War memorials at A&M

16,194 Views | 75 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by The Original AG 76
CanyonAg77
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So in reading this thread, which discusses an art critic's visit to A&M, she seems surprised at the lack of war memorials. Obviously, she doesn't get it, but it made me think of something. I can tell you where there are remembrances of most conflicts, except one.

Is there a specific Korean War memorial on campus? I can't think of one.
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
Over 50 KIA in Korea !
ABATTBQ87
AG
I think there is a monument or plaque at the end of the quad for the korean conflict
45-70Ag
AG
Where's the wwi and Vietnam memorials?
TwoMarksHand
AG
I was thinking this as well, but I bet there are memorials around the quad. I wasn't in the Corps so I'm not sure.
ABATTBQ87
AG
quote:
Where's the wwi and Vietnam memorials?
There are three WWI Memorials:

• The West Gate memorial "In recognition of the splended participation of the A&M college in the World Wa and the heroic sacrifices made by her sons, this memorial is dedicated by the classes of 1923-24-25-26
  • There are plaques honoring those who died in WWI at the base of the trees that surround the main drill field
  • 52 or 55 Flags fly over Kyle Field to represent those who died in WWI

I think the Vietnam memorial is at the end of the Quad, on the west side where the flags are located,
CanyonAg77
AG
Kyle is not a memorial. The Vietnam memorial was directly in front of Duncan in my day.
ABATTBQ87
AG
quote:
Kyle is not a memorial. The Vietnam memorial was directly in front of Duncan in my day.
Didn't say Kyle was a memorial, said the flags that fly around the stadium are memorials to those who died in WWI
45-70Ag
AG
I completely forgot about the memorial at west gate.

I remember walking past that hundreds of times and reading it but that's been a long time ago.
CanyonAg77
AG
quote:
Didn't say Kyle was a memorial, said the flags that fly around the stadium are memorials to those who died in WWI
Sorry, no. That's what I was taught, as well, and it's been repeatedly debunked.
CanyonAg77
AG
quote:
I completely forgot about the memorial at west gate.
It was moved for that gosh awful bell tower, but not too far.

Speaking of moving things, the Spanish-American War memorial was in Spence Park. Is it still there or did it get moved for the Sanders Corps Center?
Pro Sandy
AG
CanyonAg77
AG
Thanks
ABATTBQ87
AG
quote:
quote:
Sorry, no. That's what I was taught, as well, and it's been repeatedly debunked.
CanyonAg77 in my dad's 1954 Aggie Campusology book question #6 is:

How are the 52 Aggies killed in WWI commemorated?

There are 52 trees at the base of which are stone markers, around the Main Drill Field; there are 52 flags flying over Kyle Field at each football game; and there is a granite memorial at the West Gate.

So when was this campusology answer debunked?
ABATTBQ87
AG
Rabid Cougar
AG
Memorial Student Center. The whole complex is a Memorial. You don't walk on the grass and you don't wear you cover inside. Has all the MOH plaques.
Spider69
AG
My class (1969) has a Vietnam memorial between Dorms 2 & 4 on the side street by the Corps Center for those killed and our one MIA. It's a small replica like the VN memorial in DC. More Aggies were killed in VN from my class & the 1966 class than others, I think.
A.G.S.
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
CanyonAg77 in my dad's 1954 Aggie Campusology book question #6 is:

How are the 52 Aggies killed in WWI commemorated?

There are 52 trees at the base of which are stone markers, around the Main Drill Field; there are 52 flags flying over Kyle Field at each football game; and there is a granite memorial at the West Gate.

So when was this campusology answer debunked?
If it was debunked it wasn't removed from the campos in '04-08. Except I remember saying 55.
bigtruckguy3500
quote:
The Vietnam memorial was directly in front of Duncan in my day.
I think that memorial, now on Corps Plaza just outside the arches, now commemorates all Aggies who have died since WWII.
""This memorial is dedicated to the A&M men who gave their lives in defense of our country since World War 2. Here is enshrined in the spirit and bronze a tribute to their valor and devotion to their country.""
Warrior 66
The Memorial on the Corps Plaza is the Memorial dedicated to those Aggies who have died in war since WWII (Korea, Viet Nam, Desert Storm, Iraqi Freedom, Enduring Freedom). My Father's Platoon Leader in Korea, LT Mabry Cain, who died in his arms, is on that Memorial. I remember showing my Dad that name on that Memorial when I was a fish in the Band. A very emotional experience for him. At the time that Memorial was located just outside of Duncan Dining Hall.

The "West Gate" Memorial is dedicated to those Aggies who died during WWI, and is located near Albritton Tower.

The Spanish American War Memorial is located to the south of the Corps Center, between the Quad and Spence Park, where it was located when I was at A&M.

Of course, the MSC is the Memorial to those Aggies who died during WWII.

I am trying to move the WWI Memorial and the Spanish American War Memorial to the Corps Plaza, where the other Memorial to those who died after WWII is located. We have plans to locate them opposite the Post-WWII Memorial on the other side of the Plaza, and call the Plaza "Memorial Plaza." Nothing definite yet, but I feel confident we'll be able to do it. Puts all the Memorials where they belong - at the entrance to the Quad, where the Corps lives, especially since all those whose names are on those memorials were once part of the Corps of Cadets. Also puts them in a more visible location, where people can easily see them and remember that Aggies have been involved in every war our country has been involved in since the Spanish American War (most people, including staff and faculty at A&M, can't tell you where those memorials are today!) .

Will keep you posted as we finalize plans to move the WWI and Spanish American Memorials to the Corps Plaza.

Gig 'em!
OldArmy71
AG
Speaking of memorials, General Ramirez, do you know what happened to the Fountain in the Grove? As you know, that was a privately-funded memorial to an individual.
Warrior 66
No idea what happened to the fountain at the Grove. The Grove was gone long before I got back to Aggieland. But I'll ask around and see if I can find out.
CanyonAg77
AG
Never knew there was a fountain at the Grove. I remember the Grove.
ABATTBQ87
AG
Another memorial that needs to find it way to the Quad is the REVEILLE memorial T that is located inside of Kyle Field.

It once stood outside of the north endzone tunnel but when the horseshoe was removed to build the Zone it was moved.

http://bookreader.library.tamu.edu/book.php?id=yb1947&getbook=Go#page/n301/mode/2up/search/reveille

Talk about a memorial that no one sees or even knows the significance of. It is wasted inside of Kyle and would look great standing right outside of the arches as you enter the Quad.
Warrior 66
The only Reveille Memorial I am aware of is the grave site outside the north end of Kyle Field. Its still going to be there after all renovations are complete, with all 7 Reveilles buried there.

I marched through that tunnel at Kyle Field all 4 years I was at A&M, and I never remember a Reveille Memorial other than the grave site. Any pics of it or any idea where it was supposedly located?
CanyonAg77
AG
Wasn't it just outside the north horseshoe? Pink granite T, mounted at a 45 degree angle, about waist high.

It's amazing how much stuff one forgets over the years
CanyonAg77
AG

At the base of the right hand column in this photo. You weren't very observant, Joe.

And according to the old curmudgeon BeBopAg

http://texags.com/forums/5/topics/1957118/replies/28858263

quote:
Those north central Kyle tunnel "bronze wall plaques" (left and right) have mysteriously disappeared, as well as the 1929 top central outer
concrete facade with the name KYLE FIELD. (Note Bronze plaques fourth
photo above.)

Thanks Wally & Billy !

(The pink granite Block "T" disappeared until some serious inquiries were made. It's now
inside the North Zone where students are not permitted the freedom to
get near it. That Block "T" was financed largely by student nickles and
dimes in 1947-48. Betcha you don't know the inscription placed
thereupon.)

Thanks again, Wally & Billy !

The mid 1990's myth the old North Zone (horseshoe) was structurally unsound was
part of a propaganda campaign perpetrated to "sell the Zone" concept to
focus groups around the state.

Thanks again...revisionists !
ABATTBQ87
AG
quote:
The only Reveille Memorial I am aware of is the grave site outside the north end of Kyle Field. Its still going to be there after all renovations are complete, with all 7 Reveilles buried there.

I marched through that tunnel at Kyle Field all 4 years I was at A&M, and I never remember a Reveille Memorial other than the grave site. Any pics of it or any idea where it was supposedly located?
Just look at the link I posted from the 1947 Long Horn showing the dedication of the Reveille memorial T at the entrance of the north tunnel.
CanyonAg77
AG

ABATTBQ87
AG
Thanks Canyon for posting that page; how do you post pages from the old yearbooks?
CanyonAg77
AG
Firefox, right click and click "Copy Image Location". However, TexAgs won't automatically accept the format. So you have to go back to the old way. Hit the [BBCODE] link in your reply, paste the image location, then manually put in the {img} {/img} tags, though, of course, use brackets [ ] instead of { }
TwoMarksHand
AG
quote:
Thanks Canyon for posting that page; how do you post pages from the old yearbooks?
You can look through every single page of every single yearbook online through the Cushing library's website.
ABATTBQ87
AG
quote:
You can look through every single page of every single yearbook online through the Cushing library's website
Just look up the thread to where I posted the link to the 1947 LongHorn regarding the dedication of the memorial
huisachel
I think of your whole campus as a war memorial in honor of your alums who paid the price.

The finest memorial I have ever seen was on the back wall of the MSC where all your Medal of Honor awardees are honored. I don't know if it is still there because I have not been back in the years since it was remodeled but I used to take my sons there every time we went up for the Thanksgiving game.

The patriotism of your alums is a monument.
OldArmy71
AG
I remember the inscription (hope this is accurate):

Dedicated to the Fighting Aggies
By Mr. and Mrs. K. N. Drake
In Memory of their Son,
Kyle N. Drake, Jr.
Lieutenant, USMC
Who Died for Democracy on Iwo Jima
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.