Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Crossfit games and nativity.

16,234 Views | 122 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by dave99ag
Vander
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Corticosteroids != anabolic steroids, please do not confuse the two. Prednisone is a corticosteroid, which generally have the exact opposite effect of anabolic steroids: these include increase weight gain, bone loss, lower testosterone, moody behavior, depression, etc.

Anabolic steroids are linked to improved moods, decrease of depression, increased muscle mass, etc.

I'm not saying corticosteroids are all bad because they have their uses, but they are not remotely the same thing as anabolic steroids, so do not confuse the two.
bthotugigem05
AG
quote:
so do not confuse the two.
Oh yeah?

Clem
quote:
Clem,

The majority of this thread is about blowing up the absurd notion that crossfit is "clean".

Only one or two comments about whether it is good or not. Let's all leave that debate for another thread. It has been done to death.
I'm aware. Did you not catch that I was replying directly to someone else? I originally responded that I liked CrossFit but didn't believe the Games athletes in the money divisions were clean. Someone else had to go an take a poke at CrossFit. It gets very old since the vast majority of threads are about running, triathalons, or weightlifting.
Deputy Travis Junior
Do you work in biochem Vander?
Deputy Travis Junior
Leaked IAAF doping files: Wada 'very alarmed' by allegations

quote:
The Sunday Times and German broadcaster ARD/WDR have obtained access to the results of 12,000 blood tests from 5,000 athletes between 2001 and 2012.

According to the newspaper, the evidence - which has been seen by the BBC - reveals the "extraordinary extent of cheating" by athletes at the world's biggest events.

quote:
According to the experts, the database reveals:

• A third of medals (146, including 55 golds) in endurance events at the Olympics and World Championships between 2001 and 2012 were won by athletes who have recorded suspicious tests. It is claimed none of these athletes have been stripped of their medals.
  • More than 800 athletes - one in seven of those named in the files - have recorded blood tests described by one of the experts as "highly suggestive of doping or at the very least abnormal".
  • A top UK athlete is among seven Britons with suspicious blood scores.
  • British athletes - including Olympic champion heptathlete Jessica Ennis-Hill - have lost out in major events to competitors who were under suspicion.
  • Ten medals at London 2012 were won by athletes who have dubious test results.
  • In some finals, every athlete in the three medal positions had recorded a suspicious blood test.
  • Russia emerges as "the blood testing epicentre of the world" with more than 80% of the country's medals won by suspicious athletes, while Kenya had 18 medals won by suspicious athletes.
  • Stars such as Britain's Mo Farah and Jamaican sprinter Usain Bolt recorded no abnormal results.
  • Athletes are increasingly using blood transfusions and EPO micro-doses to boost the red cell count.

Hot off the presses.
AggieOO
Was posted on the board yesterday.
Vander
AG
quote:
Do you work in biochem Vander?

No, I have just done a lot of research on my own.
Endo Ag
AG
quote:
BS

I've been on prednisone twice for medical reasons, and that **** ****s up your emotions big time. Would routinely go from really depressed to extremely excited to about to rip someone's head off.

Granted, I imagine the steroids prescribed by MDs are not the same as those used by competitors, but they're still in the same drug class.
Mid,
I know this was covered by Vander, but it should be made especially clear that Anabolic steroids and corticosteroids are very different. Cortico steroids are given as an inflammatory. I have very little knowledge about anabolics, but give corticosteroids near daily. Once or twice I've had reports back by patients about side effects that are not linked to corticosteroids, but rather with anabolics. Power of the mind at work.

It should be noted though that because corticosteroids are given for inflammation, they are one of the drugs that lead to doping violations as it can aid in recovery. There is history of anabolic steroids in cycling, but mostly historically because the gain is bulk is counterproductive to cycling. They are all about power to weight.
AggieOO
PEDs in ultramarathon. Non-scientific anonymous survey of 551 people:

http://ultra168.com/2015/07/29/drugs-in-ultra-running-global-reader-survey-results/
AggieOO
and here's one on golf being more dirty than cycling:

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/golf/golf-surpasses-cycling-and-athletics-for-drug-findings-1.2301094
Furlock Bones
AG
quote:
and here's one on golf being more dirty than cycling:

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/golf/golf-surpasses-cycling-and-athletics-for-drug-findings-1.2301094

i've mentioned Tiger Woods a number of times and always get the same line, "PEDs won't help you hit a golf ball." it's like someone took the baseball playbook and scratched through the words base and inserted golf.
dlp3719
AG
Alright. I'm going to try after the chess example. I assume there is no need for PEDs in professional bowling or professional billiards ?

Unless maybe trying to speed injury recovery.
Endo Ag
AG
Top bowlers and top billiards players both make 6 figure salaries, and likely have minimal testing, ergo, there is someone out there willing to cheat to get that edge. Beta blockers to keep your hr down? Steroids to get more zip on the ball? Anticholinergic to keep sweat down?

Like anything in life for some people, if it's worth doing, it's worth cheating at.

Digging around on this, I learned that beach volleyball players can make 2 mil, dart throwers over a million, surfers 500k.
Vander
AG
quote:
Alright. I'm going to try after the chess example. I assume there is no need for PEDs in professional bowling or professional billiards ?

Unless maybe trying to speed injury recovery.

They are paid money and hand-eye coordination is significantly improved with the use of PEDs (see baseball and hitting) so yes it's a guarantee many guys are using.

I know people like to believe that sports are clean but the reality is the old mantra of "If you ain't cheatin', you ain't tryin'" applies across all sports and competitions where money is involved. The guys at the top levels are all so good that any small advantage may mean the difference between winning and losing, so in come PEDs.

There is not a single sport or competition on the planet where money is involved that has not been significantly affected by PEDs of some sort.
DBSwooper
quote:

There is not a single sport or competition on the planet where money is involved that has not been significantly affected by PEDs of some sort.
Not just what people typically think of either. Toss in Xanex or similar for high stress performances, Adderall for concentration specific needs (which is one of the highest abused drugs on college campuses right now, students using it to study and for concentration for testing). It's just the tip of the iceberg.

Vander
AG
quote:
quote:

Not just what people typically think of either. Toss in Xanex or similar for high stress performances, Adderall for concentration specific needs (which is one of the highest abused drugs on college campuses right now, students using it to study and for concentration for testing). It's just the tip of the iceberg.

Exactly. This is why I don't see the big deal about steroids. It's just another thing in the long list of drugs that people have taken to improve performance of some sort.

Caffeine itself is a PED because it improves energy levels and alertness. So many things people do or eat nowadays is technically a PED. The age of natural athletes has long since past, there is not a single truly natural athlete in the world at the high levels, not when you include all PEDs.
w8liftr
The end result per Phil Hartman-

https://screen.yahoo.com/weekend-drug-olympics-000000571.html?soc_src=unv-sh&soc_trk=ma
bigjordo
AG
today on 70s big....
dave99ag
AG
I've posed this question to faculty when they spout off about doping and cheating in sport:

"Would you take a pill that would greatly increase your chances of getting that $1,000,000 grant proposal over the rest applying for the same funding?"

It's an interesting hypothetical and puts the drug use thought in a different perspective.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.