Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Tonal Home Fitness Thing

11,085 Views | 40 Replies | Last: 4 mo ago by Pahdz
cadetjay02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
https://www.tonal.com/

Any thoughts on this? Seems like a Peloton for weights.
Hoosegow
Seems expensive to me. From what I understand, there is a $50 subscription fee. I get that it is compact, but I guess what you are paying for is convenience. To me, I could buy a nice power rack, even one of those fold up ones from Rouge, weights, a bench and a good bar and come out ahead. Plus you don't have that $50 per month access fee.

To me, it just isn't worth it. Admittedly my view point is skewed. However, If you have the money and you don't need more that 200# of resistance, why not?

And you hit the nail on the head - it is a peloton for weights.
Class of '94
'03ag
The wife and I went to look at a demo of this yesterday. My main question was how smooth/natural would the weight feel. On that score it was very good. To me it felt like any other cable machine I've ever used at a gym. None of that jerky, non-linear weirdness you'd get from a bowflex type machine, or an inexpensive cable machine from Academy. It was really good.

Here's a good review that seems to be pretty fair. They go into good detail on why it's not quite "peloton for weight lifting" in terms of user experience. There's already a camera built into the machine, so it wouldn't surprise me if they offer more interactive features in the future. Especially the ability for someone to monitor your form via camera. Which I'm sure would cost more.

It's certainly going to appeal to non "gym people" like myself. I'm pushing 40, can't run as much as I'd like, and I just flat out NEED to be lifting. It's dumb that I'm not. But I'm also a pretty solid introvert. I hate the gym and really hate interacting with people while I'm there. I've got two kids under 4, and limited time/space at home. This thing targets people like me for sure.

I've only ever stuck with lifting for more than a couple of week, once in my life. Lasted about 3 months. Which naturally is also the only time I ever saw any real results from lifting. The Y had this computer that logged all your stuff and gave you workout plans down to rep and weight. That part I liked and helped keep me motivated, but I still felt aimless a lot of the time. The Tonal takes that to another level.

It's a lot of money, but like anything else, it's probably worth it if you use it a lot.

lb3
AG
Bumping b/c I've started seeing ads for this. I could never justify the price just like I can't wrap my head around paying as much for a Peloton stationary bike as for a nice carbon fiber road bike.

That said, I've worked with electronic cable machine prototypes for zero gravity use and like the technology. I wouldn't be surprised if Tonal is purchased by Peloton or run out of business by them in short order.
Bottlerocket
AG
That think looks pretty awesome. The monthly fee is a huge turnoff though.
To me, nothing can stimulate muscle growth like free weights. But, those can be hard to find. My issue with it is, for the price, there are plenty of free weights available out in the market now as things hopefully seem to be leveling out due to covid and I constantly get updates from manufacturers stating that products are back in stock. From barbells, to plates, to racks to dumbbells. So for what this costs, it would seem better to just get the real thing. And if fear of injury or the coaching is a problem, again, one can hire a coach online for less for whatever your goals might be. Plus Tonal has limits in terms of the amount of weight one can lift. In the end, I just cannot see how one could dead lift on this and get anywhere near the same positive results they would get with a barbell but the injury risk is still there, maybe more so with the Tonal as the bar can act as a mental and physical stimulation to proper range of motion that those handles just cannot provide. Remember, a barbell deadlift sits on you shins on the way up. To do it properly, the exact same range of motion must be followed and that alone and limit injuries. If one has a space issue and no gym access, I could see this as the best alternative to nothing, but I'd argue to save the money and lift real weights.

Keep in mind, I am a firm believer that muscle mass and good nutrition far out weigh cardio and endurance training for health benefits. Not that one shouldn't do some conditioning and endurance training, but that more muscle helps one burn fat more, look better and has certain secondary benefits for one's immune system then endurance training alone. Keep in mind though, I am a natural endurance athlete that can literally not do an ounce of conditioning for a year and lift weights (granted there is a conditioning element to weight training too) and pretty much pick up where I left off. I find weight training more challenging and interesting. Honestly, I was a skinny little **** when younger and learned to lift to put some size on me in my formative years and got hooked. I'd never want to look like a cyclist due to my on insecurities as much as anything else. So when I train, I want to get the most out of my genetic limitations and free weights give me that better than anything else.
JoeOlson
AG
Like anything, it's great if you use it. Can definitely see it being a nice motivator and I'm sure they'll keep building new classes and products.

If someone is already working out a ton and has their own home set, this is probably not the product. I can see this being great for someone in an apartment or who doesn't have room for a garage gym. The design looks pretty solid too
Capitol Ag
AG
JoeOlson said:

Like anything, it's great if you use it. Can definitely see it being a nice motivator and I'm sure they'll keep building new classes and products.

If someone is already working out a ton and has their own home set, this is probably not the product. I can see this being great for someone in an apartment or who doesn't have room for a garage gym. The design looks pretty solid too
Agree. For apartments, it might be the best option. For beginners, who use this to get into shape then transition to real, heavier weight relative to what this can train, its a good transition. If you already train pretty hard, you'll be disappointed but most of that demographic already realize that most likely.

Bottlerocket
AG
So, despite my comment my above, I did order one and it gets installed Monday. I'm pretty excited about it. I'll post updates when I get it.

I've learned from reddit that you have to patient when waiting on delivery. I ordered December 4 and the estimated ship week was February 15. It shipped right on time. It is frustrating that you MUST use their installer service (XPO) and I've read that XPO does fine installations but they can be a nightmare to schedule. They reached out when they received my tonal and scheduled delivery for Monday.
'03ag
Congrats! Our XPO install went just fine

Order 11/13. XPO received on 12/26. Installed in 1/6.

Wife and I both love it.
Shawdaddy
AG
Bottlerocket and '03, care to give a bit more of an update after using this for a month?
DoubleOught-BMA
AG
Bump. Interested in an update/review as well
Shawdaddy
AG
Okay, review time!

I ordered this several months ago, and have had it installed and been using it for a month now.

Cons:
- It takes a bit of getting used to, and I am still trying to learn where to position myself for different exercises so I don't beat my arms up with the cables too much.

- The weight on the machine does not translate well to free weights. I had some serious concerns that I would quickly max this machine out. Not going to happen any time soon.

- While the machine itself is very compact, it does need quite a bit of space all around to do the workouts.

Pros:
- I am using it. This is the most consistent I have been with a workout routine in quite some time.

- The "Personal Training" aspect. While you can do your own thing, there are plenty of workouts and programs (a set series of workouts that repeat). I appreciate being able to walk up to the machine, make a selection and go. I lifted a lot in high school and throughout college and then did crossfit for 5 years or so in my young adult life, but haven't worked out consistently in the last 7-8 years. I have a good free weight setup in the garage, but when I would use it I found myself doing the same things over and over and pretty much sticking to what I liked to do. The programs are pushing me much more than what I programmed for myself.

- Time. You can spend as much time as you want on the machine, with an endless variety of workouts, but you can also get one in quick. I have two young kids, and prioritize my time with them, so it is nice to be able to be working out in just a minute or two and then moving on with my day when it is done. It allows me to be opportunistic and grab a workout when I have the time, rather than having to plan it into my day.

- Its hard. I find myself being challenged in every workout. The machine tracks your weights and reps and stores them. If it thinks I am getting stronger, it ups the weight. No complacency.

I think the machine is ideal for someone who wants to lift, but doesn't have either the time and/or experience to program their own routines. It bridges the gap between going on your own and hiring a personal trainer. So far I am very happy with it, and will continue using it.

My wife has been very pleased with it as well. She uses a peloton as her primary workout (and has for some time) and this has almost completely replaced that for her. It also has her doing strength training seriously for the first time, and it is being done in a very approachable way.

Would not recommend for everyone, but it definitely fills the niche for the right folks.
ECC
AG
Any updates? Y'all still using it regularly?
Bottlerocket
AG
I love it. I absolutely love it. I use it 5-7 days per week. I've lost fat and gained muscle. I look better and feel better. My flexibility is vastly improved and periodic joint pain is gone. I haven't been this consistent on weights since I used the Rec Center at A&M. I really enjoy the programs offered. I've had zero problems with it as far as anything breaking or going buggy.

I love being able to get good strength training at home. It's incredibly convenient. I start a workout as soon as the kids eat breakfast and I can easily pause between sets to help with various things as they get ready for school and the resume my workout.

In short, I could not be happier with it
BBRex
AG
We had ours arrive last week. I've always been a bit inconsistent about working out, often blaming time and a lack of knowledge. I would go to the gym and spend a bit of time trying to figure out a plan. Now that I'm over 50 and have a part-time side gig in addition to my regular job, I just wasn't working out at all.

Tomorrow makes a week, and I've used it four days. It's really been helpful in starting a routine. I like that they have workouts of different durations so I can do a quick 21-minute workout of lunges, squats and deadlifts or 45-minutes plus of lower body work, depending on the time I have. I haven't tried a program yet, but I will have to do that soon. You can also custom build blocks from their list of exercises if you already have a routine you like.

Like the poster above said, finding the right setup so the cables don't rub your arms raw is an issue. And it can be difficult to judge your own form if you're doing something new. But overall it's been really good.
RangerRick9211
AG
I get a very generous health allowance from my firm. I usually spend it on bikes and bike stuff, but this time I got a Tonal.

It was installed in December. My use case: cycling is my primary activity (200 m/wk) on top of being a dad and working in M&A consulting. Lunches/random work calls and late nights are bike time. Mornings are the only time I can work in strength.

Tonal fits that bill well. Mines in the garage so I have room, but not enough for an rack and all the plates. I flip the Tonal on and don't think. Just push/pull and it does everything for me. No racking. No formulating a lift plan. It's just efficient.

I'm also a Strava ho thats into health data. It's another playground for that.
easttexasaggie04
AG
We've had ours since last October and love it.
tejas_ayanem
BoDog said:

I was all in until I saw Lefraud James was a spokesman....
I'd hate to be as fit as Lebron too.
RangerRick9211
AG
BoDog said:

tejas_ayanem said:

BoDog said:

I'd also hate to be as dumb as him....

Flagged for thread derail. You don't have a Tonal. You don't want one. F16 will welcome your Lebron takes with open arms.
tejas_ayanem
BoDog said:

tejas_ayanem said:

BoDog said:

I'd also hate to be as dumb as him....
It's an exercising machine, not the SAT test.
BQ2001
AG
How much was the install charge?
Dad
AG
BQ2001 said:

How much was the install charge?

I just went to the website and it is 3,000 for the machine, 500 for the extras you probably should get with the machine, 300 for installation, and another 300 for taxes (in TX) for a total if $4100. If you are a teacher, veteran, healthcare provider, or first responder it is $200 off but you have to prove it through a third party site. https://www.tonal.com/military-discount/

I'm probably going to order one today and I'll give an update when it comes in months from now.
cbminers
AG
Just ordered a Tonal over the weekend. Ship date is July 5th. I'll report back and look forward to following along in this thread.
cbminers
AG
cbminers said:

Just ordered a Tonal over the weekend. Ship date is July 5th. I'll report back and look forward to following along in this thread.
Install scheduled for Monday 6/20 - 18 days from order to install

Not Bad!
Dad
AG
I got mine installed today after about 7 weeks.

The first workout is the strength assessment. I scored higher than 60% of men and 99% of women. I'm hoping I can look back in 6 months and be in the 85th percentile for men. If not, I'll just change my gender so I can have elite strength for a woman.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Got one delivered Friday. This thing is awesome. Pricey but a complete game-changer for me

Sales are either slowing or supply chain is catching up, but I ordered on a Sunday and it was installed 12 days later.
BQ2001
AG
I just ordered one. Have been looking at them for a while and got a very unexpected bonus at work. Wife and I agreed it would be our Christmas present to each other too, so bonus. Another thing is I get to rearrange my office/basement guest bedroom which I have been wanting to do. Looks like it can be installed in about 3 weeks from initial emails. I've been doing mainly body weight stuff but I know as I get older I should be lifting more weights and my wife's dr suggested it for her too, her family has a history of bone density issues later in life.
amg405
AG
BQ2001 said:

I just ordered one. Have been looking at them for a while and got a very unexpected bonus at work. Wife and I agreed it would be our Christmas present to each other too, so bonus. Another thing is I get to rearrange my office/basement guest bedroom which I have been wanting to do. Looks like it can be installed in about 3 weeks from initial emails. I've been doing mainly body weight stuff but I know as I get older I should be lifting more weights and my wife's dr suggested it for her too, her family has a history of bone density issues later in life.

I posted this in another thread…

We had our Tonal installed this week and we love it. We both use it daily.

My wife uses the guided workouts, and I do custom workouts for the lifts that I want.

Deciding factor was that the resistance machine I wanted was professional/gym grade and not much more than the Tonal. I don't love the monthly fee (required for first 12 months) but my wife uses it for the workouts every day. I have always preferred resistance/cable lifts to free weights.

I haven't really found a lift I couldn't do that I wanted to do… obviously things like traditional squats are out but I was not interested in those anyway. The stat tracking and form feedback features are really pretty cool.
BQ2001
AG
Been really enjoying mine so far, just finishing the 20 in 20 for Runners to get me started. I've liked the program layout and it's been a quick ramp up to lifting again.
Random Ag
AG
Bumping for an update for those that have a Tonal. Considering purchasing.
BQ2001
AG
I've been doing it 3-4 times a week pretty regular since I got it in Dec. Super easy to use and I walk by it and know I can get a workout in. I have done a couple of their programs that I really liked and saw results.
I have been playing with doing my own workouts but going back to their preprogrammed ones. I didn't feel like I was doing as good as when I followed theirs. Overall been really happy. If you get it, get the smart accessories with it. Really nice to turn the weight on/off using those buttons.

My referral link if you want. Think you get $150 off.
https://fbuy.io/tonal/6wb375f6
DannyDuberstein
AG
Random Ag said:

Bumping for an update for those that have a Tonal. Considering purchasing.

Got it in September. 31 week streak and running, mostly 3-4x per week. I had a free weight home gym for years, but I've still seen very considerable strength and visible changes in 7 months with this. It's ability to constantly do slight progressions is huge to continuing to make gains (along with "smartflex" mode with adjusts the weight during a rep to maximize impact) . The variety of moves is huge. The ease and speed of use is huge - not having to eff with changing much keeps you moving thru a workout quickly.

Far and away the best money i've ever spent on workout related equipment.

I did a few programs and a number of one program workouts, but I am almost entirely doing custom workouts now. I'm nearing 50 years old, so I'm very careful about avoiding most lifts that compress the spine. The custom ability and the variety of options to work the same muscle group is fantastic
DannyDuberstein
AG
It had a 30 day free trial and the installer told me to keep the boxes just in case. After using it a week, I was so convinced this thing was awesome that I tossed the boxes without a second thought
Random Ag
AG
Thanks all. Anyone also look at the Vitruvian. Big difference seems to be around installation into studs. But feeling like it would be helpful to have the large video unit in front - it's been a long while since I have lifted weights so I feel like I need the live form modeling while doing it.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.