Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Marathons Amid COVID

21,886 Views | 274 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by YokelRidesAgain
Post removed:
by user
The Pilot
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
First marathon? I'd suggest a less aggressive plan if you are only at 20 mpw currently.
Post removed:
by user
htxag09
AG
Ironman Texas cancelled. Seems it's solely at the hands of Dora. **** her
NoahAg
Wow, that is absurd. Dora, Fauci, et al are power-hungry narcissists who can't stand the notion of fading back into irrelevance. This nonsense has gone on long enough.

(sorry for teetering on the political)
RustyBoltz
AG
Shocking. So shocked, I deferred my '20 IMTX registration to '21 but never started training. See y'all in 2022!
htxag09
AG
Good for you? I knew it was about a 20% chance of happening but as it got closer the odds were increasing. And I've been training since i signed up for 2020 in summer of 2019. The reason it's canceled is what pissed me off. They can get the approvals from woodlands and Montgomery county for everything needed. Yet Harris county decides a bike event going through their county, outdoors, where it's illegal to draft (aka be within several feet of each other) is too dangerous. There's no common sense, "science" or any logic in this decision by them. It's them not wanting to relinquish the power they've been having and still living in her world of hyperbole and over exaggeration of absolutely everything.
Motot
AG
Just out of curiosity, could they not just then change the course for the bike portion to avoid Dora's world? I realize that would involve quick coordination for road closures, but I would think those would be in outlying areas and easier to get.
94chem
sbtxag13 said:

Just out of curiosity, could they not just then change the course for the bike portion to avoid Dora's world? I realize that would involve quick coordination for road closures, but I would think those would be in outlying areas and easier to get.
Why? You can ride down the middle of any street in Houston, any time you want, if you just go slowly enough and dress like Liberace.
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
htxag09
AG
sbtxag13 said:

Theoretically they could and I assume they tried. Who knows how hard they tried, though. But I definitely imagine it's pretty tough to find 112 miles (even 50 miles and 2 loops) of road that people are willing to close and issue permits for. Especially late in the game. I mean the course did used to go north towards Sam Houston National Park and the permits weren't renewed because of traffic issues it caused. Other issue is smaller roads have lots of intersections, all those intersections require more traffic personnel, cops, etc.

I mean the Hardy Toll road isn't really a very scenic or fun route to begin with, I'm sure they've explored other options to improve it ever since it's become the route.
RustyBoltz
AG
Signing up for any races anywhere until COVID is filed away physically and politically is a gamble; and as with gambling, don't bet anything you're not willing to lose. Trail races and small tri's are probably a safe bet but to commit to a 6mo build during ongoing COVID restrictions with a target race that requires hundreds of volunteers and the coordination of multiple cities/counties is setting yourself up for disappointment.
Swarely
Austin Half is Sunday! Anyone else doing it?
I'm in the 7:10 heat.
Swarely
Was a hot one today. My body is covered in sweat. Happy to switch into sprint triathlon training this week.
Iraq2xVeteran
AG
I ran the Austin Half Marathon in 1:44:02 yesterday. This was my 8th half marathon and 2nd in Austin. Previously, I ran the 3M Half Marathon in 1:39:38 on 1/19/20.
Iraq2xVeteran
AG
Swarely said:

Was a hot one today. My body is covered in sweat. Happy to switch into sprint triathlon training this week.
I wore shorts and a thin long sleeve to run the Austin Half Marathon. I liked the weather because it was warm enough to wear shorts and T-shirt. In my 3 previous half marathons, the starting temperature was below 40 degrees. My ideal starting temperature for running races is in the 50s or 60s. What was your time?
AgCanuck07
AG
I'm trying to plan for a fall marathon. Has any run the OKC Marathon? Thoughts?
littlebitofhifi
AG
I've done the OKC Half twice and absolutely love it. I find it to be a bit of a challenging course due to some hills but the course support is so good, it makes up for it. It's well organized and may even be better weather in October than the usual April (we had to wait out a 90-minute tornado warning at the start a few years ago).

And just for context, I'm a very casual runner so others with more experience may be able to chime in. I've run/walked a dozen or so half marathons over the years and am finally going to try my first full this year with the OKC.

94chem
littlebitofhifi said:

(we had to wait out a 90-minute tornado warning at the start a few years ago).

So was that a tailwind or a headwind? Or both at the same time?
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
BQ2001
AG
I used to live in OKC and did the full and half a few times and it was my first full. I really like the half, it was challenging but not overly and there was good crowd support the whole time.
The full got a little lonely once you head out to Lake Hefner but the finish was always nice coming back into down town. I could always hear the crowds and announcements weaving back into the last half mile or so.
Weather in April was hit and miss, some years perfect, other cold and rainy and others really hot. That would be the biggest downsides. October you will probably have a better chance of cool weather.
Swarely
I normally do it around 2:10-2:15. This year I stuck with a friend for mora support, so it was 3:25.

I love races under 60 Two of my full marathons have been in 54 weather. One full (in Austin) got up into the 70s. That one was very rough.
ptothemo
AG
Boston Marathon cutoff time for the race in October is 7:47. I can not imagine being in the shoes of those that ran five minutes or more better than their age qualifying time and still aren't getting in.
94chem
ptothemo said:

Boston Marathon cutoff time for the race in October is 7:47. I can not imagine being in the shoes of those that ran five minutes or more better than their age qualifying time and still aren't getting in.
You mean 3:24? I see 3:25 for the 50 - 54 age group.

Honestly, I think those wackos will find any excuse possible to not race anything this year. I was shocked to see public parks in Atlanta still closed last week.
94chem,
ptothemo
AG
No, I mean that take 7:47 off the age qualifying time, and that is what it takes to actually get in. So, the age qualifying time for 50 - 54 is 3:25, but for this October, you have to have run 3:17:13 in order to qualify.
94chem
ptothemo said:

No, I mean that take 7:47 off the age qualifying time, and that is what it takes to actually get in. So, the age qualifying time for 50 - 54 is 3:25, but for this October, you have to have run 3:17:13 in order to qualify.
Mercy. Even worse when they end up not having the race.
94chem,
Motot
AG
Won't be the same without the crowds and with a very staggered start out of Hopkinton. I was surprised that it went that low with the other big city marathons weeks/days apart from it.
ptothemo
AG
MCM just announced that it is going live for 10/31/2021. I had already decided to defer again to next year but reading that it is happening live definitely made me think for a second about blowing up my fall schedule to run in it. Either way, not unexpected news that it is going live but good news for sure.
94chem
Just got my shirt for completing the Texas Marathon trifecta - Kingwood, Seabrook, and Galveston. Only 9 people did it, so I'm pretty proud of it!
94chem,
AggieOO
ptothemo said:

MCM just announced that it is going live for 10/31/2021. I had already decided to defer again to next year but reading that it is happening live definitely made me think for a second about blowing up my fall schedule to run in it. Either way, not unexpected news that it is going live but good news for sure.
MCM is such a great race. That finish is rough though, assuming it has not changed.
CDub06
AG
NYC Marathon was announced a couple of days ago. November 7 with 33,000 runners.

Quote:

In order to prioritize the 2020 marathon runners who were already guaranteed entry, a drawing will not be held for this year's marathon. Registration for runners with guaranteed entry will begin June 8 and last for one week.
wangus12
AG
Yep. Sounds like it'll be 2020 cancels and legacy runners for 2021.

I just got my email saying I'm in for 2022.
YokelRidesAgain
AG
Grandma's Marathon is a go for June 19! Sounds like the post-race events are also going to be held in more or less the usual format (originally, they were cancelled).

Organizers are asking for masks on transportation to the start line, but seems like the race will be pretty "normal" otherwise.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.