Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Marathons Amid COVID

21,972 Views | 274 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by YokelRidesAgain
AgCanuck07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I would not expect any large marathons to happen anytime before March/April. There are just so many people (Runners, Spectators, Volunteers) and lots of people traveling to the destination city from other regions or countries.
ptothemo
AG
Really positive news from BCS today. I've been quietly hopeful about that one, but it was nice to read confirmation that they are committed to making it happen.
CDub06
AG
Yep. I went ahead and registered. So glad I have an actual event to train for now.
AggieOO
cross your fingers and hope no one in the permitting office gets nervous. That's the easiest thing to derail races right now. I know many RDs that have had permits pulled on their races very close to race day.
JDL 96
The McKinney Kiwanis triathlon occurred on 9-20. Great turnout. Seemed like 500 racers.
Keller has just the green light for a tri on 10-18.
INDOOR pools for both swims. Despite that, both got permits.

I bet races continue in suburbs and smaller cities.

If I was the Dallas Marathon organizer, I'd be in talks with McKinney about relocating for this December's marathon.
bushytailed
AG
Send me an email if you'd like a 10% discount code for BCS. (missyfisk at gmail)
bert harbinson
AG
Dallas Marathon just announced postponement until May 2. Sunday long run going to be a lot shorter.
chrisfield
Sponsor
AG
Come run BCS! We are on and have local officials fully onboard.
AggieOO
bert harbinson
AG
Thanks, I'm seriously considering at least running the Half. Might even try and recruit a couple of friends to come along.
Robert C. Christian
AG
chrisfield said:

Was just coming here to ask this question. Do you know if there is a cutoff date for a final go/no go decision?

I saw the note that if the race was canceled entries would be deferred to 2021, which is much better than a virtual but I usually do Dallas since it is in my backyard.
wangus12
AG
bert harbinson said:

Dallas Marathon just announced postponement until May 2. Sunday long run going to be a lot shorter.
Interesting date choice since Cowtown moved to the weekend of May 7/8. You're making metroplex runners choose between one or the other and I feel most like Cowtown more than BMW.
Prexys Moon
AG
chrisfield said:

I'm all signed up for the full.
wangus12
AG
chrisfield said:

Hey Chris, I expect you to hand me personal Double Dave's pizza rolls. I'll accept them cold.
BQ2001
AG
Just got off the waitlist and signed up for a race in Narragansett, RI. Race is on Oct 25 and is another small one from what I can tell. I was at a wedding there a couple years ago, nice little town.
TRM
AG
Any marathon recommendations in January or February?

Running one Nov 1st and looking for a replacement for Houston.
ptothemo
AG
wangus12 said:

chrisfield said:

Hey Chris, I expect you to hand me personal Double Dave's pizza rolls. I'll accept them cold.

Geez, most of us are over here just happy to have the chance to race, and you're looking for pre-ordered personal food delivery.
BQ2001
AG
One I am keeping an eye on is Big Beach marathon in Gulf Shores, AL at the end of Jan. They seemed pretty open through the summer so hoping they are in the off time as well.
ptothemo
AG
I did a decent bit of research into that recently and didn't come back with much. I was admittedly being relatively selective about locations, size of the field, etc., and I also found a number of races were already postponed or canceled. I ended up setting on Charleston (as a backup to Houston), and that went virtual six days after I registered - womp womp.
BQ2001
AG
ha same for Charleston. I signed up, booked everything and it went virtual.
wangus12
AG
Running the Space Coast half in FL at the end of Nov. I have a feeling that all major races will be shutdown next year as well, so trying to find smaller races is now the priority
BQ2001
AG
I signed up for Big Beach in Gulf Shores AL (Jan 31) the other day. They have a cancellation/deferral now so I felt ok signing up. Seems like it will be a smaller race that can happen.
If you are interested you can use my referral link/code they just sent me (2g7bD7sr).
https://runsignup.com/Race/AL/GulfShores/BigBeachMarathon?raceRefCode=2g7bD7sr&rsus=100-200-ed7eb590-6389-4d3f-aebc-5f5b8cbd385f
pinkdog
I know there's probably no way to really know for sure but some of you people are in the network of racing. Does anyone know any marathons in Texas in early 2021 that most likely WILL go on (no virtual/cancellation)?
wangus12
AG
pinkdog said:

I know there's probably no way to really know for sure but some of you people are in the network of racing. Does anyone know any marathons in Texas in early 2021 that most likely WILL go on (no virtual/cancellation)?
My recommendation is finding smaller cities with marathons and getting in contact with them. It definitely looks like all the major cities aren't going to approve in-person races as of now.
NoahAg
pinkdog said:

As far as I know the Surfside Beach Marathon is still a go. Only $50 for the first 50 to register (not sure if they've reached that yet). Being a smaller race in Brazoria County I'd be surprised if it's canceled.

The whole course is on packed sand - no pavement at all. I ran it in 2012 and had a good time, except a bad storm raged nearly the entire race. I may sign up since Houston is virtual.
94chem
Texas Marathon is on. Not virtual. Limited to 300 in each race. Which is pretty normal anyway.
A is A
AG
94chem said:

Texas Marathon is on. Not virtual. Limited to 300 in each race. Which is pretty normal anyway.

Great news
bert harbinson
AG
Signed up for BCS Full yesterday. Too many long runs already in the books, got to make them count.
Robert C. Christian
AG
Does anything happen to BCS if an A&M home game is pushed to that weekend? Florida has pushed its game with LSU to December 12th. Would a similar situation affect the BCS marathon?
chrisfield
Sponsor
AG
There's really no way to answer that with certainty as that scenario hasn't even been mentioned by A&M to us at this point. But since our race is on Sunday, and I presume the game would still be on a Saturday, I would think both could happen.
Robert C. Christian
AG
Thanks. Having never ran before thia year I wasnt sure if there were any shared facilities that would be impacted.

Just something else for you to juggle.
chrisfield
Sponsor
AG
Thank you. My list was getting way too short.
bushytailed
AG
Graduation is also that weekend (not Sunday though). I don't know that the university would hold graduation AND a home game on the same Saturday.
Iraq2xVeteran
AG
I registered to run the Austin Half Marathon on 2/14/21. If the race is canceled because of Covid-19 restrictions, I can defer my registration to 2022, 2023, or 2024.
johnson2012
AG
I signed up for the Austin full right after doing the half last year, so this is the one I've been watching. With the way everything else has been going around here I'm not holding my breathe. I'm betting we end up with some crazy wave/TT start or just go virtual. I'm still ramping up my mileage just in case.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.