Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

The No Dumb Questions Thread

6,118 Views | 64 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Ragoo
AggieOO
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Was listening to a podcast on my run and they were talking about answering questions that people were scared to ask. So maybe this thread will be a massive failure and no one will use it, but creating a safe space to ask questions. Maybe you are beginner at an activity? Or maybe you've been doing something a long time and were to scared to ask "why" about a certain topic. We have a wealth of collective knowledge across almost any activity you could think of, so why not?

I remember when I started cycling 20ish years ago, I had no idea if I was supposed to wear underwear under my bike shorts, and I was too afraid to ask. Many times we get so use to our activities and jargon around them that we assume everyone knows. I was asked the other day what I meant by a "technical course" when I was talking to a non-runner about my ultra running. Hell, I've been mountain biking for about 8 or 9 years now, but only moved to tubeless setup and a dropper post a couple years ago. I had to ask some very "beginner" type questions to a friend, even though I'd been on a mountain bike for a somewhat decent amount of time prior to that.

So here it is, ask away!
bam02
AG
I don't know. I ask dumb questions all the time on Texags. But this is probably a good idea!
wessimo
AG
So do you still wear underwear under your bike shorts?
AggieOO
wessimo said:

So do you still wear underwear under your bike shorts?

Of course!
ptothemo
AG
This is a great idea, and I'm really happy it's getting going. I feel like I have asked my share of no dumb questions over the years and gained so much knowledge from this board.

My no dumb question right now is how to handle the bike situation for an out of town triathlon where one is flying to get there. For some context, it's for a non-competitive sprint tri in Nashville when Houston is home. Is it feasible or reasonable to rent a bike? If not, do you ship it? What would be the ballpark costs for those options?

Realizing fit and being on a decent bike is important, I am trying to help explore options and figure out what the options may be financially and logistically.
AggieOO
Does the race utilize a bike transport service?

If not, another good route is talking to your local bike shop. Many will pack your bike up ship it to a shop where the race is. Second shop can reassemble. Do the reverse after the race. No idea what the going rate is. I've been out of the triathlon game for quite a few years.
wcb
AG

Quote:

it's for a non-competitive sprint tri
I'd rent in a heartbeat.

If you decide to try and do it yourself and are in DFW I have a Ruster Hen House bike case you're free to use.

94chem
I'll add a piece of advice. David Archy rayon/bamboo underwear from Amazon. Forget lined shorts for long distance running. Get good underwear instead. Good doesn't mean expensive.
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
Ragoo
AG
Best way to increase cycling power?
Swarely
Definitely would rent. I had amazing experiences renting for the NYC and Escape from Alcatraz. It's just one less thing to worry about. The peace of mind alone is worth it imho.

If you go that route, remember to bring your own pedals.
htxag09
AG
I wish cycling was more of a thing in the US and wasn't a life and death experience every time you went out. When we vacationed in Sydney I rented a bike from Livelo and it was an awesome experience. When booking I sent them the measurements of my bike and they adjusted it all accordingly and had the bike waiting for me at the hotel. Including things like telling them what cleats I had and the right pedals were on the bike, what GPS I had and the right mount was installed, etc.

They even sent me some files for my Garmin of pre-mapped routes so I was able to just follow the turn by turn directions.

wcb
AG
Ragoo said:

I went from 180 to 250 putting TrainerRoad on repeat. Back then I was using a Sufferfest 4 week plan PUTU tipped me off to. It was good for +10 watts / month. But I would expect any of their Build plans can accomplish the same thing.
P.U.T.U
AG
wcb said:

Ragoo said:

I went from 180 to 250 putting TrainerRoad on repeat. Back then I was using a Sufferfest 4 week plan PUTU tipped me off to. It was good for +10 watts / month. But I would expect any of their Build plans can accomplish the same thing.
Trainerroad does have some plans specific for it. I have been out of the triathlon game for a few years but intervals help if you are on the trainer.

When I did most of my training on the road what helped me was riding with riders more powerful than me. Had a Brit friend that was used to riding hills and outweighed me by 40 pounds smoke me. For a while I rode with several guys that qualified for Kona that also helped, plus they made sure you made every ride even if they had to come get you
P.U.T.U
AG
Non-competitive sprint? Rent in a heartbeat. Go get it adjusted for you or give them your specs ahead of time if you feel like you need to be fitted. Heck, I thought it was fun to grab a random bike and see what I could do without a top of the line bike.
TXTransplant
This may be a little outside the original intent of the thread, but I'll ask it anyway.

Is anyone else out there overwhelmed and annoyed by the amount of "health and wellness" information out there that is also tied to buying really expensive tests and/or supplements? In particular from the "functional medicine" community (that usually also trashes conventional medicine).

I'm mid-life, have gotten my weight/diet under control, and exercise regularly. So, at this point, I'm really looking to optimize my health, hopefully delay the most annoying effects of aging, and maybe even prevent or catch serious illness early.

Problem is, there are very few sources that I've found that I trust on this. I have read the book Estrogen Matters, and that was a huge eye opener. And I like The Huberman Lab podcast, but I've been making my way through the new one about female hormones, and even that expert has me rolling my eyes.

I'm just sick of hearing the terms "inflammation", "toxicity", "detox", "biohacking", "food sensitivity", "leaky gut", and others used in ways that just don't make scientific sense to me. Often, I feel the "experts" are just throwing these terms around to scare people into buying expensive tests and supplements (or their latest book).

Part of me thinks just keeping my weight and routine lab numbers in check is the answer, but the overachiever in me wants to know if I'm missing something. But wading through the massive amounts of information out there - most of it quite cringe-worthy - just ends up frustrating me. Being healthy shouldn't be expensive, but SO many of the podcasts I've listened to are pushing constant glucose monitoring, extensive blood work, and "concierge" medicine.

Anyone have sources out there that they trust that don't give off total snake-oil salesman vibes?
wcb
AG

Quote:

Part of me thinks just keeping my weight and routine lab numbers in check is the answer

I'm more and more convinced that's it
htxag09
AG
wcb said:

Quote:

Part of me thinks just keeping my weight and routine lab numbers in check is the answer

I'm more and more convinced that's it
This is where I am as well. First, a lot of funding for research comes from biased sources. Second, the fact is we're learning a lot and what they are saying could be inaccurate even if they do have the best intentions in mind and no bias. Food pyramid anyone?
TXTransplant
I'm going to agree there is a lot of bad research (or badly interpreted) out there, but I think these "functional medicine" practitioners are making it worse.

If I had a dollar for every time I heard someone say that artificial sweeteners cause cancer in humans. There is no data that supports that.

And the myth that estrogen causes breast cancer. That one has been thoroughly debunked, but it still persists. Don't get me started on the "bio-identical" hormone debate.

And then there is the push to eat all "organic" or "natural" foods.

My BF (who wants to lose about 100 lbs) we were having this discussion last night. He was talking about this guy promoting "heathy keto" - which evidently this guy defined as all organic and grass-fed foods.

I told him I'll support whatever eating plan he wants to do (and that he thinks he can sustain) but it's about calories in vs calories burned. I told him he can lose weight eating keto, "healthy" keto, or the Twinkie diet if he just burns more energy than he consumes. Now, I'm not arguing that the Twinkie diet is a good choice, only that there is no "magic bullet" like some of these charlatans would like us to believe.

Then I go back to my own situation and still wonder if there is "more" I can be doing. I had a friend who is BIG into functional medicine (she sells supplements) who looked at my lab results. My A1C was 5.1, but she tells me "optimum" is now <5. I can't find ANYTHING to support this. I think her company also sells glucose monitors.

I am super interested in slowing the aging process and possibly preventing things like Alzheimer's. But I just can't get past all the shilling and scare tactics.

Big Cat `93
AG
The questions I have:

1. Do these "physicians" publish?
2. If so, do their articles have financial disclosure statements?
3. If so, are they funded by the companies making the products they promote?

Two and three are issues with research of just about everything these days.
Hoosegow
Back when I first seriously got into weight lifting, I fell for a lot of crap. I tried just about every new supplement out there to try and maximize the results from my efforts. Gomez (old TexAg poster) challenged me to look at the supplements, break down the ingredients and look for peer reviewed papers that supported any claims. The more research I did, the more I realized that supplements were crap. What I learned was that nothing replaces a good diet and hard work (though steroids DO work and are not the bugaboo they are made out to be). Basically, everyone is selling a promise to see massive results with minimal effort.

What you are seeing is no different. My disdain for the medical profession, i don't keep secret. It is all about making money. Staying healthy is no secret. Good diet and exercise. It is hard work and not much fun. Most people don't want to hear that. They want to know they can buy a pill, drink a supplement, etc and that is all they have to do.

Now I'm all for living a long life as long as quality is good, but I know I'm going to die. I've obsessed over getting stronger to the point where I wouldn't go on a vacation because there wouldn't be a good place to squat. I'm not that guy anymore. You are going to die too so I wouldn't obsess about my health. Be concerned, take care of yourself, but don't obsess on trying every little thing (unless you have the time and money and just want to).

You are on this forum a lot. You know all of this. Hell you probably know more about diet and exercise than your health care provider. All they know is how to push drugs, tests and procedures that make them money. Follow your gut and your instincts. Do your research. Understand the only motivation of those that are pimping this crap - to make money.
TXTransplant
Part of my brain knows you're right. But the other part (maybe the scientist in me) has an interest in the cutting-edge stuff. Especially when it comes to hormones and aging.

Problem is, when I want to go on a deep dive, most of what I find is the garbage you describe.

And even with scientific publications, my experience in higher ed tells me that people publish for all the wrong reasons. It's about numbers, not quality. So, I'm even careful when I look at the peer-reviewed stuff. It's certainly better than a blog, and there is a hierarchy in the journal literature (some are more reliable than others), but no publication is without mistakes and retractions.

My biggest thing the past few years was just getting the data. I had to switch to a concierge-type practitioner to have a serious conversation about hormones. My annual exam, insurance-covered, big hospital system provider flat out said that's not what they do.

But I also know there is such a thing as too much data, and if you don't know how to properly interpret it, it's just noise.

I just find it interesting that many of the functional medicine doctors are doing exactly what they criticize "mainstream medicine" for - unnecessary tests, mis-diagnosis, and over-prescription of meds (or "supplements"). The difference is, none of the functional stuff is covered by insurance.

I guess where I am is maybe it's so much simpler than the "experts" want us to believe, assuming you can stick to a decent regimen of exercise and eat healthy most of the time.

Also, is everyone now sick with these vague, ill-defined maladies? I legit know some people with cancer, but the majority of people I know claim they are sick with "chronic fatigue", "brain fog", "leaky gut", "inflammation", and all the other buzz words I listed above.

Is it now fashionable to have one of these trendy diagnoses and spend thousands of dollars on supplements and IV drips and detox regimens?

Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag
TXTransplant said:

This may be a little outside the original intent of the thread, but I'll ask it anyway.

Is anyone else out there overwhelmed and annoyed by the amount of "health and wellness" information out there that is also tied to buying really expensive tests and/or supplements? In particular from the "functional medicine" community (that usually also trashes conventional medicine).

I'm mid-life, have gotten my weight/diet under control, and exercise regularly. So, at this point, I'm really looking to optimize my health, hopefully delay the most annoying effects of aging, and maybe even prevent or catch serious illness early.

Problem is, there are very few sources that I've found that I trust on this. I have read the book Estrogen Matters, and that was a huge eye opener. And I like The Huberman Lab podcast, but I've been making my way through the new one about female hormones, and even that expert has me rolling my eyes.

I'm just sick of hearing the terms "inflammation", "toxicity", "detox", "biohacking", "food sensitivity", "leaky gut", and others used in ways that just don't make scientific sense to me. Often, I feel the "experts" are just throwing these terms around to scare people into buying expensive tests and supplements (or their latest book).

Part of me thinks just keeping my weight and routine lab numbers in check is the answer, but the overachiever in me wants to know if I'm missing something. But wading through the massive amounts of information out there - most of it quite cringe-worthy - just ends up frustrating me. Being healthy shouldn't be expensive, but SO many of the podcasts I've listened to are pushing constant glucose monitoring, extensive blood work, and "concierge" medicine.

Anyone have sources out there that they trust that don't give off total snake-oil salesman vibes?

You have already figured it out, it seems. Anyone using the buzzwords you quoted (outside of obviously appropriate context) is not to be trusted whatsoever.

You don't need expensive labs unless it is clinically indicated. You don't need a concierge doctor. You don't need supplements unless they are medically indicated. As far as the medical industry is concerned, you rarely need anything more than just routine labs and a physician evaluation every so often as long as you are otherwise healthy.

The truth about health, wellness, and aging is not sexy. Luck into good genetics, maintain a healthy body weight, exercise regularly (incorporating both cardio and resistance training), eat well balanced meals with a focus on eating enough protein, limit overly processed foods in your diet, get the appropriate amount of sleep, find a primary physician you trust that you see with some regularity (although doesn't necessarily have to be yearly), socialize plenty, find hobbies that keep you interested and are enjoyable, keep a healthy sex life, and try to maintain a strong support system.

There are small caveats and additional things that others might find important, but that is mostly it.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
TXTransplant
I feel for you and those in your profession. How in the world do you compete with all the pseudo-science that's out there? A lot of it perpetuated by your former colleagues who now identify not as MDs but as "precision practitioners".

The disdain and almost hate that's built up for the medical profession, especially since Covid, really concerns me.
True Anomaly
AG
It's too bad that functional medicine seems to be caught up in buzzwords like "toxins" and "biohacking" and whatnot. To me, ideally functional medicine would strip everything down to "How well do you keep at a manageable level of bodyfat and how well are you able to move?"- none of which really require any drugs at all.

The goal should be able to take someone, no matter their lifestyle or schedule, and help them structure their diet and their exercise around that in order to stay at a reasonable level of body fat and preserving muscle- without the use of pharmaceuticals. It's possible, but the medical community at large has a hard time embracing it for MANY reasons, not just for purely financial gain
Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag
TXTransplant said:

I feel for you and those in your profession. How in the world do you compete with all the pseudo-science that's out there? A lot of it perpetuated by your former colleagues who now identify not as MDs but as "precision practitioners".

The disdain and almost hate that's built up for the medical profession, especially since Covid, really concerns me.

Eh, I don't compete with them, I'm an ER doctor, so typically my patients are focused on a singular problem. I just try to give the best care and recommendations based on peer-reviewed evidence, expert opinion, and personal experience.

If a patient would prefer to stick to pseudo-science, I don't take it personally. Sometimes it's difficult to distill medical literature down into palatable layman's terms that can dispel months to years of learned misinformation in a 5-10 minute encounter. It's frequently just not possible in a single visit, especially when oftentimes, I am competing with my own colleagues that have sold out to pseudoscience. How is the untrained individual supposed to recognize what is true and what isn't when getting conflicting information from medical professionals?

I just say my peace, challenge their misconceptions politely, and if it appears that they have built up a barrier that is impenetrable, I move on.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
TXTransplant
Being an ER doctor probably helps. Most of your patients have acute, often life-threatening conditions, as compared to those who "just don't feel good" and want to know why.
Quinn
AG
As a type 1 diabetic who wears a continual glucose monitor, I can't imagine doing so if I wasn't diabetic. I really don't get the push for this at all. From the limited amount that I have seen, non-diabetics blood sugar does not really move all that much.
TXTransplant
That's pretty much what I thought, but I've heard more than one podcast/interview lately where an MD was advocating that continuous glucose monitoring is essential data for anyone who cares about their health.
Quinn
AG
I wouldn't waste time/money on it unless you are borderline type 2 diabetic. Your body is going to regulate your blood sugar levels on its own since, don't worry about it.
Hoosegow
BTW doc, not that you give 2 chItz about my opinion, I think I could sit down and have a whiskey with you. You seem to get it.

Now to get back on topic...

Back when I trainer to run my first marathon (austin 2005) no one warned me about nipple bleeding. And while I was running it i saw a sign at about mile 17 that said "who needs toenails?" I had no idea what that meant until 3 days later when my toenails were on a bed of fluid. Lost them a couple of days later.

Oh, FWIW when I said my first marathon, it was also my last. I learned I was built more for staying and fighting than running away at a very VERY slow pace.
ptothemo
AG
The first no dumb question I remember asking on here was when my toenails started to turn black (and eventually fall off). I really thought I had a situation on my hands - errr feet. I think I even called it "runner's toe" when I asked about it because I had seen that in some google search.

Some six years later, I average having about seven toenails intact at any given time and not a damn one of them look "normal". Younger and more naive days back then….
Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag
Always down for a good glass of whiskey.
CFTXAG10
AG
Alright, I am in for a dumb question.

I am reading on the Woodlands half marathon site that headphones are not prohibited but they are strongly discouraged. I have been training with my powerbeats pro pretty much every run. I guess my question is this: Do I need to ditch the headphones? Lower the volume? Pick up some different ones that arent so "noice cancelling" like Shokz?

TIA. First time running a half.
aznaggiegirl07
AG
TXTransplant said:

talk to a dietitian...

but seriously, it is a lot of information., which it means job security for me...it sucks because i have to listen to people talk about something that have wrong/misleading information about,,,

aggiespartan
AG
CFTXAG10 said:

Alright, I am in for a dumb question.

I am reading on the Woodlands half marathon site that headphones are not prohibited but they are strongly discouraged. I have been training with by powerbeats pro pretty much every run. I guess my question is this: Do I need to ditch the headphones? Lower the volume? Pick up some different ones that arent so "noice cancelling" like Shokz?

TIA. First time running a half.
Wear them but at a volume where you can still be aware of your surroundings. Almost every race will have this verbiage.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.