Who Remembers Cadet Slouch?

4,016 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by BanderaAg956
TexasA&MFoundation
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Sponsor
Who remembers Cadet Slouch?

From 1953 to 1985, The Battalion published cartoons featuring Cadet Slouch, a humorous, bumbling cadet in the Corps of Cadets.

During the 32 years he graced The Battalion's pages, Slouch witnessed the university going co-ed, changing its name and making the Corps non-mandatory, among other developments.

Slouch's tenure in the campus newspaper began when Earle approached editors Jerry Bennett '54 and Ed Holder '54 about including an occasional cartoon drawn by him.

Spurred by positive feedback from his early efforts, his occasional drawings became daily. By Thanksgiving 1953, Earle had developed his identifiable lead character, Slouch: the Aggie who always tried to make things work out, but never could.

See more cartoons featuring Cadet Slouch and learn more about the man who brought him to life, James Earle '54, in our spring 2017 issue of Spirit Magazine.

TexasAggie73
Burrus86
coyote68
Cadet Slouch was an inspiration to me and many others. He had an intimate knowledge of life in the Corps.
The Original AG 76
AG
Had Dr Earle for EDG back in the 70's. Great class and great cartoons. He is a great Ag.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
I came in right as Cadet Slouch was leaving but I do recall the name and seeing the cartoons in the Batt.
BanderaAg956
I had Dr. Earle for EDG my freshman year (1980), he was tough but interesting! Not only could he draw be wrote the noon used in EDG!!!
CanyonAg77
AG
https://www.theeagle.com/obituaries/earle-dr-james-h-jim/article_fe2e1467-902c-55c9-ba5b-fb89a436360c.html

Here
BanderaAg956
Here
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.