Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Getting more serious about cycling

34,239 Views | 365 Replies | Last: 11 days ago by TurboVelo
hbc07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I was wondering about that. I noticed they were using a different registration system than the rest of Le Etape (I think active.com) and I also noticed that they were no longer listed as an event on the Le Etape website.
hbc07
AG
Ragoo said:

Despite the troubles sounds like a great time on the bike.
There have been a number of setbacks over the last year and the few in the last two days, but it's hard to complain when you're able to get away from it all and just be out there on the bike.

An easy 35mi today with 1800ft, but was as humid as could be. At one point I could barely see out of my glasses due to accumulated condensation. I unintentionally conquered my (perhaps irrational) fear of riding over cattle guards today, so that was a win even though I did enjoy the rather short break I got hopping off the bike and walking over them. Now to get some work done and try to recover as best I can for tomorrow.
Leggo My Elko
AG
The current organizer, a non profit "San Antonio Sports", hosted a zoom Q&A and went over what was happening w/ the event. They signed a 3 year deal w/ L'Etape so the event is going happen for at least though 2026 in San Antonio. They hired the race director who has done lots of large Triathlons, some roads race and running events and was the director for the Las Vegas L'Etape. So even though they are way behind the 8ball on this years race, they have somebody running it that understands it. Apparently, at last years start they had the 3 distances (100, 60, 25) corral by distance, then by expected pace. This lead to some major issues w/ fast paced riders in the 60 mile and 25 mile having to work their way though the slower paced longer distance riders who started ahead of them. This year the start will be corralled by expected pace regardless of which distance. They usually have some retired pro tour rider doing the race and a meet and greet type thing, that won't happen this year, but should in the future. Phil Gaimon will be there, but not of behalf of the race but one of his sponsors who's also sponsoring the race.
hbc07
AG
Day 4 appears to be a bust. Temps ranging from 47-50 + 15-25mph wind + gusts up to 40mph. That just sounds miserable typing it out. Want to ride since that's the whole reason I'm here, but I want to enjoy on some level what I'm doing…
FlowCtlr
AG
Just completed the Coast to Coast Cycle Challenge in Dubai. 220km from west coast to east coast with 1700m of climbing. My longest distance completed in one ride, and finished in 7h15m. It was a blast. Highly recommended if you are in the ME region!

http://coasttocoastcyclechallenge.com/
Nitro Power
AG
txags92 said:

mtngoat3006 said:

Is anyone riding in the Texas MS150 this year? The former Aggie Cycling Team Powered by the Houston Physicians Hospital is now the Space City Aggies Cycling Team this year. If you've never ridden in the MS150, you should consider riding this year. It's always a rolling PARTY and a great time. I'll be riding with the Space City Aggies and starting from Austin and on to Lagrange on Saturday. Then from Lagrange to Kyle Field on Sunday. It's an awesome experience riding into Kyle Field to the Finish Line. Beat the HELL outta MS!!!
I will be riding this year and starting from Austin also. My wife and I rode with the Aggie club for several years and have been riding with Schlumberger for the last few years (now SLB cycling club). We recently moved from Houston to Bastrop, so joining a team doesn't make as much sense to us as it used to financially. We will be starting in Austin, spending the night at our house in Bastrop instead of in a team tent in LaGrange and won't get the benefit of any team training rides based out of Houston.

I have been riding the Peloton 3x a week all winter doing Power Zone Pack challenges. I just started riding around the neighborhood here a couple of weeks ago and have figured out a 12 mile loop I can ride without ever leaving the subdivision or getting on roads with a speed limit over 35 mph. Did 25 miles on Sunday and will be doing 30 this weekend.

On a personal note, thank you for riding and raising funds. I was diagnosed with MS in 2006 and I am one of the lucky ones that has had no additional episodes since my original hearing loss that led to me getting diagnosed. I have had additional lesions show up in my brain over time, but they have not led to any further disability. I have many friends that have directly benefited from treatments that were made possible by the research funded by the MS Societyfrom MS150 funds. Thanks to all who ride, and if you see me out there in an "I Ride With MS Jersey", hop on my wheel and I will gladly pull you as far as I can.

My man...love riding the MS and glad to hear about the impacts it has.
RangerRick9211
AG
Which one of you is the race director around here? The one that still runs tubs!

Have you had any experience with inserts yet? I've got a dumb light XC build I'm wrapping up for my entry into MTB racing and lacing some carbon hoops. I planned tubeless, but everyone around me is saying Vittoria Airliner Lights + sealant is the new meta.

The idea of adding even 60g of rolling mass per wheel terrifies me. In theory, no impact to rolling resistance as they compress with PSI. I'm not sold, though.
TurboVelo
AG
RangerRick9211 said:

Which one of you is the race director around here? The one that still runs tubs!

Have you had any experience with inserts yet? I've got a dumb light XC build I'm wrapping up for my entry into MTB racing and lacing some carbon hoops. I planned tubeless, but everyone around me is saying Vittoria Airliner Lights + sealant is the new meta.

The idea of adding even 60g of rolling mass per wheel terrifies me. In theory, no impact to rolling resistance as they compress with PSI. I'm not sold, though.
That's me. Vittoria is a sponsor, so I've used them and like them. At 60g, it's still considerably lighter than tubes.
RangerRick9211
AG
TurboVelo said:

RangerRick9211 said:

That's me. Vittoria is a sponsor, so I've used them and like them. At 60g, it's still considerably lighter than tubes.

Cool they are a sponsor!

I ordered a pair. I think I'll start with a single rear insert. I just don't puncture that much in the PNW loam. But most of my races this year are more eastern in the Rockies and I'm guessing more gnarly.
TurboVelo
AG
RangerRick9211 said:

TurboVelo said:

RangerRick9211 said:

Cool they are a sponsor!

I ordered a pair. I think I'll start with a single rear insert. I just don't puncture that much in the PNW loam. But most of my races this year are more eastern in the Rockies and I'm guessing more gnarly.
Especially for a guy that still rides sewups!

Keep in mind that 60g is about 2 ounces of water, so it's nto much weight. I think it'll be good insurance for you. Good luck and have fun!
SteveA
AG
Man, Turbo velo doesnt mountain bike!
TurboVelo
AG
SteveA said:

Man, Turbo velo doesnt mountain bike!
I do so! I live on RCP and ride at the ranch every time I'm there. In fact, I've spent more on MTB's than track bikes! I just don't race them very often.
SteveA
AG
I forgot you lived over there! I haven't been to Rcp forever. We should have a play date!
TurboVelo
AG
SteveA said:

I forgot you lived over there! I haven't been to Rcp forever. We should have a play date!
Heck yeah! I'll be the track in Milton next week and Sea Otter after that, but after that, I'm back for a while until Tulsa Tough. I'm ready to try out the single speed I built up.
SteveA
AG
Well, I am the Single Speed state champion, so I'll bring mine too!
TurboVelo
AG
SteveA said:

Well, I am the Single Speed state champion, so I'll bring mine too!
I can't pass up a coaching opportunity like that!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.