Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Crossfit games and nativity.

16,253 Views | 122 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by dave99ag
BBDP
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Bagwell was one of the best at a time when all of the other greats cheated. No way he was clean according to my theory.

Again; you can't beat a cheater consistently without cheating. He "won" for 20 years?

Vander
AG
quote:
What about Jeff Bagwell. Anyone have any thoughts on him? He was dominating when he was young, but it was about the same time we started seeing some massive numbers being put up in the MLB, before anyone started questioning it.

Yes he used just like lots of guys use now. They just don't to extent that guys did during the steroid era so as to make it less obvious in hitting. Most of these guys use for recovery from the daily grind or for recovery from injuries. The latter is one of those things that allows professional athletes to recover from nasty injuries in just a few months now. Wet steroids like dianabol, deca-duraboline or trestolone can synthesize the production of collagen and significantly improve healing of tendons and muscles (these are primarily for bulking). Whereas dry steroids like trenbolone, epistane, etc. will give you that supreme cut look and make your muscles a lot more noticeable (these steroids are primarily for cutting fat)
BallerStaf2003
AG
quote:
Is JJ Watt on something or nah?

Yes, but don't let that diminish your view of him. He's an amazing guy and just doing what it takes to compete, just like everyone else.
Quinn
AG
quote:
quote:
Is JJ Watt on something or nah?

Yes, but don't let that diminish your view of him. He's an amazing guy and just doing what it takes to compete, just like everyone else.

I'm a Cowboys fan, so he's not my hero or anything. I just ran across that picture on Twitter and it made me think about this thread.
Knife_Party
If you guys stumble across a sport where being stronger doesn't make you a better athlete, you'll find a sport where no one uses.
Farmer1906
AG
quote:
If you guys stumble across a sport where being stronger doesn't make you a better athlete, you'll find a sport where no one uses.
Chess?
Endo Ag
AG
People have been accused of PEDs in chess.
http://m.spiegel.de/international/zeitgeist/a-595819.html
Deputy Travis Junior
quote:
quote:
Chess?

They're on adderal.

Seriously.
Vander
AG
Basically the way to know if people use PEDs is by asking the question, "Can you make money doing this?" If the answer is yes then PEDs will be used and they will be rampant a the professional level. I've heard of them being used in MLG events and professional video game players. While money guarantees there existence, you can find people who use in any sort of recreational league for any sport just because they can't stand not winning.
Knife_Party
quote:

I should have been clearer. If you stumble on a sport where strength doesn't improve athletic performance, you will find a sport where people don't use steroids. Everyone uses some kind of PED though.
Macpappy99
AG
They even use in curling

http://www.torontosun.com/2013/07/03/canadian-curler-dumontelle-banned-for-steroid-use

DBSwooper
quote:
quote:
quote:
Chess?

They're on adderal.

Seriously.

Just like thousands of college kids who abuse the drug to study and test better.
AggieOO
quote:
quote:
Chess?

Chess is a game. Not a sport.
Farmer1906
AG
Yall took that way too seriously.
The Lost
Out of curiosity are we considering per workouts like no explode and things like creatine peds for the amateur discussion? If so That increases the number insanely.
P.U.T.U
AG
Nope, just steroids and banned drugs
Endo Ag
AG
Fort my definition doing implies illegal by WADA, by FDA, or illicitly obtained for of label use.
Vander
AG
quote:
Out of curiosity are we considering per workouts like no explode and things like creatine peds for the amateur discussion? If so That increases the number insanely.

No. PEDs are things like steroids, hgh, dnp, clenbuterol, T3, and other weight loss drugs. Also all stimulants like dmaa, ephedrine, ephedra, yohimbe, etc. Basically anything that has an acute effect upon the body. NOxplode might be banned if it has a significant stimulant in it.
DBSwooper
If you look at the WADA list,too much caffeine or Sudafed is banned too.

The list is an interesting read if you're willing to look into it.
Ulrich
Caffeine isn't prohibited anymore... but I just checked, and apparently my normal daily caffeine intake would have been over the limit when it was. Probably ought to back off a bit.
w8liftr
quote:
Chess is a game. Not a sport.

And Crossfit IS a sport? "Hey guys, let's see who can exercise the best! "
AggieOO
i said nothing about crossfit. that's a completely different argument.
Furlock Bones
AG
I honestly think arguing what a sport is and isn't is stupid no matter what it is.
mid90
AG
I think we can all agree that golf is not a sport.
AggieT
bthotugigem05
AG
quote:
I think professional golf is a sport, but the version of it I play, fondly called "whackdammit", definitely isn't a sport, moreso a vehicle for spending time outside drinking and an excuse for swearing.
mid90
AG
quote:
quote:
I think professional golf is a sport, but the version of it I play, fondly called "whackdammit", definitely isn't a sport, moreso a vehicle for spending time outside drinking and an excuse for swearing.

If professional golfers actually carried their own equipment you might could make am argument for it as a sport. As is, they do some walking and occasionally swing very light metal rods.
Clem
quote:
Methodology of training?

What is the "methodology" of training for crossfit?
How cute, you put it in quotations!

The Crossfit methodology of training is to not specialize. Rather, it emphasizes building an athlete who is functionally capable across all of the traditional realms of fitness... gymnastics, strength, explosive power, strength throughout the range of motion, and stamina.

Like it or not, Crossfit works. I don't own a Crossfit gym, so I don't have a stake in the marketing of it. Also, I freely admit that the money-division Games athletes are surely on PED's. That doesn't mean I haven't seen a bunch of people get tremendous results from it.

At the gym I go to there are a lot of people who are completely new to exercise and they achieve some remarkable results. I'm not talking about early-gains either. The community aspect of Crossfit helps them to stay engaged and stick with the programming. They get some pretty great body changes out of it, but even more impressive is the awesome functional gains they get as well.

The same goes for people who are already good athletes. I haven't been this truly fit in years.

Call it a cult if you want, I'll freely admit that most Crossfitters (myself included) are guilty of excessive admiration of it, but unlike most cults, Crossfit (done properly and safely) actually gives the outcome it promises.
Furlock Bones
AG
Clem,

The majority of this thread is about blowing up the absurd notion that crossfit is "clean".

Only one or two comments about whether it is good or not. Let's all leave that debate for another thread. It has been done to death.
Satellite of Love
quote:
They had the Crossfit Games on tv when I was at the gym the other day. I'm very confident that a lot of the competitors, men and women, were PED-built. They had far too much muscle mass to be all natural.

Here's an example:

Look at the shoulders, traps, and pecs she has. Maybe she's a genetic abnormality, but women normally can't get close to that amount of muscle mass, even if they've lifted regularly with heavy weight for years. To do it at her thinness makes it even less plausible.
That is a chick?!?? Wouldn't want to be around her when she rages.
P.U.T.U
AG
Maybe they are big because the Paleo diet and Advocare are just that good...
Vander
AG
quote:
quote:
They had the Crossfit Games on tv when I was at the gym the other day. I'm very confident that a lot of the competitors, men and women, were PED-built. They had far too much muscle mass to be all natural.

Here's an example:

Look at the shoulders, traps, and pecs she has. Maybe she's a genetic abnormality, but women normally can't get close to that amount of muscle mass, even if they've lifted regularly with heavy weight for years. To do it at her thinness makes it even less plausible.
That is a chick?!?? Wouldn't want to be around her when she rages.
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/12/091208132241.htm

Roid rage is a myth. It's one of the ways that they have been vilified in this country for no reason at all. I don't care if someone is using and I understand why they lie about it, but man the whole situation makes me angry. It gives people a false impression about what they can achieve naturally and the lie (not the use of) taints the competitors.

The only steroid that causes changes in your behavior is trenbolone where you essentially lose a lot of ability to feel empathy and become more of a sociopath in addition to also getting irritated with small things faster than normal (lots of people also report a massive increase in sexual drive as well). Trenbolone is considered to be the "gold standard" for steroids though, so most people who use ultimately end up using tren at some point. However, unlike test, you can seriously screw yourself up if you don't follow proper on-cycle and post-cycle therapy because tren is far more potent than test and will have a much greater effect upon your endocrine system.
AgEng06
AG
I was reading a little bit about Tren and came across this on wiki...

quote:
Side Effects:

• dramatic increases in strength, sex drive, heart rate, and blood pressure
  • erectile dysfunction

What a terrible set of side effects... increased sex drive, but can't get a boner...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trenbolone
AggieOO

quote:

What a terrible set of side effects... increased sex drive, but can't get a boner...

And that results in (roid) rage.
mid90
AG
BS

I've been on prednisone twice for medical reasons, and that **** ****s up your emotions big time. Would routinely go from really depressed to extremely excited to about to rip someone's head off.

Granted, I imagine the steroids prescribed by MDs are not the same as those used by competitors, but they're still in the same drug class.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.