Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Marine Corps Marathon

6,793 Views | 57 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Goldie Wilson
coop-aero-06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I was just notified that I was selected in the lottery to run the Marine Corps Marathon this year. The race is Sunday, October 30. I had been looking around for a Fall marathon to run, and I decided to enter the lottery for NYC and MCM. I didn't get into NYC, but luckily I got into MCM. Now I can plan the rest of my race year.

Did anyone else get selected this year?

Any MCM vets have tips to share for an MCM rookie like myself?
Endo Ag
AG
I'm in as well. I hope to have a buddy running it too, though I haven't heard if he got in.

I've heard lots of good things, but haven't done it myself.
Presley OBannons Sword
Great race. No real tips off the top of my head, except that the Pentagon is way bigger than you think when you're at about mile 23. That was my only marathon, and I had a great time.
MattAg06
AG
Wife and I were both selected. Really looking forward to it!
AggieOO
Great race! I ran it before they changed the course, so the Dr appt section is earlier instead of after the mall. Don't be fooled when you see the finish line, you will pass it, run out, and loop back. Oh, and the short climb to the finish is just mean.
wangus12
AG
Went 0 for 2 with NYC & MCM. Just not my year. Guess I'll be running Houston full if I'm not climbing in Mexico that weekend
NonRegAg94
AG
Congrats on getting in. I've run it twice. It's a fun race.

Expo
This year, the expo is out at national harbor, which is a bit of a hike. The metro doesn't run that far, but they will have shuttle buses out there. Be prepared to wait in line at security to get in. The participants shirt is always a long sleeve mock-turtleneck. The last 3 years, it's made of a thick technical fabric. It's really nice for those really cold weather runs.

Other
If the Ags are playing, the DC A&M club usually has a watching party at Penn Quarter. It's a bar, but spaghetti is one of their meal options.

On race day.
The metro starts running at 5am the day of the race. However, the closer you get to the pentagon, the more crowded the train will get, and you may have to stand a while. It's a long walk to the runner's village with no port-o-potties until you get there. A lot of guys end up peeling off to the woods and relieving themselves.
The shuttle buses are a nice option because they send them when all the seats are filled. Plus they drop you closer to the security checkpoint to the runners village. The only downside is the line to get on the buses is long, although it moves quickly once they start loading up.
It takes a little while to get through security. This past year it was a complete cluster, and delayed a lot of people getting to the start. They actually held the start line open a little extra longer as a result. I expect they'll make some changes to it this year. They only allow runners into this area, so my advice is to have your family just go to the first place they plan to see you.
The runners village is large, and has plenty of porto-potties, but the lines can get long. If you don't want to wait as long there are some next to the corrals as well.

The corrals are an honor system, so you can get as far up to the front as you want. The road is divided, at the start. The left side is a bit less crowded. A little after the start the two side join back up. However, they split again, with the left side going on a slight diversion uphill (you may want to avoid this). Since it's a mass start it's going to be crowded for a few miles. It never really started clearing up until we first crossed the river.

The first 20 miles is very scenic and nice with trees, and monuments. After you cross the bridge back into Virginia, it's not as pretty, but the crowds are still decent, until you start approaching about mile 24. From that point it's a pretty lonely existence, until you get to mile 26, where you take on that last hill to the finish.

The metro makes it nice for people to get around to cheer you on. My friends would meet me at mile 1 ni Rosslyn, then I'd see them near the Lincoln Memorial, then again after leaving Haines Point, near the Mall, before meeting up at the finish.

Post Race
You collect your medal from a Marine Lieutenant who salutes you after placing it around your neck. Next you get your picture in front of the Iwo Jima Memorial. Then proceed to get your post race jacket, and food. It's all highly organized, and the food is pre-boxed for you, which makes it easy to carry. Once outside the finisher area, you can go to gear check and/or find your loved ones. They also have finisher's gear for sale. My advice is to have your loved ones get this for you, as the lines tend to be long. (The long sleeve shirts are much better looking than the short sleeve ones).
The worst part is transportation out of the area. The lines for most of the modes of transportation are pretty long. My last year (2013), the shuttle bus line wasn't bad. Many folks who stay in Silver City, actually elect to walk the 2-3 miles back, following the course in reverse, while getting a recovery walk in, and cheering on other runners.
coop-aero-06
AG
Nice write-up! Thanks a lot!
The Pilot
AG
Entering the lotto for this year.
wangus12
AG
Doing the same. Here's to a better result
coop-aero-06
AG
Good luck! It was an awesome race last year, just a little bit warm.
AggieOO
good luck guys! its a fantastic race!
htxag09
AG
Entered the lotto as well!
kbw01
AG
Be sure to check out the "Blue Mile" and watch for my blue brothers and sisters running for the fallen.
wear blue: run to remember Marine Corps Marathon
They will have an Aggie remembrance shirt for sale shortly.
wangus12
AG
Will you post when they release the Aggie shirt. I'd love to have one.
kbw01
AG
Will do.
Endo Ag
AG
Wear Blue mile was very emotional to run through. Too many faces in all, too many faces that I knew and remembered, and one kid about my sons age wearing his dad's acu cap. I forgot I was running a race for a while.
kbw01
AG
Endo Ag said:

Wear Blue mile was very emotional to run through. Too many faces in all, too many faces that I knew and remembered, and one kid about my sons age wearing his dad's acu cap. I forgot I was running a race for a while.
I will see if first hand during the Seattle R&R. I have had the honor of knowing the co-founder and a lot of the core group of Gold Star families while stationed here at JBLM, WA.
JDL 96
It's a great race. My wife did it two years ago. You'll really like it.
htxag09
AG
Pretty sure my credit card just got charged!!!!
The Pilot
AG
pending charge for me too
coop-aero-06
AG
Hopefully yall got in. Congrats!

The Wear Blue Mile was certainly the highlight of the whole race for me. Being surrounded by all those families, American flags, and images of service members made the emotions of running the race that much more emotional.
wangus12
AG
I also have a pending charge.

After 4 denials from NYC and 2 from MCM, finally looks like I beat a lottery
JamaicasGotMangos
I have a pending charge as well. This will be my 4th marathon and my 1st one out of Texas. Words cannot describe how excited I am!
kbw01
AG
coop-aero-06 said:

Hopefully yall got in. Congrats!

The Wear Blue Mile was certainly the highlight of the whole race for me. Being surrounded by all those families, American flags, and images of service members made the emotions of running the race that much more emotional.
That is great to hear and I will pass it along. I am pestering the merchandising VP on the timeline for orders.
The Pilot
AG
Recs on where to stay? Near the start/finish line?
wangus12
AG
I'm staying Alexandria. Metro north to the start line. Ferry across to the Gaylord
htxag09
AG
First destination marathon. When do y'all fly in and out? I was thinking fly in late Thursday and out Tuesday.
The Pilot
AG
We are planning on arriving Friday and leaving Tuesday.
Endo Ag
AG
I stayed with my uncle. I'd recommend finish line fort the runners convenience or across the river for spectators. It was a mess getting out of there, but getting there was easy. There are no hotels within a half mile of the start, so it's not like you'll be right there anyhow. Everybody walks a ways.
kbw01
AG
If you didn't win the lottery...

Registration to apply with wear blue for guaranteed entry to the sold-out Marine Corps Marathon is now open. The application to run in blue will be open from April 4th until April 14th at noon EST, with winners being announced on April 15th. It is important to note that winning a guaranteed entry is not compensation for the entry fee, and runners will be responsible for paying their entry fee.

To apply as a wear blue runner for guaranteed entry into the Marine Corps Marathon visit: http://www.wearblueruntoremember.org/lottery-marine-corps-marathon

You can run for fallen Aggies in their upcoming commemorative t-shirt.
coop-aero-06
AG
Last year we did Friday - Tuesday.

Stayed at an Airbnb in the Adams Morgan area.

It was a huge hassle to get to the start. Granted, we didn't really plan it out as well as we should have, but we ended up in an Uber and drove around for 30-40 minutes hitting road closures trying to get as close as possible to the start. We ended up having to walk about 0.75 miles to the start after being dropped off on the side of the road.
kbw01
AG
wear blue is pleased to announce the 60 recipients of a guaranteed entry into this year's Marine Corps Marathon. Stay tuned to your emails in the following days for further information. Congratulations and we look forward to running with you in blue.

Grace David
Deanna Bonelli
Timothy Newman
Sean Donovan
Richard Roehrick
Denny Bernardy
Becky Sexton
Krysten Isenhower
Erin Wennberg
Kyle Weaver
Susanna Urzua
Nicole Johnson
Cori Bernardy
Kimberly Hardin
Matthew Webb
Jaala Thibault
Angela Bender
Lauren Cabral
Bart Marowelli
Nic Pilley
Alex Arevalo
Rrobert Goodon
Kenneth Jaehne
Matthew Roth
Lorena Jacinto
Erica Grosshans
Kenneth Patterson
Kyndall Williams
John Russell Willis
Jim Parham
Nicole Nevitt
Chelsea Hale
Melissa Lebron
Shaun Graham
Nikki Doty
Todd Perkins
Ginger Kerby
Camille McCue
Megan Zehner
Sharmon Acostacastro
Daniel Rogne
Kristoffer Smith Purnell
Kaniesia Evenson
Jeffrey Bain
Stephen Stavros
Jennifer Taylor
Anthony Gelormine
Kathryn Williams
Kathryn Taylor
Sharon Cone
Allison Nugent
James Rahn
Todd Werley
Theresa Timmermeyer
Robert DeMeyer
Shalima Cook
Erin Fisk
Ermin Mujezinovic
Nathanael Dillard
Dustin Blair
bushytailed
AG
kbw01 said:

wear blue is pleased to announce the 60 recipients of a guaranteed entry into this year's Marine Corps Marathon. Stay tuned to your emails in the following days for further information. Congratulations and we look forward to running with you in blue.

Grace David
Deanna Bonelli
Timothy Newman
Sean Donovan
Richard Roehrick
Denny Bernardy
Becky Sexton
Krysten Isenhower
Erin Wennberg
Kyle Weaver
Susanna Urzua
Nicole Johnson
Cori Bernardy
Kimberly Hardin
Matthew Webb
Jaala Thibault
Angela Bender
Lauren Cabral
Bart Marowelli
Nic Pilley
Alex Arevalo
Rrobert Goodon
Kenneth Jaehne
Matthew Roth
Lorena Jacinto
Erica Grosshans
Kenneth Patterson
Kyndall Williams
John Russell Willis
Jim Parham
Nicole Nevitt
Chelsea Hale
Melissa Lebron
Shaun Graham
Nikki Doty
Todd Perkins
Ginger Kerby
Camille McCue
Megan Zehner
Sharmon Acostacastro
Daniel Rogne
Kristoffer Smith Purnell
Kaniesia Evenson
Jeffrey Bain
Stephen Stavros
Jennifer Taylor
Anthony Gelormine
Kathryn Williams
Kathryn Taylor
Sharon Cone
Allison Nugent
James Rahn
Todd Werley
Theresa Timmermeyer
Robert DeMeyer
Shalima Cook
Erin Fisk
Ermin Mujezinovic
Nathanael Dillard
Dustin Blair

I got accepted!
Humbled doesn't even begin to describe it.
kbw01
AG
Team RWB is doing a raffle for spots too
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxiBtCRkWAbob2kzTFh4VmdaT28/view
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.