Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Colonoscopy

6,588 Views | 52 Replies | Last: 24 days ago by agz win
BQ2001
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My mom was diagnosed with colon cancer in her early 50s that was caught early by an early screening. I was always a little nervous about the whole process, just because of the prep horror stories you hear. I just turned 45 so I figured it was time. It was very easy to go through the prep (minus some lack of sleep) and the whole process in the office was so fast and painless. If you are of a certain age, don't worry about it at all and just get it done. It's a day out of your life every 10 or so years and can save your life. Mine is all clear but it's a big peace of mind to be done with it.
OutdoorAg
AG
100% Had mine done a couple of months ago, and it was super easy. The day before isn't fun, but it isn't bad either. I drank so much liquids, that I wasn't really that hungry anyway. Needless to say, when I left the hospital, we made a stop at Whataburger on the way home.
AggieOO
how long did it take for you guys to get in to see someone? As a new patient everywhere I look, I can't get in until september.
BQ2001
AG
My Dr ordered it at my physical in March and they were calling to schedule me the next week. I booked June about a month ago when my wife was done teaching for the summer and could drive me home.
AggieOO
i guess i'll try the referral route instead of just scheduling myself.
hillcountryag86
AG
Absolutely ridiculous for anyone to avoid this! It is the ONLY test which can prevent cancer!

The prep is not bad. I go in the morning, never feel a thing, wake up and go to breakfast. No big deal.

Last one had 17 growths and 5 were pre cancerous. Dr said those 5 would have developed into cancer! But I'm fine.

Good grief, this easy test saves lives!!
Absolute
AG
Going for another on Monday.

Started in my early Forties. Everyone should get checked. Don't like the prep much, but it isn't that bad.
MouthBQ98
AG
Right now they start with the fecal sample testing unless you have a history that required more. At some point 50+, they do a scope.
Bogey1996
Yes, definitely get it done. To me the worst part is right before they give the results and the quick flash of oh crap what if I have cancer. I'm with hillcountry though, they found pre-cancerous which could have developed if they didn't remove them. Now they have me up for more visits on regular schedule. I'm fine with that if it prevents cancer from developing or at least catching it sooner.
Moral High Horse
My prepped was awful. Gonna ask for an alternative next time. Procedure was cake though. Had issues waking up and very groggy after.
DeepintheHeart06
AG
Sorry but incorrect. New guidelines start screening at age 45 for all individuals. If you have another condition or family history of colon cancer then you may start even earlier.

You can screen with a colonoscopy or a Cologuard stool test.
Stool testing is every year and if abnormal results in a colonoscopy. A colonoscopy is only every 10 years unless concerning polyps are found.

I think most GI feel rather strongly that Colonoscopy is the way to go. But stool testing is easier for primary care to order/arrange and plenty of patients have a stigma/fear of colonoscopy. But I think the important thing is to get screened. Colon cancer at younger ages is rapidly rising and early detection can be a lifesaver, literally.
iwarnedyou96
AG
I had one today. Small polyp removed. No other concerns. No worries for another five years.
Guitarsoup
AG
https://www.mdanderson.org/prevention-screening/get-screened/colorectal-cancer-screening.html

FYI you can have your colonoscopy done at MD Anderson. I need to schedule mine. I get my skin screenings there every year.
dcbowers
AG
1. Definitely get it done. It could literally save your life.
2. The prep isn't that bad.
3. Propofol is a great drug.
4. See #1 above.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
double aught
AG
Coming down off that propofol feels great.
Disco Stu
AG
Taking the pills for the prep is the way to go.
Geriatric Punk
AG
I've got mine scheduled for the end of July. What's the day like after the procedure? Am I going to just be a space cadet, or can you actually function?
Life's an endless party, not a punch card.
BQ2001
AG
I was totally fine about 4 hours later (once I ate), little tired from lack of sleep the night before though. Today I'm 100% how I usually feel.
dcbowers
AG
For those of you complaining about the long wait to get your colonoscopy scheduled, be willing to accept a cancellation appointment (as you might imagine, people cancel their colonoscopies all the time).

I was initially scheduled 2 months out. I told them that I would accept a cancellation appointment, and they called me back with an appointment in 5 days.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Moral High Horse
Long wait? Those folks were dying to stick stuff in my butt. I think the whole deal was scheduled in a few weeks, at most.
MarkW91
100% do it. I had stage three rectal cancer at 46. Luckily discovered due to blood from the backside. Thank God. All good now. Couldn't do colonoscopy before 50 back then but now it's at 45 - absent the blood would've been in deep trouble. Not so now since they lowered the testing age. So now after successful treatment, I get colonoscopies periodically. It's not horrible and it's the best prevention. And these types of cancer are more common now, so it's definitely worth it.
hillcountryag86
AG
Geriatric Punk said:

I've got mine scheduled for the end of July. What's the day like after the procedure? Am I going to just be a space cadet, or can you actually function?
Due to family history and number of growths, I've had several. Always schedule for first thing in the morning. I've always walked out and gone to breakfast, then to work. I've never had any side effects, sleepiness -- nothing.
hph6203
AG
Been doing chemo for the last 4 months for stage 2 rectal cancer, have another month and a half of radiation + chemo. Colonoscopy isn't bad unless they tell you that you have cancer, which is better than having cancer and not knowing it.
Moral High Horse
hph6203 said:

Been doing chemo for the last 4 months for stage 2 rectal cancer, have another month and a half of radiation + chemo. Colonoscopy isn't bad unless they tell you that you have cancer, which is better than having cancer and not knowing it.

I'd take a bad prep experience over cancer. Good luck man
1988PA-Aggie
My wife recently had one last week. The prep is a necessary evil. She had a liquid prep which she said was awful tasting.

The problem is she has a pretty slow system. She had told the doctor that in advance. They said to start the prep at 5pm the afternoon before, but she had an early scope the next day. Unfortunately it wasn't 'clean' enough and she has to do it again. She is not happy. The patient next to her at some point said did the prep via pills. Anyone have good results with pill form prep?
hph6203
AG
That is how I did mine. Very easy. 6 pills, drink a couple of quarts of water, another 6 pills, more water.

ETA: They are big pills. Maybe a little bigger than fish oil, so if you aren't good with large pills it might be a problem.
Geriatric Punk
AG
Thanks, yall.
Life's an endless party, not a punch card.
Matsui
AG
anyone have any recs for ft worth area? i'm thru baylor s&w ideally
Joan Wilder
AG
One of the keys to a good prep experience (both for you and quality of exam) is a liquid diet the day before your procedure. Chill the prep drink and just chug it.
BQ2001
AG
I did the pills. You take one every 5 minutes over an hour then water after. My prep also had you take 2 laxative tabs before the first round and then GasX after to help with the bloating. Pills are big though as mentioned but not overly bad IMO
Absolute
AG
Had mine today.

For the first time ever I did not get an appointment first thing in the morning. Noon appointment.
The noon appointment was much better than the early one. Due to timing of the preps, took the first around 7. The eruption effects end in a couple hours and the second prep was at 5am. That allowed me to actually get semi normal sleep and not get up at 1 or 2 for the second. Oh and you get a light breakfast the day before.

Have had this done enough times now that I don't really mind the fasting part. Have learned to eat lightly two days before and then drink a ton of water the day of prep. Was drinking a bunch of water right up until the 7am cutoff.

Really was the easiest go of this procedure I can remember. Only downside I see is it actually wastes the whole day of the procedure. Thought I did a little office work before.

Just thought I would share as I would have kept requesting early appointments before experiencing this time.
Prexys Moon
AG
dcbowers said:

1. Definitely get it done. It could literally save your life.
2. The prep isn't that bad.
3. Propofol is a great drug.
4. See #1 above.
amen to 3. Felt like I had slept for a month. Never felt so rested. I can see how people get hooked on it.

Just had mine, had one little polyp, have to go back in 5 years. If I had to go back every year I would. the prep was no big deal, wake up totally rested, get a cold dr pepper with a straw from the nurse, then go eat a big breakfast.
GrayMatter
AG
I had been putting this off for a couple of years now on advice from my primary doc.

I have my follow-up scheduled for tomorrow; they only found one that I know of so we'll see.

Was given 3 options for the prep and took the pills route. I really didn't feel like eating when taking the pills and just drank all the necessary water.

In the end, it wasn't a big deal but glad to get it done.
maroonpivo
AG
Lost my BIL at the age of 31 to colon cancer. Take care of yourself and get checked!
Livetosmoke
Right now they start with the fecal sample testing unless you have a history that required more. At some point 50+, they do a scope.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.