Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Any other Zero Carbers in here?

11,754 Views | 72 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by Tex117
Cry Yer Pardon Gunslinger
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I've been eating a zero carb diet for about 18 months now and am absolutely in love with the way of eating. Does anyone else partake?
bam02
AG
Carnivore diet?
bam02 said:

Carnivore diet?
Not quite carnivore; I eat dairy. Dr.Shawn Baker is a huge inspiration though; his twitter was what got me into the lifestyle.
94chem
What's not to like about steak with Parmesan cheese for every meal?
wbt5845
AG
I just listened to a podcast from that doctor. Pretty crazy. Not sure I'd be ok with that plan.
wbt5845 said:

I just listened to a podcast from that doctor. Pretty crazy. Not sure I'd be ok with that plan.
It's funny, but I think so much of our aversion to the "eat meat" diet is just due to poor information and our conditioning to rely on the food pyramid which is responsible for a huge portion of the obesity in this country right now.

One of my favorite experiments was "The 30 day Bacon diet" some dude ate only bacon for every meal for 30 days straight.

He lost 19.6 pounds; his blood pressure dropped by 30 points and his cholesterol and liver markers are great. There's now a 3000 member strong facebook group performing the same diet with similar results. Really interesting stuff

https://ketogasm.com/the-bacon-experiment-interview/

What results did you see?

Dan: The biggest and most unexpected change was losing so much body fat in the 30 days. I lost 19.6 pounds by the end of the month and ate 60 pounds of bacon during that same time! Crazy right? My energy was good the entire time and my doctor was quite impressed with my blood work. I had a complete blood panel done before and after this experiment. My blood pressure dropped 30 points, my cholesterol numbers looked good, and my liver markers were perfect. My Dr. told me, "Keep doing whatever it is that you're doing because it's working!" I still eat bacon most days for breakfast.
ramblin_ag02
AG
Glad it's working for you, but low carb diets aren't that healthy. Compared to the horrible average American diet maybe, but that's a really low bar. Now there are freak people that can eat whatever they want and never get heart disease or cholesterol issues, and maybe your bacon guy is one of those. There are plenty of documented cases of people basically eating tons of cholesterol and saturated fat and having normal or even excellent blood work. But that's not typical.

The food pyramid thing was mostly government propaganda for the food industry from the start. No modern doctor is basing recommendations on those (I hope). Year in, year out studies show the Mediterranean and DASH diets are the healthiest for the average person.

I do advise my type 2 diabetics to do low carb, and zero carb works great for seizure control. And any controlled diet is better than none
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
94chem
Meat is one thing; bacon is another. I would advise that if you decide to eat nothing but meat for a month, try not to eat processed meat like bacon. Even if you get healthier short-term, you've basically loaded yourself up with a ticking cancer bomb.
wbt5845
AG
I have done keto for the last year and had great results. I think the vegetables are a big part of getting sufficient nutrition. 100% beef every meal just seems over the top.

There's a lot more to health than just losing weight.
RightWingConspirator
AG
I've been doing low carb now for the last 12 years. No ill- health effects whatsoever, but I do struggle to maintain weight.
bigtruckguy3500
So absolutely no fruits/vegetables/nuts?
bigtruckguy3500 said:

So absolutely no fruits/vegetables/nuts?
absolutely zero. I haven't had a vegetable or fruit or nut, or legume, or anything that's not meat or dairy for about a year and a half.
wbt5845 said:

I have done keto for the last year and had great results. I think the vegetables are a big part of getting sufficient nutrition. 100% beef every meal just seems over the top.

There's a lot more to health than just losing weight.
I get that, but my overall health is great too, I'm still young but my numbers are perfect. I get a mini "human dry-dock" once a year; and am healthy as a horse.
bigtruckguy3500
Interesting. Any constipation? Are your stools like soft logs or hard marbles? Sorry, but I'm curious. Do you take a multivitamin on top of it? How many meals do you eat daily?
bigtruckguy3500 said:

Interesting. Any constipation? Are your stools like soft logs or hard marbles? Sorry, but I'm curious. Do you take a multivitamin on top of it? How many meals do you eat daily?
no constipation, quite the opposite because of the high fat content. No multivitamin and I pretty much eat 2 meals a day; not to purposefully fast or anything; I just don't like to eat breakfast. If I'm somewhere where breakfast is served; I'll eat an egg and cheese omelette with some bacon and sausage.

You don't really suffer from the lack of vitamin c or plant-based carbohydrates; I think there have been a few studies shown mainly regarding the inuit, and a guy who lived with the inuit and only ate fish, regular meat and organ meat; and had zero deficiencies.

bigtruckguy3500
I do love eggs. Although I like them more with salsa or guacamole.

How long did it take you to get used to this diet? I think I might try it, just to see what effect it has on me. After all, I heard about intermittent fasting on this board, and adopted it with great success going on about 6 years now.
94chem
If you have good genes, you can eat anything until age 25.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Hmmm. I couldn't live without pizza every once in a while.
94chem
http://nutritionstudies.org/masai-and-inuit-high-protein-diets-a-closer-look/

Anybody up for consuming only beer and Cheetos? I'm sure we can find a gifted 19 year old to prove it works.
Elephant Tears
Disclaimer!!!!!!: I do not claim to be a health professional and I am not near as educated in that as most of you. However, if something works I find it asinine to say it's unhealthy just because someone told us it is by regurgitating flawed data from epidemiological studies (which are a complete joke and should not be considered science).

I'm doing Zero carb. It's a funny thing, I have been doing no vegetables or fruit for years but I always had bread, and lots of it. A month ago I decided to trust the info I've been reading and decided to cut carbs all the way out....except for my weekend beer drinking.

So far, I have lost 21 lbs in 3 weeks and have not felt this good since high school. My energy levels are up, I fall asleep faster and sleep deeper, my blood pressure has come down to healthy levels, bad cholesterol is down, triglycerides are great, stool is much more consistent and less painful, inflammation in my joints have virtually disappeared. But out of everything, the biggest pro to me has been my increased cognitive function. I think more clearly and problem solve more efficiently than I believe I ever have.

I completely Understand how crazy it sounds to eat nothing but meat, but it's working. And I believe it only sounds crazy because of the lies we've been fed our whole lives about a "balanced diet".....it's all complete BS. Fiber is not necessary, vegetables are not necessary, and cholesterol is not affected by saturated fats. If anything, processed carbohydrates have a much bigger impact on cholesterol than everything else combined.

Now I will cover for the incoming.
Elephant Tears
94chem said:

http://nutritionstudies.org/masai-and-inuit-high-protein-diets-a-closer-look/

Anybody up for consuming only beer and Cheetos? I'm sure we can find a gifted 19 year old to prove it works.

I am well into my 30's and I am seeing great benefits from a meat and some cheese only diet. To each their own I guess.
94chem
Exactly. I would say practice it but don't preach it. Every situation is unique. If you are morbidly obese, practically any disciplined diet will bring improvements. And certainly the government lied to us about saturated fat, HDL cholesterol, trans-fat, HFCS, salt, and the food pyramid. But using a population that has a 15 year lower life expectancy than national average in Canada, or another tribal group that walks 20 miles/day as our examples to roll out en masse is just a bad idea...even if the diet were remotely economically sustainable. I can take Ambien and not even get sleepy, and pop caffeine pills before bedtime, while someone else might get heart palpitations from a 5 hour energy. Diet is best studied among populations, and not isolated freaks.
bruno319
AG
For you zero carbers, but mention dairy, do you just mean cheese? Regular whole milk has about 8 g carbs per glass, though I've seen it referred to as a non-carbohydrate food. What about plain greek yogurt? Is that something you include in your diet?

I'm wanting to start a diet and lose weight and have actually been looking at Atkins. That still includes vegetables and then add in fruit, etc, over time. Thanks for sharing!

I've recently started drinking smoothies a couple times a week, and sometimes premade EAS carb control shakes because I'm horrible about ever eating breakfast. Otherwise, no regimented formalized diet plan. Low-carb was recommended to me and breakfast to get the metabolism going.
Elephant Tears
Just cheese for me. And I really don't have much of it. Just a slice here and a sprinkle there.
bruno319
bigtruckguy3500
Elephant Tears said:

I completely Understand how crazy it sounds to eat nothing but meat, but it's working. And I believe it only sounds crazy because of the lies we've been fed our whole lives about a "balanced diet".....it's all complete BS. Fiber is not necessary, vegetables are not necessary, and cholesterol is not affected by saturated fats. If anything, processed carbohydrates have a much bigger impact on cholesterol than everything else combined.
I'd be careful with blanketing out that claim right there. It's true that more data is showing that in most people, increased saturated fat intake is not associated with adverse elevations in dietary lipids. However there are a few caveats to that. Some people are simply genetically predisposed to metabolize and store fats and dietary cholesterol differently than others. Additionally, as 94chem pointed out, we have to look at population level data, not anecdotes. The mediterranean diet wins this one based on data that is out there. Right now we don't have sufficient data on long term low carb/no carb diets to make population level claims.
Elephant Tears
You're right. I should have ended that sentence with "the way we have been told it has". My bad.
Elephant Tears
And for the rest of your statement, I believe you just proved my point. There is not enough data to say zero carb is the answer but there damn sure isn't enough to say that it isn't.
Elephant Tears
bruno319 said:

and breakfast to get the metabolism going.

By the way, I believe this statement to be false. Do your own research and make your own conclusions, but to me, eating breakfast does nothing more than cause your body to burn the food you have started eating for the day and crave more instead of burning stored fat. Obviously, that is not what you would want in a weight loss "diet".
rilloaggie
AG
I am glad it works for you guys...but dang it sounds freaking miserable. I have been doing keto for a month and starting to see decent results so I definitely can appreciate sticking to a strict diet. That said, I had a slice of king cake yesterday and it was so very delicious. I am going to run a few more miles than I planned this morning and not feel too bad about it.
wbt5845
AG
Interesting discussion. I too did keto for several months last year and lost a lot of weight. I have been back on what I call a "balanced" diet this month prepping for my half marathon tomorrow and have maintained my weight loss.

Starting Sunday, I go back on keto to shake the last 15 pounds I've been wanting to lose. As long as I'm losing weight on keto, I don't think I'll try this carnivore diet. Sounds pricey and I'm LOL poor.
Post removed:
by user
bigtruckguy3500 said:

I do love eggs. Although I like them more with salsa or guacamole.

How long did it take you to get used to this diet? I think I might try it, just to see what effect it has on me. After all, I heard about intermittent fasting on this board, and adopted it with great success going on about 6 years now.
It didn't take me long to get used to the diet; there are some suboptimal bowel movements in the first week or so, but after that everything starts to shake itself out.

I love meat so eating shrimp, and bacon and chicken wings and hamburger steak and hamsteak and filet mignon doesn't get old for me; but I can understand why it would for someone.

One thing that needs to be known is that zero carb is actually a bit of a misnomer; it's really zero non-animal carb. Animal meats still have some carbs in them glycogen especially if they're fresh, same with some cheeses. That's no big deal; it's essentially a no-plant based carbohydrate diet; it's just called "zero carb" to make it easy.
AgEng06
AG
Cry Yer Pardon Gunslinger said:

It didn't take me long to get used to the diet; there are some suboptimal bowel movements in the first week or so, but after that everything starts to shake itself out.
AgFan131
Elephant Tears said:

Disclaimer!!!!!!: I do not claim to be a health professional and I am not near as educated in that as most of you. However, if something works I find it asinine to say it's unhealthy just because someone told us it is by regurgitating flawed data from epidemiological studies (which are a complete joke and should not be considered science).

I'm doing Zero carb. It's a funny thing, I have been doing no vegetables or fruit for years but I always had bread, and lots of it. A month ago I decided to trust the info I've been reading and decided to cut carbs all the way out....except for my weekend beer drinking.

So far, I have lost 21 lbs in 3 weeks and have not felt this good since high school. My energy levels are up, I fall asleep faster and sleep deeper, my blood pressure has come down to healthy levels, bad cholesterol is down, triglycerides are great, stool is much more consistent and less painful, inflammation in my joints have virtually disappeared. But out of everything, the biggest pro to me has been my increased cognitive function. I think more clearly and problem solve more efficiently than I believe I ever have.

Now I will cover for the incoming.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.