Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Beginner Tri

2,422 Views | 41 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Kool
Ragoo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
also, need advice on where to purchase a used road bike and what to look for.

thanks
Kool
AG
AggieNinetyNine said:

Unless you want to feel like you are pulling a parachute through the water I would suggest at least some tri-shorts. I just started training for and doing tri's this year and the first time in the pool I just wore regular shorts and the resistance going through the water was very noticeable. I switched to jammers for training and it made a huge difference. The tri-shorts will be better on the bike too than running shorts since they won't ride up and there is a little padding.
Any particular features to look for in swim jammers and/or tri suits? Not rich but not poor, and I have no clothing for the event at this time. I want to get something to use during the summer to train at the pool (jammers I guess) but the sprint tri I will be doing will be in a lake in north Georgia at the end of September, so I could definitely run into some cold(er) water by then.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
agcivengineer
AG
I train in compression shorts for swimming.
P.U.T.U
AG
Jammers are fine for sprint tris as long as they do not rub too much while running or biking. What size are you? I may have some old tri stuff I can send you
Kool
AG
5'9" and 170 but dropping down to my "fighting weight" of 165 hopefully. I have a big ass, but I'm pretty sure it's all muscle
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
AggieNinetyNine
AG
Kool said:

AggieNinetyNine said:

Unless you want to feel like you are pulling a parachute through the water I would suggest at least some tri-shorts. I just started training for and doing tri's this year and the first time in the pool I just wore regular shorts and the resistance going through the water was very noticeable. I switched to jammers for training and it made a huge difference. The tri-shorts will be better on the bike too than running shorts since they won't ride up and there is a little padding.
Any particular features to look for in swim jammers and/or tri suits? Not rich but not poor, and I have no clothing for the event at this time. I want to get something to use during the summer to train at the pool (jammers I guess) but the sprint tri I will be doing will be in a lake in north Georgia at the end of September, so I could definitely run into some cold(er) water by then.
I have some Speedo Endurance+ jammers that are great. I've been swimming twice a week (mostly) since February and they have held up well and haven't stretched out. Note they run pretty small as I can wear a 30 in pants and had to get a 34. For tri-suits your best bet might be to go to a local tri-shop if there is one around and look at what they have so you can try it on since you want the smallest stuff you can fit into. I'd get the best shorts you can afford because you will end up wearing them a lot when training, especially if you don't have any dedicated bike shorts for cycling. I've got 2XU tri-shorts and top and am happy with them, but they are kind of pricey. If you have a USAT membership you can get 25% off 2XU apparel.
Kool
AG
Very helpful, thank you
Kool
AG
Excited (and a little nervous) about my first tri, a sprint, this weekend on Sunday. I started training at the beginning of the summer, and dropped from 175 down to 155 (5'9"). Really excited about that, if nothing else. My real goals for the race are to not drown and to not wreck my bike. Given that the race is Sunday, when and what do folks recommend for the last workout? I am swimming aprs work today, so Thursday or Friday would have to be only a run or a bike. Thanks in advance,
K
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.