Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

The Steepest Road in Texas

12,351 Views | 28 Replies | Last: 17 yr ago by beetlebum
Atty_Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
oof!

Course:
25 mile out and back (50 total), Terlingua to just outside Lajitas

Grade Average (%) Maximum (%)
Overall Grade 0.0 --
Ascent Grade 3.8 22.2
Descent Grade -3.1 -24.0
dave99ag
AG
So, were you man enough to ride it?
Atty_Ag
Got the data to prove it!

dave99ag
AG
Nice! Hitting 45mph is always fun, but something I try not to do very often these days.

Although isn't Jester Hill steeper? Just not as long of a climb.
CoolaidWade
AG
i thought it was that one in Austin with the sign that warmly says, "Trucks please use Low Gear"
Atty_Ag
Jester is about the same for steepness, but is shorter. This one was a mile, while Jester is about 3/4 of a mile. My Garmin said the max steepness was 22%. Any steeper and I would have fallen over backward. I've got the Google Earth .kml file if you want to see it.
dave99ag
AG
It looks like I'll be climbing this in May, but it won't be nearly as steep.

Atty_Ag
I am envious of your California trip. We will be hitting Big Bend for the foreseeable future. You should come with us later this year, maybe September. Take a week off, do Fort Davis in September, then head down to Big Bend for a week. We have a house to stay in and can host a bunch.
SpicewoodAg
AG
I took a protractor/level to Jester Blvd. a long time ago and measured it at 15% grade.

Just remember %grade is rise/run. 15% grade means it rises 15 feet over a 100 ft. horizontal distance.

I do not believe Texas allows public roads to built with more than a 15% grade except for special reasons. An entry to a subdivision would not be a special reason.
dave99ag
AG
One of these days I'll have to take you up on that offer. I have loads of vacation, but it takes a while for my wife to build up vacation time.
Atty_Ag
There's no King of Jester this year.

http://www.kingofjester.com/course.html

New Hampshire Ag
AG
I drove that road this summer from Terligua to Presidio. I remember thinking how bad it would hurt to bike it. I actually have the same pic you posted. It's beautiful out there.
KRegan00
Excellent!! Love the elevation/speed/HR graph. As expected, it is still funny to see mirror opposites on some of the climbs/speeds v. HR.

Hope y'all had a great vacation. More pics?
Ulrich
and my legs got tired biking around campus last semester...
Potcake
AG
The road adjacent to the Fort Lancaster site seems to be as steep if not steeper than Jester. It is SH 290 east of Sheffield.
Atty_Ag
I did Jester again this past Saturday for research purposes. It is only 20.6% grade.

SpicewoodAg
AG
Where is Jester on that chart?
Atty_Ag
Here you go Spicewood. (Yes, I was bored.)

Course: modified dam loop - 54 miles and change

620 -> 2222 -> Jester -> Lakewood -> 360 -> Mopac Bridge -> Southwest Parkway -> Barton Creek -> 2244 -> River Hills -> Cuernavaca -> 2244 -> 71 -> 620
SpicewoodAg
AG
Cool. Long time ago I climbed Jester with a 39/23 at about 5.5 MPH at lunchtime in the summer. When I reached the top of course I was toast and my lungs felt burned inside.
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia
AG
my profile picture was taken in that area, near the area they filmed the movie "Fandango". thinking about it now, that road would be a ***** to bike

----------------------------------------------------------
"You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity."
Atty_Ag
Atl
Yup, your profile shot is the same place. I've got the same picture of me up on that precipice.

Spicewood,
check out the record times:
http://www.kingofjester.com/results.html

Best I managed was 3:44, and I wanted to puke. Climbing is for small guys who weigh 140 pounds, not me.
SpicewoodAg
AG
Doing the math - if I averaged 5.5 MPH, it would have taken me about 5.4 minutes. I think now I averaged better than that because I did the bottom half (not much) faster. But I know the last 1/4 mile I was simply rocking the bike back and forth working to stay upright. So maybe I really averaged 6.5 MPH!
AgGrad99
AG
quote:
i thought it was that one in Austin with the sign that warmly says, "Trucks please use Low Gear"

FM 2222 (just between 360 and 620)
BQ2001
AG
Atty - what software are you using to get those elevation maps?
SpicewoodAg
AG
I think atty is downloading data from his GPS+heart rate monitor.

Jester is steeper than 2222.....
AgGrad99
AG
I don't doubt that it is...never gotten my protractor out.

Atty_Ag
BQ,
I am using my Garmin Forrunner 301 and the free version of Motionbased software from:
http://www.motionbased.com/

The hill on my map labeled Tumbleweed Hill is the big hill on 2222, going downhill. Jester is steeper, but highway 170 in the first map is steeper than Jester.
BQ2001
AG
Thanks. I just have the Training Center software right now and it doesn't have all that good stuff. Thanks.
AgGrad99
AG
Atty-
Yup, that's the one. I'm very familiar with that area. My father lives off 2222, near the hill.
beetlebum
...but I don't advise taking the 2222 hill. There is *NO* Bike lane or anywhere for a cyclist to go.
I drive up and down that sucker every day and worry for the cyclist.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.