Alaska (parts of it at least), and Australia's maps looks like.
I'm sure Alaska would be hit, the AF badges and the pipeline for sure. I'm sure all radar stations in northern Canada would have been hit
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.