Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Protein Powder/meal replacement for 90 year old

1,659 Views | 25 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Iowaggie
bloom
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Any suggestions for a protein powder that could be disguised in ice cream or pudding? Suggestions for meal replacement items that are tasty (sweet)? Ninety year old only wants soda and ice creamand I relate!
Guitarsoup
AG
If they are 90. Let them live off ice cream if they want.
bloom
I agree! But the doctors say that recovery from a broken hip is going to require a little bit of better nutrition. Fun suckers.
Guitarsoup
AG
At least the ice cream has calcium.

Best I can think of is Boost High Protein or making milkshakes.

If you are in Houston, I have cases of Boost high protein from my dad.
bloom
Thanks, but that is part of why I am askingshe won't drink Ensure or Boost. We have tried sneaking it in disguised as chocolate milk, but it is still a no go. We need a powder that we can sneak into her ice cream or pudding and a nutritional cookie or bar that she might assume is just a dessert. There have to be some of the cookies or bars that taste reasonably good. High fat and sugar content and are not a problem
Marauder Blue 6
AG
Quest protein cookies are really good as are Lenny & Larry's. Siggi's yogurt and instant pudding is good. I'm personally a fan of ***e yogurt with sugar free jello powder added.
TXTransplant
In general, protein powders are so dry that they soak up A LOT of liquid when you add them to anything. So, in a lot of cases, if you just try to mix it in, you end up with something that has the consistency of play-doh.

However, I've experimented with quite a few of them over the last couple of months (thanks to a nutrition challenge I participated in), and I've found egg powder by far has the best consistency (less grainy and more fluffy) and best taste (it actually has very little flavor, especially compared to plant-based proteins).

But, you're not going to get it into ice cream. You can definitely get it into oatmeal, if you use enough milk or water. It makes great smoothies, too, but you'll want to start with milk and Greek yogurt and blend in some fruit or peanut butter. Greek yogurt is naturally very high in protein, and if you get the Mootopia lactose free milk from HEB, the ultra-filtration process used to remove the lactose also concentrates the protein. It's also really good blended with chocolate chips (and I imagine chocolate syrup would work well, too).

You can get vanilla and chocolate flavored egg protein powder, in addition to plain.

If you use one scoop of egg protein, one cup of Mootopia milk, and 1/2 cup Greek yogurt, you can easily make a smoothie with 50+ grams of protein. Add whatever fruit, nut butter, or chocolate necessary to make it palatable. I really like frozen cherries. And a little ice, if you want it to seem like ice cream or a milkshake.
bigtruckguy3500
I can't remember if it's Carnation or who, but there's a tasteless protein powder packet that is added to random food in the hospital. But I'm sure there are lots of brands out there, I think my protein makes some too.

When someone is that old, just getting them to eat is sometimes hard enough. I've got some super high calorie boost left over from my dad, I think. At my mom's place in baytown.

My protein brand has a ton of flavors and I bet she'd find it way more tasty than Ensure. Also, one serving a day will probably be enough protein a day.
Mollie03
AG
My brother used to make milkshakes with whole milk, bluebell and carnation Instant breakfast when he was trying to gain weight. Probably put Oreos in there too. He ate about a sleeve a day in high school. I like ascent protein mixed with milk. Would be really good in whole milk. Or if I was really wanting to bulk up I would blend it with ice cream. Never tried it. Could try the plain flavor they sell in bulk at sprouts and mix that up in a chick fil a shake.
bloom
Great suggestions. Thank you.
94chem
What is she training for?
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
10andBOUNCE
AG
Quest protein cookies are my go to desert on days I lift. Not sure if I could tell they were protein if I didn't know. Super soft and tasty.
Claude!
Second this - I've enjoyed all of the Quest protein cookie (15g protein) varieties I've tried. I thought the Quest peanut butter cups (11g protein) were also really good. Their protein bars I could take or leave, though.
bloom
Ultra Senior Triathlon:
.5K walker race
Sit down/get up 10
.25 maneuver to a toilet/back to chair race

Prize: A little dignity and independence

Plus, she just needs more calories. If she would eat a gallon of ice cream like the rest of us she would probably be OK, but she has decided she "doesn't want to get fat". Seriously. WTF?!?
94chem
bloom said:

Ultra Senior Triathlon:
.5K walker race
Sit down/get up 10
.25 maneuver to a toilet/back to chair race

Prize: A little dignity and independence

Plus, she just needs more calories. If she would eat a gallon of ice cream like the rest of us she would probably be OK, but she has decided she "doesn't want to get fat". Seriously. WTF?!?

Buy Ben & Jerry's, but put it in halo top containers.
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
Guitarsoup
AG
Ok, this is crazy, but make ice cream and mix protein powder in it before you freeze it. Would be a pain in the ass, but if we want granny to get more protein and granny only wants ice cream, this seems like the best way.
CrockerAg98
AG
You might try the Premier Protein shakes from Costco, or the Kirkland brand Complete Nutrition shakes.

They're both shakes, but if you throw them in the freezer, they essentially become malts.
TXTransplant
I'm pretty sure a Wendy's frosty would take a scoop of egg protein powder. She won't even notice it.
10andBOUNCE
AG
If by a Braums just have the workers sprinkle some powder while they make a delicious swirl cone.
chris1515
AG
Make some instant chocolate pudding, add the milk and mix in the blender, toss in some chocolate whey protein and then add a few big spoons of peanut butter. Blend it, chill, and serve. Good stuff
bushytailed
AG
Halo Top ice cream is high in protein (roughly 18-19 grams per serving).

Everyone wins.
htxag09
AG
bushytailed said:

Halo Top ice cream is high in protein (roughly 18-19 grams per serving).

Everyone wins.

Except for this person eating it. ****s terrible.
TXTransplant
No kidding! I tried it once and thought it was terrible...felt like I was eating play-doh (and now I know, that's pretty much what you get when you try to mix protein powder with Greek yogurt).
jejdag
I read somewhere that xanthan gum is what's added in Wendy's smoothies to get the consistency they have. I think you can get it pretty cheap at Natural Grocers
aggiebrad94
AG
Kodiak Cake mix for cookies, pancakes, cookie dough balls, and muffins

Also, if she'll eat pasta, there are some great protein fortified pastas.
combat wombat™
AG
Can you make a chocolate malt with boost or ensure? I usually make it with vanilla ice cream, malt powder, Hershey syrup, and milk. Maybe trying few different variations to see what works best before you try it on her.

I like to make milkshakes with Blue Bell Dutch chocolate ice cream and milk.

Try different combinations of ice cream flavors and supplement flavors. Try with malt powder. Try Vanilla Ice cream with Hershey's syrup and then switch it out and use chocolate ice cream instead.

I also make fruit smoothies with Dannon Light Greek yogurt - that has 12 g of protein (but only 80 calories so if you need more calories don'tuse the light stuff). To the yogurt I add about a cup of frozen fruit and water. That's it.

You might try full fat yogurt, I used to get that for my kids when they were babies.

Does she like creme brulee? It may have more protein than your average dessert because of the eggs. For that matter, frozen custard may, too, because they add extra yolks.

Does Jamba Juice have a protien powder they can mix into smoothies?

Best of luck.
Iowaggie
AG
Would they be interested in Smoothie King?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.