Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Beginner Tri

2,404 Views | 41 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Kool
Ragoo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I am getting ready to sign up for my first sprint tri.

The swim portion is in the Guadalupe river. This portion of the river is fed from canyon lake and is generally pretty chilly. Will I need a wetsuit? I was planning on just wearing my running shorts during the entire event and buzz through the transitions by just putting my shoes on.

Any advice?
wcb
AG
What time of year? If summer you'll probably be fine.

As far as what to wear, I highly recommend a tri suit. I went into my first tri thinking I'd just change in T1/T2. I had no idea what I was doing. I happened to watch two buddies do one the day before mine. After watching them (and realizing there were no changing rooms in T1/T2) I headed to Waco, walked into the expo, and bought the cheapest tri suit I could find. No regrets.

I also did that one on a mountain bike. Almost gave up 100 yds into the swim. Lots of memories from that first one. Seven years later still loving it.

Good luck. You'll have a blast.
Dill-Ag13
AG
What's your budget? Long-term interest? for my first two tris I wore swim jammers for the swim and threw on a tight-fit dry fit shirt in t1. If you've got $$$ I'd second the tri suit
Ragoo
AG
It is in a couple of weeks.

Budget, trying to be a poor about it. I had intended to wear flimsy running shorts to swim in, then grab my mountain bike that I have swapped aggressive tread for more street tires and do so wearing my ghost 9 runnning shoes dropping the bike and running to finish.

I want to be as minimalistic about it as possible and see if i want to do more before spending much more money.
emando2000
AG
If you're doing the one in New Braunfels be careful in the swim. My friends did that one a few years back. I saw a lot of people diving to start the swim and the water was only a few feet deep. They ended up walking a few feet until it got deeper. You don't need a wet suit.
wcb
AG
Ragoo said:

Then I'd probably recommend a wetsuit. Not mandatory (especially given that it's a sprint) but may make your life less miserable for 10 minutes.

What's your height / weight? I'd be glad to loan you a tri suit if we're anywhere close. Same for a wetsuit assuming your race isn't May 21. ;-)
Ragoo
AG
emando2000 said:

If you're doing the one in New Braunfels be careful in the swim. My friends did that one a few years back. I saw a lot of people diving to start the swim and the water was only a few feet deep. They ended up walking a few feet until it got deeper. You don't need a wet suit.
yes, in NB. I am actually having a difficult time fathoming where on the river, especially around gruene, the swim will take place. not many 'pools' in that stretch.
Ragoo
AG
wcb said:

Ragoo said:

Then I'd probably recommend a wetsuit. Not mandatory (especially given that it's a sprint) but may make your life less miserable for 10 minutes.

What's your height / weight? I'd be glad to loan you a tri suit if we're anywhere close. Same for a wetsuit assuming your race isn't May 21. ;-)
6' 165
AggieOO
where do you live? I have a one piece tri suit that you can have if you want it. brother-in-law bought it, never used it, gave it to me. I've never worn it. and never will. Should fit you based on your height/weight. I'm in austin.
Ragoo
AG
houston
RO519
AG
What tri is it? I might just sign up...
AggieNinetyNine
AG
Unless you want to feel like you are pulling a parachute through the water I would suggest at least some tri-shorts. I just started training for and doing tri's this year and the first time in the pool I just wore regular shorts and the resistance going through the water was very noticeable. I switched to jammers for training and it made a huge difference. The tri-shorts will be better on the bike too than running shorts since they won't ride up and there is a little padding.
Phat32
AG
AggieNinetyNine said:

Unless you want to feel like you are pulling a parachute through the water I would suggest at least some tri-shorts. I just started training for and doing tri's this year and the first time in the pool I just wore regular shorts and the resistance going through the water was very noticeable. I switched to jammers for training and it made a huge difference. The tri-shorts will be better on the bike too than running shorts since they won't ride up and there is a little padding.
+1

My tri-shorts were $50 or less on Amazon and work just fine for any distance under a 70.3.
Swarely
I can't imagine the wedgie I would get riding my road bike in jammers.
Ragoo
AG
RO519 said:

Rockin R
agcivengineer
AG
For sprints you can wear compression shorts the entire time, no need for running shorts.

I wea a tri top and swim in that. Put on cylcing shoes or running shoes and thats it.
Ragoo
AG
okay campers, i just officially registered
Ragoo
AG
https://redemptionrp.raceentry.com/race-reviews/rockin-r-triathlon?rrid=1708356
RO519
AG
Ragoo said:

RO519 said:

Rockin R
That looks like a fun sprint. I would sign up, but it is my niece's first birthday. No way in heck I am going to miss that!

I may do this one though at the end of next month. Silver Lake Tri. I just have to make sure it doesn't clash with any memorial day plans.
Swarely
So what are you doing for a tri suit?
Ragoo
AG
Jammer
Swarely
Good luck man. I was planning on driving down to watch the race, but decided to go see family instead. Be sure to give us a race report after. Also, Redemption Racing does not have beer after the race, so bring your own if you like having a cold one while waiting for transition to open. Lots of people were giving my buddy and I jealous looks after the Wurst Tri ever.
Ragoo
AG
How long after the race can you get back to get your stuff?
Swarely
Whenever all the bike riders are done they will open up transition. Depending on where you start, and how fast you are, could take awhile. I crashed my bike and ran/walked with a busted arm at my last try. I think I was on beer three when it finally opened. My buddy I was with finished ~20 min ahead of me.
Swarely
If you have a SO or buddy along with you I would have them hold on to your phone, beer, shorts, etc while you race. Otherwise, stash them somewhere you can grab them and they won't get jacked.
Ragoo
AG
Ragoo
AG
1:48 with an hour on the bike. By far my weakest discipline
Kool
AG
Doing my first tri ever at the ripe old age of 52 this September. My swimming experience is just past playing Marco Polo as a kid, so I am obviously nervous about a 400 yard open water swim. Any recs for how to pace myself for this, frequency and lengths of training, etc? Muchas gracias.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
wcb
AG
Kool said:

Doing my first tri ever at the ripe old age of 52 this September. My swimming experience is just past playing Marco Polo as a kid, so I am obviously nervous about a 400 yard open water swim. Any recs for how to pace myself for this, frequency and lengths of training, etc? Muchas gracias.
The better prepared you are the more confident you'll feel on race day. Don't train for 400, train for 1000. Get a few open water swims in as you get closer to the race. If you'll race in a wetsuit be sure and get a few practice swims with it as well.

I did the opposite of this for way to long. And it never went well.
Kool
AG
Sounds like sage advice. Thanks
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Ragoo
AG
I did the train for 1000 in the swim. But really. Just get through the swim. The difference in 8 minutes and 10-11 minutes is insignificant in the while of the race.
3 time a week during lunch I swim 400-300-200-100 trying to go faster and faster each ladder resting for a minute or two between each. Should take about 20 minutes.
agcivengineer
AG
My first open water 400 tri swim was labor day last year and it did not go as well as i hope for the following reasons:
1. I wasnt used to water being dark and not clear.
2. I hadnt properly learned how to sight.
3. I want used to choppy water.
4. I only beathe to my left and swam on the inside, i should have swam on outside of group.

I now practice with my eyes closed sometimes. I practice sighting by looking at clock in pool. Ive learned to turn over and float to relax if need be.
Im learning to calm down and swim at my own pace and not race people. Im learning to breathe to both sides, but i suck at that.
Ragoo
AG
Water clarity is a good point.
emando2000
AG
An Aggie won the overall. My buddy got 3rd.
Ragoo
AG
yep, he had like 2 miles left on the bike as I was 2 miles into my bike.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.