Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Getting more serious about cycling

43,699 Views | 387 Replies | Last: 3 days ago by TurboVelo
txags92
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
htxag09 said:

So I follow bicycle world on social media, they are having a tent sale and seem to have a **** ton of bike, entry road bike, higher end road bikes, tri bikes, mountain bikes, etc. I mean they took a video of the bikes part of the tent sale and there were at least 50 bikes just part of the sale. What gives? You walk into any bike shop in houston and they'll have a few several thousand dollar electric bikes and maybe a couple others. This just because they're in Waco and demand isn't there?
Might still be working to sell off inventory from all the stores they closed in the Houston area last year.
FlowCtlr
AG
Bump!
Let's bring the cycling talk back! I have always been into cycling but just recently got more serious about it. Purchased a '21 Cannondale Synapse Carbon and am loving it. Heading to Dubai later in the year and looking forward to cycling the Al Qudra Loop.
htxag09
AG
That's pretty neat! Wasn't really into cycling when I went to dubai or I definitely would have done that. Cycling is a pretty great way to discover places when traveling. We went to Australia a couple years ago and I rented a bike from livelo. I emailed them sizing, they had the bike ready, the right pedals installed, water bottles, helmet, etc all delivered to my hotel. They also emailed me a bunch of routes and I downloaded them to my garmin.

hbc07
AG
Nice. Just 3 weeks ago I upgrade my Domane ALR 3 to a custom Emonda SLR 9 which feels like it just flies up hills. Currently working on figuring out what power meter to get so that I can start doing some structured training to get myself up to the quality of my bike. Currently looking at Assioma or Garmin RK200 pedals, or the quarq dfour dub.
[url]http://hasthelargehadroncolliderdestroyedtheworldyet.com[/url]
Phat32
AG
Those are wonderful spots. Got the chance to swim in the Iceberg pool there and have run around both. Just amazing.
htxag09
AG
Swam there as well. Cold as balls but worth it!
FlowCtlr
AG
Very nice! And agree completely. I visited the Netherlands recently and can't wait to cycle that country. The question now is how to best transport the bike if rental isn't feasible. Any folks travel with the bike?
agcivengineer
AG
I completed LOTOJA bike race last saturday. From Logan, UT to Jackson Hole, Wy. Longest sanctioned 1 day race in the US. 204 mi, 8500 ft of climb. Awesome race, beautiful scenery, hellacious effort. Excellent support
FlowCtlr
AG
Holy crap, that's insane!
A New Hope
agcivengineer said:

I completed LOTOJA bike race last saturday. From Logan, UT to Jackson Hole, Wy. Longest sanctioned 1 day race in the US. 204 mi, 8500 ft of climb. Awesome race, beautiful scenery, hellacious effort. Excellent support

18 mph??? Uphill for 200 miles?? I'm glad to see lance Armstrong is posting on texags.
agcivengineer
AG
Ha ha. Not quite. I wish though. I learned there are some amazing athletes averaging over 22 mph on this. Living here in Texas hasnt prepared me very well for elevation or climbing, and i was also not great at descending. Its was crazy hard, but loved it.
hbc07
AG
agcivengineer said:

So what sort of training did you do for something like that?
agcivengineer
AG
Well, i trained for Galveston 70.3 triathlon in April 2021 for 1.5 years at it was cancelled twice. That included: 3 bikes, 2 swims, 3 runs / week. I had 2 friends who had completed LOTOJA previously who i ride with, so i had a decent idea what i was getting into. After galveston, i was in pretty good shape so i thought i had a good base. So, i changed it up to 1 run, 1 swim, 4 -5 rides (2 are power spin class at gym), 1 strength training / week through June. Starting in July, I then removed the strength training (lower body) and added longer riding on 2 of the spin class days and then the weekend ride was increased to 100 miles. Other rides were easy, just time on bike. I was at about 200 - 240 miles / week. I also travelled to Colorado this summer multiple times where we have a cabin and was able to train at 8000 ft, and learn how to climb 6% slopes....that wasnt enough. I went to Austin once, and we rode out towards Brenham/ Bellville as much as possible to get hills.

I learned that i still need to get stronger, need more practice climbing. I did learn to love going up and coming down and not just riding on flat ground all the time.
hbc07
AG
Very cool. I think I would like to do something like that, but I've got a ways to go from my 100-160 mile weeks that encounter only north Dallas hills. I guess I've got a year to get going.
JoeOlson
AG
Does anyone have any recommendations for an indoor trainer? With the baby (and another on the way), it's gotten tougher to get outside and I'm just bored of the peloton (frankly haven't used it in a while). Would rather just ride my actual bike.

Not super sensitive to cost, but would prefer a whole setup under 1k. (Happy to pay more for ease of use if needed and don't want to damage my current bike). Giant defy 3 2019. It's been a solid bike for me and I don't ride enough to even consider a big upgrade.

The wahoos seem like the best fit on the surface/ any thoughts?
htxag09
AG
I'd recommend a direct drive trainer. Either the garmin tacx or the wahoo kickr. I'd go tacx but just because I'm in the garmin ecosystem.
Phat32
AG
htxag09 said:

I'd recommend a direct drive trainer. Either the garmin tacx or the wahoo kickr. I'd go tacx but just because I'm in the garmin ecosystem.

Second this
SoTxAg
AG
Random question: i have no experience with any of the carbon fiber bikes or any other modernization of components. I still ride my stock 1987 cannondale sr-300. Hypothetically, and all other things being equal, yall have a guess of how much faster would i be on some high-end carbon bike? How much better is the hardware these days?
LRHF
AG
SoTxAg said:

Random question: i have no experience with any of the carbon fiber bikes or any other modernization of components. I still ride my stock 1987 cannondale sr-300. Hypothetically, and all other things being equal, yall have a guess of how much faster would i be on some high-end carbon bike? How much better is the hardware these days?

Reframe this line of questions to "how safe is my old bike?".

I have a mid-90's lemond steel bike and did a complete overhaul with modern shifters, bottom bracket, new carbon fork etc. I like old bikes but aluminum does fatigue and fail. Highly recommend a new bike, you will be shocked at how much better new bike equipment is!

To be more specific, I am concerned about your handlebars and seatpost. If the bike has low miles, likely fine. If you have ridden this bike a lot, you will likely see a fatigue failure soon. That era of aluminum cannondale frames was also prone to the rear triangle failing on the drive side dropout.
JoeOlson
AG
htxag09 said:

Thanks man. Just picked up a kickr
Phat32
AG
SoTxAg said:

An immense difference. The tech is night and day.
txags92
AG
Phat32 said:

SoTxAg said:

An immense difference. The tech is night and day.
I think the difference in speed may be relatively small depending on what kind of riding you do and how you ride. But the ride feel and experience will be SO much better. As was said above, the technology has advanced so far and shifters in particular are going to be simple and buttery smooth at just about any price point compared to your old bike. But if you are buying "high end" carbon, the ride feel is what you will notice the most. When you get above the entry-level carbon frames, the bikes are just so responsive, yet the road feel is so smooth, it is really amazing what a difference it makes in how you enjoy the ride. Combine a quality carbon frame with light weight tubeless ready wheels and wider tires on a wide rimmed aero wheel, the ride feel will be so plush you won't realize how fast your are going. The overall speed may not be that different, but the feel will be totally different.
Ragoo
AG
JoeOlson said:

Does anyone have any recommendations for an indoor trainer? With the baby (and another on the way), it's gotten tougher to get outside and I'm just bored of the peloton (frankly haven't used it in a while). Would rather just ride my actual bike.

Not super sensitive to cost, but would prefer a whole setup under 1k. (Happy to pay more for ease of use if needed and don't want to damage my current bike). Giant defy 3 2019. It's been a solid bike for me and I don't ride enough to even consider a big upgrade.

get on Zwift too
JoeOlson
AG
Comes on Monday and I'll hop on there afterwards
Kool
AG
Ragoo said:

JoeOlson said:

get on Zwift too

Check out Sufferfest as well. Or else you risk turning into a Couchlandrian.
Edit: it's now Wahoo SYSTM. And they've added a bunch of rides to it.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
hbc07
AG
Received a Kickr as an early Christmas present last week. Currently trying out zwift. WIll probably give it a month and then cycle through some of the other programs to see which I like the best.
Ragoo
AG
hbc07 said:

Received a Kickr as an early Christmas present last week. Currently trying out zwift. WIll probably give it a month and then cycle through some of the other programs to see which I like the best.
congrats on the kickr.
hbc07
AG
Getting some good use out of the kickr. So far I've logged 180 miles in the last 3 weeks on it (on top of the ~185 road miles in the same time).

Started the "Build me up" program in zwift and just about to wrap up week 2 of 12. Starting FTP was 227 and am looking forward to seeing what it ends up being. Already feeling results though based on the pull I did for 10 miles on my group ride yesterday. Biggest downside is I'm missing out on a number of group rides while doing the 4-5 trainer rides a week.

My goal is to be able to comfortably ride on an A ride where I normally sit at the front of the C ride (would be fine on B, but I don't like or trust most of the riders on it)
RangerRick9211
AG
Quote:

Check out the Bicycle Speed Shop, they host some gravel rides nearby.
Great to see BSS get a mention! Ryan has done a lot of work on my Madone (crash) and I can't recommend them enough.
Quote:

Heading to Dubai later in the year and looking forward to cycling the Al Qudra Loop.
I rode the loop in '20 when I was there a month for an engagement. I rented from a local shop and brought my own shoes, pedals and helmet. I can dig up the shop if you need a recommendation.

Quote:

Plus one on the Varia. I have had one for a couple of months and am a huge fan.
I just got a Varia. We moved to Portland and I ride mostly hilly roads with elevation now, i.e. slow and blind curves. It paired fine with my Wahoo.
Quote:

I know you bought a Kickr. Which I also have and is my primary turbo for Zwift. But is that really any more enjoyable than a Peloton?

I really, really like my E-motion rollers with the ERG module. It's not as dialed or responsive for ERG workouts, but infinitely more enjoyable for spinning in Zwift. It feels so close to real riding with full range of motion and momentum based balance.

---
I'm also shifting onto the trainer with winter here in PDX. TexAgs group ride sometime? Or, if anyone's also building off-season base happy to host a group ride. I'm mid-block on TR with lots of 1-2 hour sessions of sweet spot (3-3.5 w/kg) intervals.

N+1 update: Sold the Diamondback (Ultegra mech). Madone is on trainer duty full-time. Just completed a build of an open mold frame from China w/ R8000 Ultegra and some Chinese carbon wheels. We'll see how that goes. I'm eyeing an Aspero or Open Upper build for gravel. I want to join the OMTM monthly rides here in PDX (http://www.omtm.cc/october-pleasant-ridge).

Hit me up if anyone is ever in PDX and we'll go for a spin!

Not a bad integrated cockpit for a $1k frame!
FlowCtlr
AG
How did you like the Al Qudra track? There is a shop right at the beginning of the loop called Trek Bicycles that rents out bikes.
RangerRick9211
AG
FlowCtlr said:

How did you like the Al Qudra track? There is a shop right at the beginning of the loop called Trek Bicycles that rents out bikes.
It was fine. Neat. Crossed it off my list. I was there August and September and rode it a few times early morning. I enjoyed putting around the Marina area (where I stayed), Emirates Hills, etc. more.

Yeah, Trek is where I rented. I dug up my rental with them. Base rates, but they discounted me 15% for a month of rental.

Quote:

(Week Days)

53 AED - 2 Hrs.

95 AED - 4 Hrs./Half Day

132 AED - Fullday/24Hrs

(Week End)

95 AED - 2 Hrs.

132 AED - 4 Hrs./Half Day

168 AED - Fullday/24Hrs

It's not cheap, but my firm provides $15/day for fitness on the road and that nearly covered it.
hbc07
AG
I've never done any racing, but I've currently got my eye on the Davy Crocket Classic in April and am trying to recruit some of the guys I ride with to join in. I'd be doing Cat 4/5 and would be happy just to finish with the group. Has a ~50mi group stage Sat. morning, an 8mi time trial Sat. afternoon, and a 45mi group stage Sun. morning. Would definitely be testing my limits, but I'm always up for a challenge.
RustyBoltz
AG
hbc07 said:

I've never done any racing, but I've currently got my eye on the Davy Crocket Classic in April and am trying to recruit some of the guys I ride with to join in. I'd be doing Cat 4/5 and would be happy just to finish with the group. Has a ~50mi group stage Sat. morning, an 8mi time trial Sat. afternoon, and a 45mi group stage Sun. morning. Would definitely be testing my limits, but I'm always up for a challenge.

Sounds like a fun weekend. I'd volunteer but that's IMTX weekend.
FlowCtlr
AG
I cycled the 86km Al Qudra loop in Dubai yesterday. It was an awesome experience. Cycling into the desert for miles without any cars around was definitely something I had never experienced before. There weren't many cyclists out either; I maybe saw someone riding the other direction every 5-10 miles. Very serene. I am jealous of the folks who live in Dubai who get to enjoy it every week.
hbc07
AG
Does anyone have any good rides in the hill country? I'm considering making a weekend out of it to get a good change of pace from my north Dallas area rides and doing 2 60mi +/- 20mi rides in February or March, but just don't know where to go.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.