Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Rowing Distance versus Running Distance Equivalency

2,359 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by AggieChemist
sims05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Bought a rower over the summer to use for cross training. I had to use on day one of marathon training due to lightning. I was curious what people used for distance equivalencies. I'm sure some of it depends on what you want in the workout. It looked like CrossFit uses 500 meters of rowing to 400 meters of running.

I'm thinking the best way to do it would be to check heart rate ranges during various running efforts. Then match the heart rate on the rower while matching the typical length of time the run I am replacing would take.
Sooner Born
Just my opinion but I wouldn't sub a running day for a rower day. I would just say it was a cross train day and still run the prescribed amount this week.
Walter Kovacs
AG
Depends on the rowing intensity. A 500 meter sprint row may be like running a competitive 800m or it could be like me checking the mail. Watch the heart.
slacker00
AG
Rowing has been shown to produce a lower heart rate than running at the same blood lactate concentration and at max efforts.

I'd suggest using 5-10 bpm less for a comparative heart rate while rowing if that's the route you plan on taking.
dcl0715
AG
Like anything else, attempting to create an equivalency for two disparate exercises is very difficult. However, rowing 500m should be more difficult than running 400m. A 400m 'sprint' should take you right around 1:00. A 500m sprint should take, at least, 1:25...and that's only for those that are very strong rowers.
AggieChemist
AG
500 m row takes me 2:00 at moderate effort.

400 m run takes me 2:00 at moderate effort.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.