Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Colonoscopy

6,688 Views | 52 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by agz win
jwoodmd
How long do you want to ignore this user?
MouthBQ98 said:

Right now they start with the fecal sample testing unless you have a history that required more. At some point 50+, they do a scope.
45 is now the accepted starting age to scope.
jwoodmd
Livetosmoke said:

Right now they start with the fecal sample testing unless you have a history that required more. At some point 50+, they do a scope.
Bizarre verbatim post (see above)
Average Joe
AG
I got diagnosed with Crohn's at 25. I'm 39 now, so I've had a few colonoscopies in the last 14 years.

The prep used to be worse with the liquid prep, but I've done the pills the last handful of times. Much better. I find myself not being as bothered about a liquid diet with the pills more than the drink prep. Also, bone broth is a life saver. It always makes me feel full after one of the cups you heat up.

Oh, and I always try to count as high as I can when they give me the good stuff. I can usually get to around 12 or so before I'm out.
MouthBQ98
AG
Yeah, that is weird. Like some bot copied and posted my post.
jwoodmd
Got mine done yesterday. Now, everyone needing one go do your's. It really is simple and can save your life and prevent an unbelievably unpleasant illness and/or death.

As said above:
1) prep is not bad just annoying
2) propofol is a great drug. The anesthesiologist, a friend in this case, gave me a fist bump, said let's do it and I remember nothing else but waking up in recovery.
GrayMatter
AG
Thanks everyone for the encouragement to get it done. I finally decided to get it over with after reading some of your posts.

I'm happy to say that the doc told me to see him in another 10 years. The polyp that he found was non-precancerous.

It's inconvenient, but as I'm finding out, so much worth it.

BTHO Cancer
RightWingConspirator
AG
I've had it done twice. The prep is not a big deal and is way overblown in my opinion, which is not meant to diminish outlier cases of unpleasant prep. No polyps or cancer in my case and am now on a once every 10 years routine.
Hearne_Ag
AG
I had one two years ago at age 26 no regrets here and glad I did it.
Geriatric Punk
AG
Prep Day today. Sucks we have a fridge full of leftovers from our party this past weekend. Starving already and it's not even noon.
Life's an endless party, not a punch card.
Marco from Tropoja
good luck
DannyDuberstein
AG
Had my first a few weeks ago. Age 50. Pill prep which was fine, although the 1st bottle of 12 did the job so the 2nd bottle 7 hours later seemed like spiking the football. Pounding down that many pills on an empty stomach did make me somewhat nauseated, so the 2nd bottle went slower. But it had to beat liquid prep. On the bright side, the hunger I felt from not eating all day went away due to all the pills and water.

Good news was nothing removed at all so got a 10 year pass.
Geriatric Punk
AG
For those about to go through with it:

1. Prep day sucks. You'll be hungry. If you do the liquid prep, get ready to be on the toilet for 3.5 to 4 hours after each half.
2. Buy some Charmin with aloe. Helps.
3. Drink a ton of fluids. You are intentionally dehydrating your colon.
4. It doesn't last forever. The first meal afterward is glorious.

DannyDuberstein
AG
At first I thought my friend (who had one last year) describing it as "you'll be pissing out of your butthole" was a bit of a joke wrapped in a lot of truth. But then I learned that was possibly the most accurately he'd ever described something.

On the bright side, once you hit that level of the cleanse, it's actually easier.
Geriatric Punk
AG
@$$ pissing is definitely accurate.
Jack Boyett
AG
Prep was not that bad. I was worried I wasn't going to be ready. Things didn't start moving until about 4 hours before procedure.
aggiebrad94
AG
Quote:

2) propofol is a great drug. The anesthesiologist, a friend in this case, gave me a fist bump, said let's do it and I remember nothing else but waking up in recovery.

Some nights when I can't get to sleep, I try to re-enact the last few seconds of the the Doc pushing the plunger and me saying, "Good bye." That was such a glorious feeling.
BQ2001
AG
aggiebrad94 said:

Quote:

Some nights when I can't get to sleep, I try to re-enact the last few seconds of the the Doc pushing the plunger and me saying, "Good bye." That was such a glorious feeling.
On mine I am pretty sure I said "there it is" and was out. I think the plunger to lights out was 5 seconds.
agz win
AG
Prepping for tomorrow plus upper scope. Stomach so bloated, nurse agreed I could skip round 4 of the prep drinks. Damn good nurse.

Aaand just threw it all up over myself. I'm working the nurses hard.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.