Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Who's on Zwift?

6,366 Views | 56 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by RustyBoltz
Hincemm
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
finally used my invite and downloaded the program and what not.

Pretty fun little tool especially if you have a power meter. I could see it getting old, but it's definitely a good start. Also makes segments, KOMs, etc entertaining.
Jim01
AG
I downloaded and installed on my MacBook, but haven't actually tried it yet. The weather has been so nice I've been avoiding the trainer
AggieOO
i threw my trainer away about 5 years ago.
Rule Number 32
AG
I played it for a little while, but i got frustrated with people FLYING past me all the time. I don't weigh 150 pounds, so when I put in my real weight i literally crawl up tiny little hills while busting my ass on the trainer. I did a little research and found out that most people put in significantly less than they weigh to make this easier, which seems ridiculous.

It's fun for what it is, but I didn't find that it was all that interesting after a few hours.
easttexasaggie04
AG
I'm interested in getting Zwift, although I don't have a Power meter. What is the least expensive option for a power meter?
Jim01
AG
Having just read DC Rainmakers power meter breakdown, I believe currently the cheapest NEW power meters are:

4iii Precision at $399 (LEFT ONLY POWER)

http://4iiii.com/product/precision/

Or Power2Max at $499. (COMPLETE POWER)

https://www.power2max.com/northamerica/product/powermeters/power2max-classic-fsa-gossamer-power-meter/

And here's the link to DCRs power meter guide.

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2015/10/buyers-guide2015-edition.html
Brewmaster
AG
I love Zwift! ... any of you still on? I know I'm reviving a thread from the dead.

The new mountain route looks amazing... now I just need to ride a few more weeks so I can get my butt all the way up it.
gigemaggs99
AG
Agreed, riding on zwift with a smart trainer is where it's at!

I have a kickr snap trainer it adjusts with the zwift terrain, so as you go up the mountain it gets harder to pedal. I'm really enjoying riding on zwift.
TurboVelo
AG
quote:

I have a kickr snap trainer it adjusts with the zwift terrain, so as you go up the mountain it gets harder to pedal. I'm really enjoying riding on zwift.
Absolutely. I have always hated the trainer... until smart trainers came out.

If anyone wants / needs one, I have several Tacx Bushido Smart trainers for sale. They are completely wireless, transmit in ANT+ and Bluetooth to your phone, tablet, or computer and work with any of the programs: Zwift, TrainerRoad, Tacx, etc. They are also self generating, so you don't even have to plug them in. Your pedaling generates the electricity. Brand new in box. $500. Tour de France edition. These are the ones you'll the pro teams riding next to their buses in the Tour this year.
P.U.T.U
AG
quote:
quote:

If anyone wants / needs one, I have several Tacx Bushido Smart trainers for sale. They are completely wireless, transmit in ANT+ and Bluetooth to your phone, tablet, or computer and work with any of the programs: Zwift, TrainerRoad, Tacx, etc. They are also self generating, so you don't even have to plug them in. Your pedaling generates the electricity. Brand new in box. $500. Tour de France edition. These are the ones you'll the pro teams riding next to their buses in the Tour this year.
Tempting, I told a friend I would buy his Computrainer with all accessories for about the same price.
Brewmaster
AG
In the $500 range I highly recommend either a smart Bushido, Vortex or a Kickr Snap.

I ride a Vortex Smart in Zwift and its awesome...if you want to simulate steeper hills than 7%, I'd go with a Bushido smart or Kickr Snap

You can get Bushido Smarts new for a shade less than $500, if you're willing to buy them from overseas - bikediscount is the 1st company that comes to mind and they get great reviews.
Brewmaster
AG
Also I think computrainer is no longer in biz, which means no support or warranty.

P.U.T.U., would you happen to have that license plate? We saw it after a football game and couldn't stop laughing, love it!
P.U.T.U
AG
I picked up the Computrainer, it is the lab version with pretty much all accessories and for under $500. Came with 4 course videos as well

No it's not my license plate, would be funny though
Brewmaster
AG
Now get on Zwift!

here's a guy climbing the mountain. I've been up it 3 times already (in less than 2 weeks). Nothing like it in Central TX.

and a couple screenshots, not mine:

[url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNwngImP_TI][/url]

wcb
AG
quote:
quote:

You still have one available? To have the PC (Zwift, TR) control the resistance do I also have to buy an Upgrade Smart? My computer has built in Bluetooth and I'm already transmitting Ant+ power / HR. I prefer to keep using my Vectors to record power but then have that + TR drive the resistance.

https://www.tacx.com/en/products/software/upgrade-smart
TurboVelo
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

You still have one available? To have the PC (Zwift, TR) control the resistance do I also have to buy an Upgrade Smart? My computer has built in Bluetooth and I'm already transmitting Ant+ power / HR. I prefer to keep using my Vectors to record power but then have that + TR drive the resistance.

https://www.tacx.com/en/products/software/upgrade-smart
That is to upgrade the Tacx Desktop software. Tacx has their own VR program that connects through the internet, and it does some really cool things, but it is not as social as Zwift, nor as structured as TrainerRoad.

You do not need it for Zwift, TrainerRoad, etc. The Bushido Smart is already updated (because I update them), so it is ready to work with Zwift, TR, etc. right out of the box. If you buy them from anywhere else, you have to update the firmware for the ANT+ FE-C protocol, which is what Zwift, TR, etc use to broadcast back to the trainer to change the resistance. It also broadcasts in Bluetooth, which is really helpful when using your phone or tablet to control it while warming up for a race or traveling.

One of the REALLY cool features is that if you pair your power meter AND the trainer with Zwift, TR, etc, those programs automatically "recalibrate" to make sure that the trainer is accurate and realistic.

I have about 20 left (I bought out the North American supply).
BAGAAG
AG
Still have any left? Email me at galowbraw@ g mail dot com
shiftyandquick
I don't cheat on my weight, and I can go up the hills just fine. I'm not the fastest, but I'm not the slowest either. My FTP is just south of 270 watts. And I weigh >180lb.

You have to realize that a lot of the people on zwift are pretty serious about cycling. So they are fast. And combine that with good ol fashioned weight cheating among some....if you are big and not very fit, you will feel slow.
Phat32
AG
shiftyandquick said:

You have to realize that a lot of the people on zwift are pretty serious about cycling. So they are fast. And combine that with good ol fashioned weight cheating among some....if you are big and not very fit, you will feel slow.
Yeah, you're basically facing the small % of people who are serious enough to buy all the equipment and use it religiously....from the entire world.

I don't feel bad when my sprint times are in the 150th/900 range. The 149 above me are definitely better cyclists.
wcb
AG
Tried it out for the first time over at TriShop last week. My 12 year old son begged to hop on and give it a whirl. The shop ok'd it, he hopped on and maxed out around 300W. Then he asked what dad could do.

My 5 second record on TR is 494. I don't think I've ever hit 500 on a trainer. The setup was Zwift hooked up to a Kickr. I managed to top 600W and made Slowtwitch in the meantime.

I enjoyed it but will likely stick with TR for now. The Kickr on the other hand? Possibly the smoothest feeling trainer I've ever used. If they could just get the pricing down.

JDL 96
Is there any way to use Zwift for $200 - $300? I've got a Blackburn track ultra, and a Garmin speed and cadence sensor.

I've used the Virtual Power feature on Trainer Road, but I don't think it is accurate at all with the Blackburn. The tension / friction varies depending on how much you tighten the flywheel against the tire, etc.
wcb
AG
You could probably find a used smart trainer or PM for $300. Lots of folks are upgrading these days.
P.U.T.U
AG
Like a power meter in the classifieds on a powertap wheel
JDL 96
Putu and wcb - thanks both good tips.
wcb
AG
wcb said:

Lots of folks are upgrading these days.
Or having kids...
agie95
AG
I am looking to add to my following on Zwift. Any of you still using it?

Or Strava?
Ragoo
AG
I use both
agie95
AG
User name?

Ragoo
AG
Just gave you a Strava follow. Look me up on Zwift.
RangerRick9211
AG
wcb said:

I enjoyed it but will likely stick with TR for now. The Kickr on the other hand? Possibly the smoothest feeling trainer I've ever used. If they could just get the pricing down.
FYI, I do both TR and Zwift. TR to my Samsung phone on ANT+ (ERG controller) and Zwift on BT (power/cadence only) to iPad. I do some 2 hour TR workouts and enjoy staring at Zwift more than TR's dashboard.
tlepoC
AG
I was messing around with the new club feature and made a 'Texas Aggies' club as a test. Not sure if anyone here has already made one but, if you want to use this as a bit of a Texags club, add your zwift name and I'll shoot you an invitation. Maybe we can get some group rides going.
SteveA
AG
Same. I use TR for workouts and Zwift for recover, endurance and race rides.
SteveA
AG
I'm steve a on Zwift.
Ragoo
AG
SteveA said:

I'm steve a on Zwift.
you are impossible to find

I am Tyler Waite on Zwift.
JDL 96
Zwifter here!
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.