Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Gopro capturing a car hitting a cyclist

5,321 Views | 95 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by CapCity12thMan
bmks270
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Doesn't matter if you had the right of way when you're dead or in the hospital. That's why I think road cycling is dumb. And the cycling groups are soooooo annoying always hogging a lane in morning traffic with no bike lane.

This driver was certainly a jerk. I always give cyclists a ton of room because I don't want to injure anyone but I do get mighty frustrated sometimes.
Pendragon12
AG
Not a cyclist.

But at the end of they day they are human beings who have a right to the road as much as I do. Period. These people hitting cyclists because "they annoy them" need to be thrown in jail across the country.

Is it annoying to be trailing behind someone going that much slower? Of course. But there are plenty of cars that annoy me and I don't just clip them to show who's right.
chipotle
Pendragon12 said:

they are human beings who have a right to the road as much as I do. Period.

Do they pay a gas tax, license or registration fees? How about liability insurance?
Phat32
AG
chipotle said:

Pendragon12 said:

Do they pay a gas tax, license or registration fees? How about liability insurance?
I'm sure they all own vehicles, so yes, they do.
Pendragon12
AG
chipotle said:

Pendragon12 said:

Even if they don't, they are still people. Them being on a bike doesn't make them lesser and therefore justify trying to assault them.

There's a guy who walks down a busy (non elevated) highway with no shoulder that I see nearly every morning. I find that pretty stupid. Even so, the man doesn't deserve to be clipped by a car whether I think it's stupid or not.

Edit - and bikes ARE vehicles. So yes, they have a right to use the road.
Hoosegow
You have the right to walk any street in America at any time without getting jumped or mugged.

Having said that there are places I don't belong.
Class of '94
MooreTrucker
AG
chipotle said:

Pendragon12 said:

Yep
MooreTrucker
AG
Hoosegow said:

You have the right to walk any street in America at any time without getting jumped or mugged.

Having said that there are places I don't belong.
True, but one has nothing to do wit the other....unless you are comparing the drivers of these cars to muggers. Then yeah, quite comparable.
Hoosegow
No - just because riders have the right to ride on all streets doesn't mean they should. And if they do, there should be some expectation of increased risk of getting hurt.
Class of '94
CrockerAg98
AG
Quote:

No - just because riders have the right to ride on all streets doesn't mean they should. And if they do, there should be some expectation of increased risk of getting hurt.
Agreed. And yet, this was still a clear attempt to injure the cyclist. Increased expectation of being hurt? okay. Expect to be intentionally targeted by a road raging driver? No. That's ridiculous. No excuse for what the driver did. Especially having just watched another car go around the two cyclists.

Again, that particular road has signage encouraging cyclists, signage stating their right to take the entire lane, just as a car would, and, again, is NOT the fast way to get anywhere.
Hoosegow
the only point I can disagree with is if a cyclist holds up traffic, they have to expect higher feelings of road rage from motorists.

It's not right, but it is reality.
Class of '94
Endo Ag
AG
Your comments say more about you than any cyclist.

Look within, brother.
htxag09
AG
Whelp I think staff can go ahead and nuke this thread...lasted longer than the H-Town board at least.
AggieOO
chipotle said:

Pendragon12 said:

i hope you don't have any kids that like riding their bikes up and down your street.
Na Zdraví 87
AG
I ride a road bike. I do not ride on heavily traveled roads or highways with shoulders. I am lucky that I live out in the country and can ride paved county roads with little traffic. My worst fear is getting hit by a car from the rear. I wear a rear view mirror on my helmet so I can watch for cars coming up behind me. At least if they are coming at me, I have time to hit the ditch. The road I ride on cars only go about 30mph at the most.
Farmer1906
AG
AggieOO said:

chipotle said:

Pendragon12 said:

i hope you don't have any kids that like riding their bikes up and down your street.

Becayse that is the same
88planoAg
AG
aggie1906 said:

AggieOO said:

chipotle said:

Pendragon12 said:

Becayse that is the same
Not the same, no.

But if you are really wanting to have this convo.....

License and registration for cyclists:

First question is why? If it is to manage all the rampaging cyclists who run red lights and stoplights, you know that is already illegal, right? Cyclists who do this get stopped and ticketed just the same as any other vehicle. And as discussed in this thread, riding 2 abreast or claiming the lane IS LEGAL depending on the circumstances. The license and registration process will not prevent this from happening.

Not that? Road usage fees? Cyclists don't tear up roadways, but ok, pay to use - lets have that conversation....

Ok, where? who does bike inspections? How much bureaucracy are you wanting to add? How often should the bikes be inspected? What exactly are the inspectors looking for? Because I'm sure so many accidents are caused by improperly maintained bikes....

And the cops will pull over cyclists who don't have this done, right? And ticket them?

Should there be a practical test for licensure? How does that work....bike cop rides beside cyclist? No? Then just a written test....who administers? How much does this cost to legislate and regulate?

And to the quoted point - what bikes are subject to this tax? not kids, ok, 12? Do cops pull over a questionable looking kid, to check how old they are? 16? Again, why, exactly??

If this were a thing, I'd get my family's 7 bikes registered and go through licensure just to shut down this argument. So now I'm out there all properly taxed and licensed. Is that better? HOW?
MooreTrucker
AG
I think the thing is that folks in cars don't run red lights or roll through stop signs like us a-hole cyclists do. And when we do, we never get caught or get a ticket for it.

Oh yeah, and we ride slower than cars so we're an inconvenience that need to be done away with. Because we're not actually people.
Farmer1906
AG
MooreTrucker said:

I think the thing is that folks in cars don't run red lights or roll through stop signs like us a-hole cyclists do. And when we do, we never get caught or get a ticket for it.

Oh yeah, and we ride slower than cars so we're an inconvenience that need to be done away with. Because we're not actually people.
Finally, someone else gets it.
Pendragon12
AG
aggie1906 said:

AggieOO said:

chipotle said:

Pendragon12 said:

Becayse that is the same

It definitely is similar. If they are on a public street, which many neighborhoods are, then how are they any different than a road cyclist using a public street?

Kids are probably riding, what? 5-10 mph in a 30? Road guys probably 10-15 in a 60? Both are going between 20-25% of posted speed limit, and in fact the kids are probably breaking more laws than a typical road cyclist because they are more likely to ride erratically.

Road cycling IS inherently a more dangerous activity than walking or running on a sidewalk, but just because it has increased risk doesn't mean that road cyclists don't have rights and should be treated as less than human.
Farmer1906
AG
Reading this a mostly unbiased observer, the pro cyclist people make it really hard to be on your side.
MooreTrucker
AG
aggie1906 said:

Reading this a mostly unbiased observer, the pro cyclist people make it really hard to be on your side.
Why?
88planoAg
AG
aggie1906 said:

Why?
txags92
AG
MooreTrucker said:

Yeah, it would be easier to hate motorists if they actually broke the law once in a while by rolling a stop sign or drove erratically blocking traffic while reading their phones or something like that. But since every motorist out there exactly obeys every traffic law and is courteous to every other driver on the road, it is easy to hate on all cyclists because a few of them actually don't obey the law from time to time.
AggieOO
MooreTrucker said:

aggie1906 said:

Why?
b/c the OP wants to dislike cyclists. that's why. There's no changing anyone's mind who is on the other side. We are an inconvenience for cars, costing them precious seconds, possible a minute in extreme cases. That's absolutely unacceptable.
JDCAG (NOT Colin)
AG
aggie1906 said:

I've never ridden a bike more than a few miles and drive all the time and I don't get this at all.

A cyclist that, combined with his bike, probably weighs about 200 lbs got nailed by somebody in an SUV that probably weights 4,000-6,000 lbs and some of y'alls response to this is "well, he doesn't pay gas taxes"? I'm 100% convinced that some of you guys would plow over a kid crossing the street outside of a crosswalk just to teach him a lesson. It's absurd.

What is wrong with people?
chipotle
JDCAG (NOT Colin) said:

I'm 100% convinced that some of you guys would plow over a kid crossing the street outside of a crosswalk just to teach him a lesson.

Phat32
AG
FreeLunch
AG
Here are some facts:
1) The guy is not riding during rush hour nor on a crowded street.
2) He's riding on a bicycle designated route.
3) Within the 24 seconds or so of the video, only 2 cars are seen.
4) He isn't breaking any laws (within the video) and gets hit by a car that leaves the scene.

Somehow, people equate this situation to an idiot guy riding his bike on I-35 or walking on a highway.
MooreTrucker
AG
OK, so what's the excuse for this guy?

Pickup swerves across into oncoming lane, takes out cyclists

AggieOO
MooreTrucker said:

let me count the ways:

- riding 2 abreast
- riding too slow
- riding on a road with no shoulder
- riding a bike
- not paying taxes for that road
- no bicycle license
- wearing gay spandex
MooreTrucker
AG
AggieOO said:

MooreTrucker said:

let me count the ways:

- riding 2 abreast
- riding too slow
- riding on a road with no shoulder
- riding a bike
- not paying taxes for that road
- no bicycle license
- wearing gay spandex
LOL, that pretty much sums up the thread alright.
RedlineAg08
I don't understand why they can't just ride a stationary bike... the pedallers get to
pedal safely and the motorists don't have to wait for their slow asses. Everyone's happy!
P.U.T.U
AG
One of the reasons I stopped doing triathlons was I was doing all my rides on a trainer. Put it this way, towards the end there were times I would have rather had a testicle slip out and get caught in a spoke than to keep riding inside.

I can see a lot more and discover more things riding faster.
MooreTrucker
AG
RedlineAg08 said:

I don't understand why they can't just ride a stationary bike... the pedallers get to
pedal safely and the motorists don't have to wait for their slow asses. Everyone's happy!
LOL...you get WAY too sweaty cycling indoors. Cycling creates its own wind.

Duh.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.