Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

The No Dumb Questions Thread

6,140 Views | 64 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Ragoo
Ragoo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I am looking to start budgeting for a new bike - road or TT?

I only ZWIFT and race triathlons. So most miles will be on a trainer. I would like to get rollers and a computer to train more high cadence spinning. But ultimately I want to race IM and IM70.3 yearly with sprints mixed in for fun.

I want a canyon bike. Bang for the buck I am leaning Speedmax.
bert harbinson
AG
I never race with headphones, I want to fully experience the race atmosphere and sometimes talk to other runners. I know people who never race without music. Either way is fine, just be sensible about it.
texasaggie2015
AG
For those who deal with depression- what are some ways you've learned to "snap out of it" when you're having "one of those days"?

Hopefully that makes sense. Kinda been in a funk lately and it's had a negative effect with my confidence and outlook on things. Hoping someone on here has been through something similar and can share ways to help push through it.
CC09LawAg
If it isn't anything too overwhelming, I usually try to take time to reset. Even if it is just taking one day off of work to be home by myself with no kids, wife, or "must do" things, just a total day to myself.

If it is more serious and long term, and you aren't already, diet and exercise. Since I made both a consistent part of my routine, I have pretty much gotten to where I don't have bad days anymore.

Diet doesn't mean "starve yourself". Diet just means watch what you eat and avoid processed junk. For me, diet includes abstaining from alcohol completely. Once I ditched that 332 days ago, literally everything about my life has improved immeasurably. Exercise started as simple as a 30 minute walk every day, nonnegotiable, whether at 5 AM or 11 PM depending on what my schedule allowed.

It's gotten to where I am actually more miserable on the days I eat bad or don't exercise. It's like my life did a total 180 and it started with very small habits.
texasaggie2015
AG
Diet is definitely something I need to be better about. Thanks for that.
CC09LawAg
No problem! It's honestly amazing to me how I will go eat a meal I used to eat to "treat myself" and feel absolutely awful afterwards. Then I think to myself, "Is that how I felt all of the time, but it was just my normal so I had no way of knowing any different?"

Don't get me wrong, I still indulge sometimes lol. But I definitely don't experience some euphoria that my brain convinces me I will feel. Maybe one day I will learn!
Ragoo
AG
What is something you enjoy doing no matter what your day is like? Example: when you are having a bad day do you ever find yourself wishing you could be doing [blank] instead?

Find that thing and then make time to do it.
TXTransplant
Lots of good advice in the posts above mine.

Personally, I try not to give into the temptation to just stay in bed and sulk. Even if you don't go to work, try to stick to the rest of your normal routine, get outside, do some physical activity, etc, or take a day to do something you really enjoy.

As mentioned above, avoid all alcohol. It will only amplify negative emotions.

Try to laugh. Think about the things that are going well and that I'm grateful for. Physical connection with your SO and/or kids. Volunteering to help others (food bank, Habitat, etc) is another activity that I've found helpful.

And this one might sound weird, but sometimes I like to listen to podcasts that talk about other people's struggles or tragedies. My favorite is Terrible, Thanks for Asking. I like this one because even though the featured guests have been through some really awful stuff, they all seem to have a positive outlook on life. As with all podcasts, some episodes are much better than others.
texasaggie2015
AG
Thanks for the pointers.

Unfortunately, no SO or kids. 30 years old and single. Most of my friends have settled down and moved elsewhere. That's a big part of it I think… I tend to feel stuck and isolated. But I'm not trying to get sympathy by any means.

Thanks to all who have given great advice. I hesitate sometimes to ask because I don't want to sound like those people who want others to feel sorry for them.
CC09LawAg
I was in your shoes - coming up on 30, single, no kids, thought I was miserable because I was "stuck". Got married to a great girl, had kids. That would temporarily fix my problems but even once I had what I thought would "fix" it, it was always temporary and fleeting and just out of my grasp.

It wasn't until I took control and made the choice to fix my own **** that I really kicked the depression and anxiety. I'm only a year in so I won't act like I'm some wild success story, but just saying really take a good honest look at yourself and how you live your life and what is contributing to how you feel. It's easy to look to external factors as the source or solution, but I've found that generally that is your mind playing tricks on you to avoid facing the real problem.

Don't be afraid to go see someone to talk either. That really helped me kick start the process. I don't go anymore but it was a good resource for 6 months or so.
TXTransplant
I know you don't want sympathy, but I will give you empathy. I'm 44 and have been single most of my adult life. I managed to find someone long enough to get pregnant and have a kid, but having that relationship fail brought a whole other set of issues.

So, I can relate to the loneliness, and it's freaking hard. And what I've learned that, as a general rule, people are not good at knowing how to help or comfort someone who is going through a tough time but isn't a total train wreck. If you look ok on the outside most of the time, people often won't ask how you're doing or notice that you're going through a rough patch, which kind of makes you want to isolate more.

Anyway, I agree with the poster above. A relationship won't solve all of your problems. I finally did meet a great guy, and I still have other crap in my life to deal with.

But I realized not too long ago that physical connection and touch is a huge thing. A friend gave me a hug when I was in the middle of a difficult time, and I nearly burst into tears because I was so starved for that. So, if you are struggling and do have someone in your life, don't push them away from a physical standpoint. There is a lot of comfort and healing that just being physically close to someone can bring (in case anyone is wondering, this is not a a thinly veiled reference to one night stands).

But if you are single/alone, my best advice is don't put off things you want to do because you're waiting until you find "the one" or get married or have kids. Do those things now (and then do them again when you have a family). I really enjoy travel but didn't do it for a long time because I felt self-conscious doing it alone - until I finally took a solo trip. It was big for me to move forward with my life and do things that I wanted to do but didn't think I could or should do as a single person.

And therapy is great. Again, it won't solve your problems, but it does help with self-reflection, setting boundaries, and understanding what you can and can't control.
texasaggie2015
AG
Thanks to both of you. It's funny… most of what y'all said are things I already know, but certainly things I needed to hear from someone else if that makes sense.

Again, I appreciate all the advice.
TurboVelo
AG
Ragoo said:

I am looking to start budgeting for a new bike - road or TT?

I only ZWIFT and race triathlons. So most miles will be on a trainer. I would like to get rollers and a computer to train more high cadence spinning. But ultimately I want to race IM and IM70.3 yearly with sprints mixed in for fun.

I want a canyon bike. Bang for the buck I am leaning Speedmax.
You're definitely going to want a tri specific bike since you already have tri specific goals. Plus, using the tri position on the trainer will better prepare you for the long times in that position during an IM and 70.3.

As a Trackie, I'm a big fan of cadence work. Getting a power meter would be extremely helpful.
K Bo
AG
I can't add much more than has already been stated in this thread but I wanted to add a recommended podcast to help - The Hilarious World of Depression. Unfortunately it's not produced anymore but they're all great and helped me feel less bad about feeling bad, if even momentarily.

@texasaggie2015, I have battled depression my entire life and continue to do so. I am 40 in June, on my 2nd marriage, and have no kids. I am currently stuck in a negative thought loop and trying to power my way through it. I am 42 days without alcohol, exercise almost everyday, see a psychologist and psychiatrist, and am on anti-depressants (geez, that sounds like a lot when I write it out). I am reconnecting with things that brought me joy when I was younger like playing baseball and guitar. I don't know if any of this is working, but it's providing distractions while the time passes. Sometimes, I think the only thing that can help is time to experience the bad thoughts and feelings, let them pass, and make room for the good ones.

"a smooth sea never made a skilled sailor" - FDR
texasaggie2015
AG
I appreciate that. I did start playing competitive baseball again last fall and that helped tremendously. Unfortunately, I couldn't play this spring due to other commitments, but I'll pick it back up again.

I need to find ways to get involved and meet people. Community has always been important to me. Being around people has always "charged my battery" so to speak.
CC09LawAg
That is funny, because I am the total opposite - being around people is what usually drains me.

Just goes to show that there won't be a one size fits all approach, so don't get discouraged if something works for someone else that doesn't necessarily work for you. It took me years of trial and error and false starts to finally find a routine that worked for me.
texasaggie2015
AG
Haha I hear you. I'm a pretty social person. I definitely need my "me time" as well, but I get a lot of joy and energy from being around people.
BlackGoldAg2011
AG
Ok I'll bite. My noon question is what is a reasonable time frame to get to a combined big 3 lift weight of 750 lbs? For background, I have done zero strength training since 2017, and just started again in January. I'm trying to get some strength since I tore a quad last summer and would like to get it back to running shape and prevent future injuries. I tested myself this week for a pseudo starting point and had 110 bench, 180 deadlift, and 160 squat. I like to have goals and with 450 starting weight wanted to set a realistic goal for the end of the year. I like the sound of 750 but have no basis for what is actually realistic. I'm 34, male, and currently weigh 175.
CC09LawAg
I did it in less than a year with Stronglifts programming. Started with either the bar or 65 pounds on my lifts.

Got to 225 bench, 275 squat, 315 deadlift after about 8ish months. Those are each for 5 reps, I haven't tested my 1RM.

You can do it in 6, I believe in you!

ETA: I used this link and made my goals the "intermediate" strength levels based on age/weight: https://strengthlevel.com/strength-standards/bench-press/lb
DannyDuberstein
AG
CC09LawAg said:

That is funny, because I am the total opposite - being around people is what usually drains me.

Just goes to show that there won't be a one size fits all approach, so don't get discouraged if something works for someone else that doesn't necessarily work for you. It took me years of trial and error and false starts to finally find a routine that worked for me.

Good insight here. We are all different. One of the fundamental aspects that defines an introvert vs an extrovert isn't whether we are more quiet or gregarious when around others. It's internal and best defined by how we recharge our energy - introverts need that alone time to recharge while extroverts recharge by being around others.
MaroonFF
AG
Is it normal to fill out and gain a few pounds in late 20s/ early 30s, even while actively running/ exercising?
CC09LawAg
MaroonFF said:

Is it normal to fill out and gain a few pounds in late 20s/ early 30s, even while actively running/ exercising?

What is "a few"? If you weigh 200 and are 6'2 and are at 205, meh. But weighing 120 and adding 5 pounds is a little different percentage wise…
MaroonFF
AG
170-180/185 and not noticing much difference in stomach
CC09LawAg
I personally wouldn't worry too much about that unless it sticks around for awhile. I'm 220 and move around from 218 to 222 pretty consistently. I can jump up to 225 from a couple of off days but fall back into my usual range without major diet changes, mostly just water weight I guess.
DannyDuberstein
AG
MaroonFF said:

The challenge is that about 80% of what is happening is all diet based. And the watch-out entering the 30s is the 2-3 pound gain per year where it doesn't seem like much year to year. You're thinking you're exercising, you're not eating differently than when you were younger and thin, and it's not like you are noticeably blowing up. But it sneaks up on people. Then decade later, hello overweight/obese person. By 40 they are clocking in 30 pounds heavier and at 50 clocking in 50-60 pounds heavier. So those calories in (and making them healthier calories) is the key
AgLiving06
So with all the nutrition and vitamin talk, I have a question.

I see people posting on social media about getting IV treatments for various ailments.

Any actual benefit to IV's? I see it for illness, hangovers, immunity, recovery, etc.

Seems the claim is that by going directly into the blood, it increases the absorption rate.
True Anomaly
AG
AgLiving06 said:

So with all the nutrition and vitamin talk, I have a question.

I see people posting on social media about getting IV treatments for various ailments.

Any actual benefit to IV's? I see it for illness, hangovers, immunity, recovery, etc.

Seems the claim is that by going directly into the blood, it increases the absorption rate.
The benefit is it's a faster form of hydration. So of course it'll make you feel better.

But claims about superior health because you're getting an IV? I bet there is very little evidence that there's a true objective difference (outside of having an actual medical problem that will ONLY benefit from getting IV hydration)

ptothemo
AG
I was having a conversation a few days ago about bike pedals - specifically flat versus clipless. I was told that using clipless makes one more likely to use their glutes and hamstrings where flat means more usage and strain on the quads. The person said something about the pedal stroke between the two options being different leading to the muscle recruitment. That was the first time that I had heard anything like that, and it wasn't the time and place to really question or dig into it.

I googled it and found some support for the idea but nothing overly substantial. So, is this actually a thing? Or more of a theory that maybe doesn't have empirical evidence or support?
pinkdog
https://hal-insep.archives-ouvertes.fr/hal-01839025/document

This is a review article of the research that's been done as of 2018. So admittedly not a ton of research has been done on it. That does not mean there is not a difference between standard pedals and clipless, just that it does not have a lot of published information on it. Read section 4.3 which would most directly answer your question. It does actually (in the limited research) show there is no significant difference regarding hamstrings and glutes, although there is more activity of rectus femoris, biceps femoris and tibialis anterior. And less activity of vastus med., vastus lat., and soleus.
Bottom line, altering a variable like flat/clipless is bound to change some muscle recruitment dynamics but to what degree and is it overall more efficient, we don't know. I think I did read a study once indicating clipless pedals are more efficient during sprinting as the anchored in foot allowed increased force on the downstroke (not the whole upstroke theory thing) but I could not find that article.
Edit: I realize biceps femoris is a hamstring. For some reason in this article they are saying hamstrings as in semitendinosis and semimembranosis not affected. Which I think is confusing. But I guess the bottom line is no SIGNIFICANT effect on hamstrings.
Ragoo
AG
I think the reasoning is some transfer of power on the upstroke too. Not only a push down but a pull up as well.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.