Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Father vs Son One Mile Race: One Month to prepare

4,568 Views | 49 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by zachsccr
Sweep4-2
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Race day almost here. Training has been painful, my body is feeling those 200/400 days. Knees and left hip are sore.

Bad news: Body hurting, times pretty much unchanged.

Good news: I ran a relaxed 5k Saturday at a 7:20 pace and a 10k tonight at 7:41 and felt great after the first mile.

I'm enjoying the time training with my son and having a bit of fun with the "race". But I enjoy the 5k/10k distance training much more than this mile training (even though I know those 5k/10k times aren't competitive in my soon to be 50-59 age group). Gosh that feels old when I type it!!!

94chem
Sooooooo......?
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
AggieOO
his joints probably blew up mid-race and he bled out on the track.
AZAG08
AG
94chem said:

Sooooooo......?
hard to type in a body cast
The Pilot
AG
Heard he slipped the kid some brownies laced with ex-lax the day before the race.
Sweep4-2
Haha....y'all are hilarious! We were supposed to race this past Tuesday, but I succumbed to the dreaded "Moderna Shot #2" symptoms and was in no shape to jog, much less race. So he graciously let me postpone to this weekend.

So this Saturday is the day. And I'm glad, because my body is hurting from this type of training. Y'all said it would be hard, and weren't kidding!

I know I said I'd share before training / after training times after the race, but I'll go ahead and share the 'before' On April 5, I ran a 1600m in 6:23. And I was worried I was going to pass out and nobody would find me since I was by myself at the track.

I've trained hard, but I'm not confident that I'll be any faster at this point because I feel like the wear/tear on my now-50 year old body may set in and will result in my being slower. My son and I have done training runs together and it looks he's just trotting along while I'm in agony behind.
ptothemo
AG
Ah yes, "the vaccine taper". It seems to be sweeping the fitness world these days.
Ag Eng 92
AG
Sweep4-2 said:

Haha....y'all are hilarious! We were supposed to race this past Tuesday, but I succumbed to the dreaded "Moderna Shot #2" symptoms and was in no shape to jog, much less race. So he graciously let me postpone to this weekend.

So this Saturday is the day. And I'm glad, because my body is hurting from this type of training. Y'all said it would be hard, and weren't kidding!

I know I said I'd share before training / after training times after the race, but I'll go ahead and share the 'before' On April 5, I ran a 1600m in 6:23. And I was worried I was going to pass out and nobody would find me since I was by myself at the track.

I've trained hard, but I'm not confident that I'll be any faster at this point because I feel like the wear/tear on my now-50 year old body may set in and will result in my being slower. My son and I have done training runs together and it looks he's just trotting along while I'm in agony behind.

I'm the same way- turned 50 in December. I ran a 1:44 half marathon last November and thought I could get faster this spring. My speed work instead has worn me out so that I'm constantly tired and sluggish. My high school senior will occasionally go out with me and get bored with my pace, even though I'm working 4x as hard other days. Oh well, I'm enjoying being outside with him. Good luck on this!
OaklandAg06
AG
You can always heel hook him before the race if you need to even the tables a bit
wcb
AG
I predict the finish looks something like this...

Sweep4-2
Haha, y'all are hilarious! Yes, the heel hook might make it closer, but I'd have to catch him first.

wcb, I"m really hoping it doesn't end like that! That looks brutal!
Sweep4-2
Okay.....the results of the race are in and I survived!!! Also had a ton of fun training and 'racing'!

Race Results (Summary): My son won easily and I was nowhere near sub-6:00, as predicted by everyone. My son ran a comfortable-for-him 6:05 and I ran an 'all out' 6:09.5. I never led, and was never even close to leading.

Detailed version: After listening to everyone's advice and my own body, I knew that 'winning' and sub-6:00 were not realistic. So my son set his pace for 6:10 and we agreed he would pace through 1200m, and I would just try and hang on. Temps in the 70's with light rain, nice. Wind of 14-16 mph dead upwind on the homestretch was not nice.

In terms of splits, I glanced at my watch each 400m, but didn't record them. Here's what I remembered:
-400m: 1:27 (faster than planned)
-800m: 3:03 (ahead of planned pace, pain setting in)
-1200m: No clue, was in too much pain to look.
-1600m/finish: 6:05 for my son, 6:09.5 for me.

The almost 5 second gap all came in the final 250m or so, so the race was more lopsided than it looks.

Conclusion: Great father/son time, both training and during the race. We sat on the track for 30 minutes after just recuperating, talking about the race and enjoying outside. Also felt happy with my time, although I realize that 10 seconds is a loooooong way in terms of distance (in terms of trying to go sub 6:00). But that's ok, it was fun to try and I feel pretty good running that pace at 50.

Thanks for everyone's encouragement, training recommendations and good humor in helping me train and race!!
94chem
Nice story. If I were you, I'd try to nail that 6 minute mark while I still can. Your VO2 Max is gonna take a hit any year now.

And use the race as a teachable moment. Let him know that if he wants to be good, he needs to look like you when he finishes a race. I think it's dangerous for guys our age to go lactic, but from what I see with the kids, they train hard and are disciplined, but they leave something in the tank on race day. Talent from God, discipline from self, effort like dad.
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
wbt5845
AG
According to this website for age adjustments:

https://runbundle.com/tools/age-grading-calculator

Your 6:10 for a 50 year old is the equivalent of a 5:24 for a senior athlete (aged 19-29, same gender).
Sweep4-2
94chem - Thanks! Yeah, I'd have to think about that. Cardio and muscles did fine with the training, but the joints were starting to hurt.

Thanks for sharing those thoughts about the teachable moment, I especially like the part about talent, discipline and effort. I want to both help coach him with words, and to also model the behaviors and effort so he can see the importance.

wbt5845 - thanks for sharing that, cool info and that makes me feel faster!!
zachsccr
AG
Nothing constructive to add, just that this has been great to read and really awesome.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.