Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Entry level bike

887 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by RockOn
SJEAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

Any suggestions on an entry level road bike? I guess something preferably under 1k new? Basically looking at something to both casually ride with my family yet still use if/when I dive into triathalons.

I don't particularly want to go the used route as I don't know how to properly appraise/spot issues and I kind of hate the Craigslist scene. Although, if someone on TexAgs is selling I'd consider that. Else, I'll probably go to a local bike shop to just pick something out. Maybe Sugar Cycles in Sugar Land given their proximity if anyone knows their inventory.
htxag09
AG
I'd still recommend Craigslist. Entry level bikes drop in value like crazy. For the price of a new entry level bike, you can get a used carbon frame w/ upgraded components. ETA: You'll also need to buy pedals, saddlebags, tools, water cages, etc.; all of which are likely to be included in a used bike.

Do a little bit of research online to know what you're looking at on craigslist, then use bicycle blue book to get ballpark values. When I bought mine, I had them meet me at a Bike Barn and they did a pre-purchase inspection for free.

Having said that, if you do buy new; just go to the local shops and see what you like/what fits. Then wait for a sale; they happen a couple times a year, no reason to buy a bike at full purchase price.

As for looking on here; what size are you?
SJEAg
AG
Thanks

I'm 6'0, 165ish.
htxag09
AG
I have a road bike that's no longer being used as I've moved to a tri bike; but its' a 54cm; so too small for you.

Also, if you do see something you're interested in on the used market, don't be afraid to post it here. I did that a few times when I got my first road bike and this board helped a lot with value, what questions to ask, etc.
Na Zdraví 87
AG
I have a Specialized Secteur 58cm that I no longer ride. It's in good shape.
I'm 6' also.
SJEAg
AG
I'd be interested, but looks like you're near Austin...probably not going to work logistically. Thanks though!
Ragoo
AG
I bought a Specialized Allez carbon road bike for $450. Shimano 105 components. Nothing fancy.

For an idea of price point.
Aggie_Boomin 21
AG
Most entry level I can think of:

http://originalbigwheel.us/OriginalBigWheel16.html
RockOn
Facebook marketplace or the various facebook bicycle buy/sell/trade groups are the best!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.