Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Recommendations for good protein shake powder?

3,827 Views | 31 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by chaca5151
Txmoe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm looking for recommendations for a new protein shake powder. I'm just about to run out of the one I have and it's very expensive. Thought I'd look around and see what else is available.
Details:
  • Used primarily for meal replacement
  • Ideally between 100-150 calories
  • I like to use chocolate and vanilla
  • What I have has whey which I didn't like at first but now I actually prefer. So, would prefer whey but it's not a requirement.
Thanks in advance!
bigtruckguy3500
Standard protein powder isn't really great as a meal replacement, because it doesn't have fat/carbs/fiber/vitamins/etc that most real meals and meal replacement powders have. But if you want just the extra protein without all that, to cut calories, or whatever, then you've got a couple options. Unless you have stomach issues with one protein or the other, I wouldn't worry about whey isolate vs concentrate. I typically just do calculations on price per gram of protein and buy whatever is cheapest at the time, so long as it's a reputable brand.

Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% whey has been pretty popular since pretty much forever. It's a good protein powder, good quality, etc. Comes on sale pretty often.

Dymatize brand is also good stuff and good quality. I think it's from Texas too.

Myprotein is a british company, althought they recently opened a factory in the US. They've got good stuff as well. And all pretty cheap, lots of flavors.

And there are tons of other brands out there. I'd watch out for things like MuscleMilk, as it tends to be chock full of sugar and junk to make it taste good. I think even SixStar and Body Fortress protein at Walmart has a good ranking on labdoor.com.

A couple options for buying.
-Check slickdeals.net daily for a week or two (there's usually a good protein deal posted every few days).
-And/or go to labdoor.com and look at their protein rankings based off quality/price from their supposedly independent tests.
-Check out either bodybuilding.com or amazon.com for good deals. GNC will price match them, I believe
-If you want to go with myprotein, if you use this link when you purchase you'll get 30% off and I'll get a couple bucks credit - http://bit.ly/texagsmyprotein (sorry if I'm not supposed to post referral links, mods)

Edit: I forgot to mention the VitaminShoppe BodyTech Pro whey protein. It's basically a clone of ON Gold standard 100% whey. They may even be made at the same facility is what I've heard. But it is cheaper. Tastes pretty good as well.
Hoosegow
Optimum Nutrition
bert harbinson
AG
I've been happy with Syntha-6. More calories than you're looking for (200 I think). Has a little fat, low sugar. Vanilla ice cream flavor mixed with milk tastes really good. There is a fair amount of gas production about 4 hours later. I've seen it at Academy, but Amazon sells it for less.
Ag12thman
AG
I really like Jym brand. Not sure where you can get it, but I have gotten it from GNC. Very tasty and good results.
95_Aggie
AG
I recently had bariatric surgery and have tried almost every brand. The only one that still tastes good is Premier Protein.

Expensive but worth it.
Ag12thman
AG
I haven't tried that one. Where do you usually purchase it?
95_Aggie
AG
Kroger, Amazon, Sam's Club ... Walgreen's if you're in a hurry.

I buy the pre-made shakes. Never tried the powder.
culdeus
AG
FWIW I was a ON Whey Gold on the daily for 10+ years. Developed a dairy allergy perhaps in part due to the whey supplements, who knows. Had to give it up and still in search of a non whey based powder that doesn't taste like ass.

Obviously I could have simply developed a dairy allergy on my own, but it's still annoying AF.
Ag12thman
AG
Has anyone tried the one Beach Body makes? I can't remember the name of it right now.
culdeus
AG
Ag12thman said:

Has anyone tried the one Beach Body makes? I can't remember the name of it right now.
If you want to pay a 500% markup on stuff have at it. Shakeology.

FWIW they have made so much damn money on that stuff they have for all intents stopped putting out video content and are basically a full time MLM scam.
Ezra Brooks
AG
I use the Central Market powder and am pleased with it. Admittedly, I haven't tried any other brands though.

I am on the search for a protein powder that isn't "shakey". Meaning, I'd like a flavor that isn't more creamy and would mix with water better. I currently mix with low-fat milk.

I have tried this Protein Water and really like it, but I'd rather not pay $3 per 16oz serving.
Ag12thman
AG
Wow - didn't realize it was that expensive. No thanks.
O.G.
Eat The Bear is the cleanest that I have found. Its available online and at HEB.

https://etbfit.com/
viper14
AG
I think you are thinking of Shakeology? - good stuff
Presley OBannons Sword
Hoosegow said:

Optimum Nutrition

Best bang for your buck all day e'ery day
Presley OBannons Sword
viper14 said:

I think you are thinking of Shakeology? - good stuff

I'm guessing you or your spouse sell it?
P.U.T.U
AG
Amazon has Optimum on sale for 40-50% off around once a month. Put that money away in case you get a case of the protein farts and your significant other wants a divorce.
BQ2001
AG
I mix ON Malt Chocolate with water and ice and I think it tastes great. Tried that with vanilla too but I didn't think it was as good with water.

Ezra Brooks said:

I use the Central Market powder and am pleased with it. Admittedly, I haven't tried any other brands though.

I am on the search for a protein powder that isn't "shakey". Meaning, I'd like a flavor that isn't more creamy and would mix with water better. I currently mix with low-fat milk.

I have tried this Protein Water and really like it, but I'd rather not pay $3 per 16oz serving.
Txmoe
AG
culdeus said:

FWIW I was a ON Whey Gold on the daily for 10+ years. Developed a dairy allergy perhaps in part due to the whey supplements, who knows. Had to give it up and still in search of a non whey based powder that doesn't taste like ass.

Obviously I could have simply developed a dairy allergy on my own, but it's still annoying AF.

I'm curious if you tried the ON egg-based powder which they tout as a non dairy product. Was actually thinking about starting with that one.
chaca5151
Hands down Cellucor has the best protein on the market!
Not everyone gets the same version of me. One person might tell you I have an amazing beautiful soul. Another might tell you I’m a cold-hearted a$$^ole. Believe them both. I don’t treat people badly. I treat them accordingly - unknown
91AggieLawyer
AG
I can't comment on it vs. too many others, but I use ProMix unflavored on Amazon. I mix it into my smoothie and don't even taste it. I used Muscle Milk for a whilte but it intermittantly upset my stomach and could be a little too rich.
BMF_AG95
AG
On my first bag of shakeology chocolate. Like it but would like something cheaper. Using as meal replacement in the morning. I didn't eat a big breakfast prior to the shakes. Any suggestions on a good replacement that is cheaper? Just getting into shakes and is easy to get into information overload.
Bradley.Kohr.II
AG
In the long-long ago, I liked ironmind's powder.

When I get back to SC, I can see what the protein percentage is on our commercial whey samples I have hanging around.

Also, if enough of y'all are interested, I could buy caseinate and whey, commercially, and divvy it up and send it out. It would be sporadic - would have to come in on occasion, tossed on top of other orders, and I'd have to buy 50# at a time.
Max Power
AG
I've tried a ton of different protein powders and my favorite has been Orgain vegan protein powder, chocolate. I've done whey, egg, and vegan. Egg powder was great as it made me feel full for longer, if you're specifically going for meal replacement look for that. But you can also add pasteurized raw eggs to protein shakes and get the same effect, doesn't taste weird at all if mixed well enough.
agcivengineer
AG
I use Dymatize ISO 100 and like it. I order on amazon.
Diet Cokehead
AG
All of the Quest Protein powders taste damn good and mix well with water. My favorites are Peanut Butter and Cookies and Cream.
Matsui
AG
https://www.gardenoflife.com/content/product/why-choose-raw-protein-and-greens/

what i use about $30

It tastes very good just mixed with ice and water
javanero
AG
I've used Nutrition 53 Lean one for a few years now. Great meal replacement and have not had any issues. They use this stuff at Smoothie King. You can get it for half the price directly from Nutrition 53
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
I use and like IsoPure. Have a couple 3 lb tubs delivered on subscribe and save from Amazon monthly.

http://a.co/d/iAVEeZM
Ag12thman
AG
BMF_AG95 said:

On my first bag of shakeology chocolate. Like it but would like something cheaper. Using as meal replacement in the morning. I didn't eat a big breakfast prior to the shakes. Any suggestions on a good replacement that is cheaper? Just getting into shakes and is easy to get into information overload.
What did you pay? Just curious as I've always wanted to try Shakeology.
ommama
chaca5151 said:

Hands down Cellucor has the best protein on the market!
I have to completely disagree. While Cellucor has some awesome products, their protein powder is the worst I have ever had. I could get it for free and still would not drink it.

chaca5151
Really? What is it you don't like about it?
Not everyone gets the same version of me. One person might tell you I have an amazing beautiful soul. Another might tell you I’m a cold-hearted a$$^ole. Believe them both. I don’t treat people badly. I treat them accordingly - unknown
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.