Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Spartan!

3,519 Views | 40 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by aggiespartan
Rudyjax
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have a race bug up my ass now and have decided I want to do the Spartan on 5/20 in Burnet.

I'm doing a half marathon in March and work out with CG 4-5 times per week.

Pros and cons of a super versus a sprint? What types of things should I work on?

I'm not worried about the running....

And we are thinking of camping. Good or bad idea? Shower afterwards?

Any thought? Thanks!
wangus12
AG
Run the one in Burnet 4-5 times now.

The Super gets you a couple more obstacles out there, but mainly more miles. You'll be fairly used to some of their stuff via CG.
Aggietaco
AG
Do the super, the sprint is too short.

I think they're kind of cheesy, but I've had fund at all of them that I've ran and reveille Peak is a great venue.

Grip strength and pull-up/rope climb are my biggest issues with the Spartan races.
AggieOO
could be warm camping in texas in late may...
AgEng06
AG
Do the Super and have fun. I've done it out there 3 or 4 times, but won't be this year (unless I get inspired for some reason).
Rudyjax
AG
AggieOO said:

I camp year round so that's not a concern just showers are. And trying to save money and have fun
Rudyjax
AG
AgEng06 said:

Do the Super and have fun. I've done it out there 3 or 4 times, but won't be this year (unless I get inspired for some reason).
After Posting a friend who knows my fitness level said I would be enjoy the Super more .

Edit: I hate my kindle.
wangus12
AG
Does the Austin event still do a Sprint one day and a Super the next day? You could just do both, although the Spartan prices have gotten ridiculous.
AggieOO
Unthought Known said:

AggieOO said:

I camp year round so that's not a concern just showers are. And trying to save money and have fun
there are showers out there. at least if they are doing race HQ by the pavillion and not over at the other entrance.

you are more man than me. I won't camp in texas during the summer unless i'm out in west texas in the mountains. Trying to sleep when its 76 degress and no moving air is the worst. I've done it at a handful of races, and won't. I hate cold weather and i'll camp is sub-freezing temperatures without a second thought, but i won't camp in texas summers. I'm just miserable.
Rudyjax
AG
I glamp. I have a cot, fan, etc
Rudyjax
AG
Just signed up and so did my games team!
aggiespartan
AG
How is the landscape for that race? I think I'd like to find a relatively flat one to do. I did the sprint here in Portland last year and we had about a 1000 ft elevation climb and descent. It was tough for a non runner like myself. For whatever reason, they put some of the more difficult obstacles on the course up here too.
wangus12
AG
Its in the Hill country and there is one decent size hill on the property. Nothing like a 1000ft climb though
AggieOO
wangus12 said:

Its in the Hill country and there is one decent size hill on the property. Nothing like a 1000ft climb though
you can EASILY get over 1K of climbing out there. There's more than that in a half marathon loop out there. You just don't get it all at once.
AggieLAX
AG
I did the Beast last year and signed up for the full Trifecta this year. First race (Sprint) is in Houston, second (Super) is in Colorado, and the third (Beast) is in Glen Rose.
wangus12
AG
My bad. I misread it. For some reason thought he said in one go. Must be a sign to start switching over to mountaineering mode after this weekend
tysker
AG
Doing the Las Vegas Super in about a month and the Dallas Beast in October. Not sure which Sprint I want to do. I did both Dallas Sprints last year (Cowboy Stadium and Glen Rose). I'll probably do the Cowboy Stadium Sprint again to compare results but I also want to try a new location.
Aggietaco
AG
AggieOO said:

wangus12 said:

you can EASILY get over 1K of climbing out there. There's more than that in a half marathon loop out there. You just don't get it all at once.
Just checked some data and the last time I ran out there was the Rogue series last year and the 30k had 1200' of climb. I guess I've never used my watch during any of my Spartan runs out there.
aggiespartan
AG
wangus12 said:

My bad. I misread it. For some reason thought he said in one go. Must be a sign to start switching over to mountaineering mode after this weekend
If you're talking about me, I'm a she.

The Portland sprint was a little over 4 miles. We started going up as soon as we crossed the start line. If someone wants a challenging sprint, I would recommend it. I've also heard the Utah races are pretty challenging too.

Luckily our water stations were appropriately spaced. I heard that they had to change the route for one of the races last year because it was a steep climb with no water. I think that might have been one of the North Carolina races.
Rudyjax
AG
Did it Saturday.

We went slow, ran together to have fun and not worry about time. We ran with our slowest guy and didn't push it.

It was a lot of fun.

My upper body is completely sore but legs feel good.
AgEng06
AG
Nice work!

Did you complete the rope climb? That's your true measure as a man.
Rudyjax
AG
AgEng06 said:

Nice work!

Did you complete the rope climb? That's your true measure as a man.

We had a 45 minute delay and that killed me. It was wet, and i couldnt get a good leg lock. When i did my legs cramped. I got up 3/4s the first try.

Im used to a thicker rope.

Next time.
AgEng06
AG
Ah. That smaller rope really makes things more difficult, and the fact that your hands are almost always wet when you get to the rope. I didn't get it the first time I tried either, and could only do it using my legs the next few times. I finally have gotten where I can do it legless if my hands aren't wet, but it's still really difficult.
Rudyjax
AG
Plus no excuse, we had the rings, then the pull, and then the rope.

All that after waiting 45 minutes.
aggiespartan
AG
Did you have the atlas carry? That was our first obstacle after a big hill last year. It was brutal.
Rudyjax
AG
aggiespartan said:

Did you have the atlas carry? That was our first obstacle after a big hill last year. It was brutal.

Yeah. It wasnt that bad. It was about 2 miles in.
CoolaidWade
AG
Did it. I had no problem with the rope climb as I'm use to them. I had more trouble with some of the ring stuff. I was not able to do the ring thing at the end which turned on a cylinder. That was more because my hands were so wet I couldn't grip.

Also couldn't climb the wall where you had to walk sideways over rock climbing grip things. That was because my knees were pressed hard against my he wall and I felt like it wasn't worth an injury. (Meniscus tear surgery a few years ago)

Also didn't do the longest tunnel for that same reason and missed the spear throw. Although I heard others got more then one shot.

Other then that I thought it was fairly easy and I ended up doing 40 Burpees.

Thought it was super fun and now want to do one outside of Texas where the terrain is more of a factor and not so flat.
aggiespartan
AG
CoolaidWade said:

Did it. I had no problem with the rope climb as I'm use to them. I had more trouble with some of the ring stuff. I was not able to do the ring thing at the end which turned on a cylinder. That was more because my hands were so wet I couldn't grip.

Also couldn't climb the wall where you had to walk sideways over rock climbing grip things. That was because my knees were pressed hard against my he wall and I felt like it wasn't worth an injury. (Meniscus tear surgery a few years ago)

Also didn't do the longest tunnel for that same reason and missed the spear throw. Although I heard others got more then one shot.

Thought it was super fun and now want to do one outside of Texas where the terrain is more of a factor and not so flat.
If you want not so flat, come to Portland, or do Utah.
Endo Ag
AG
Or Asheville
wangus12
AG
Go do the Ultra Spartan in Vermont on the ski slopes. That one sucked so hard
Rudyjax
AG

Me and my boys finishing. I may or may not have tried to clear the fire by 3 feet.
Aggietaco
AG
CoolaidWade said:

Odd count when the penalty is 30 per fail.

Had a friend run the Sprint as her first official race after competing in the team challenge this year, she was 3rd in elite coming into the bag hoist and didn't pay attention to the rules or her screaming husband and let it drop about half way back down. Did her 30 burps, ran straight to the rings and failed because she didn't stop to rest, did her 30 burps, ran straight to the rope climb, failed, did her 30 burps and dropped 13 spots along the way. Bet she doesn't make that mistake again.
aggiespartan
AG
Unthought Known said:

Me and my boys finishing. I may or may not have tried to clear the fire by 3 feet.
We didn't have the fire last year. I was kind of disappointed.
CoolaidWade
AG
Fire Jump!

Quote:

Odd count when the penalty is 30 per fail.

Yeah, I just figured that was a guideline. And nothing really bad would happen to me if I didn't follow that rule exactly.
Aggietaco
AG
Explains why you thought it was easy. It's not necessarily hard unless you're going at 100%, but difficulty of the races increase when you follow the rules. 30 burpees for a missed obstacle while trying to keep up with a pack can make that next one pretty damn hard.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.