Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Im Starting Insanity Tonight

22,966 Views | 418 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by tmas
bbattbq01
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
First week is the roughest.

Starting the last week tonight...

And to the P90x or insanity question, everything I've read is Insanity is better cardio/weight loss and p90x is better for bulking up. So basically echoing what else has been said.
maca1028
Tonya's facial expressions annoy me
ccaggie05
AG
Yeah, I did some more research and decided Insanity would be better for me to start off with since I'm wanting to burn fat/lose a little weight first. I'm going to start the fit test tonight. We'll see how this goes!

Sorry if it was already covered, but I have a couple questions for those of you currently going through the program or those that already finished

1.) What sort of results are you seeing/did you see? I don't expect anything unrealistic, but it would be nice to know that people are losing inches off their waist/dropping some pounds. Any improvement muscle tone wise (I know P90X is much better for that)? Of course results vary, but I'm curious what people's overall results are.

2.) How are you guys going about the diet? Following Insanity's diet or another diet plan?

[This message has been edited by ccaggie05 (edited 5/20/2013 2:59p).]
maca1028
cc the first thing I've noticed was improved conditioning. A friend of mine did it a few months ago did not change his diet at all (dude likes to eat) and he lost 20lbs. If u follow a good diet you can lose more. I eat good some days and other days its BBQ and burgers, I probably need to slow down on the latter
maca1028
I have noticed after the last 2 workouts I haven't been overly sore. Thanks again for starting this thread bbatt it's helping me stay motivated
bbattbq01
AG
1) I've lost around 20-25 lbs.

Better conditioning like maca said has been huge, can do a lot more aerobic type activities with my kiddos now without getting out of breath.

I'm down a couple pants sizes I think I posted earlier on this thread about.

Muscle tone is much improved, I can actually see some definition in areas that haven't had it in a looong time.

I still have a long ways to go, I'm about half way to my goal (Started at 274ish shortly before starting insanity and am now 246 wanting to get to 210). Planning on taking a month or so off insanity to let my body recover and then either give it another go or at least work in one of the dvds a few times a week to other activities.

2) Nutrition we haven't followed the insanity guide. I just log in MyFitnessPal and keep under my calorie goal. Still eating mainly 3 times a day not doing the 6 times a day thing. The calorie logging has really helped with my eating, almost completely cut out junky snack foods because I don't want the guilt or calorie hit when I have to log it into MFP.
Agprd
AG
When I was at my lowest after I finished Insanity and Asylum, I had lost about 25#. I ate pretty healthy but I did not follow the nutrition guide at all.

Basically, I did the 3 meals a day + 2 snack meals in between to get the metabolism going. If I had to have "junk", I would get the smallest size whatever that may be...regular snickers, not king size...small fry, not jumbo size, etc.

I've also started using MyFitnessPal and really like it. You have to be a bit OCD to keep it going but I really like that it keeps me accountable. Now I'm trying to gain weight the right way which makes my calorie intake even more important.
culdeus
AG
I think i'm going to switch to vibrams for this.

On a recovery day tomorrow so will give it a soft go.

After being ridiculously sore I'm doing much better. Probably will start adding back more cycling on top of this shortly.

What are you all keying in for MFP for calories on this? My polar is giving me numbers in the low 500s for the main ones.
culdeus
AG
The girls on the videos really cheat these workouts btw. I'm sure it's been pointed out before.
bbattbq01
AG
I just guesstimate 500 ish for the first month workouts and 700-750 ish for the max I think.

I don't get super scientific with it, mainly just concerned about me not eating 3k calories.
aggietony2010
AG
Finally was strong enough to get back into it today. After an eleven day layoff, I back tracked 2 weeks and did core cardio. I plan on following the week 4 schedule from, replacing recovery with max recovery and then going straight into month 2.

Felt good to finally be back.
AdAg01
AG
Wife and I started yesterday. Fit test=sucked. I have not done anything as far as workouts go in 13 years, looked at myself in the mirror about a week and a half ago and grew really really pissed about the image.

I am still fairly athletic, and my job keeps me moving, but good God that fit test sucked.......

Then, came day 2. And at one point I found myself screaming at a dude on the TV as though he can hear me, "You're crazy mother *)&#@%!!" I know it will get easier, but man, this is a real kick in the butt to go from next to nothing cardio wise to Insanity. Luckily for us, my wife and I both have athletic backgrounds (albeit 13+ years ago) so we still have a lot of the "core" muscles to help us through.

Someone tell me it gets easier :-)
bbattbq01
AG
Fell asleep last night before doing workout... Max Plyo interval this morning... Tonight will be max cardio circuit and cardio abs, God help me.
Agprd
AG
quote:
Fell asleep last night before doing workout... Max Plyo interval this morning... Tonight will be max cardio circuit and cardio abs, God help me.

Doubling up on the Max workouts? Wow man - that is beastly!
bbattbq01
AG
I've been looking forward to being finished on Sunday too much to get a day behind!!!

[This message has been edited by Bbattbq01 (edited 5/21/2013 7:06p).]
maca1028
After having problems with the Pure Cardio DVD last week, I cleaned it really good and got through the workout without it hanging up like last time. I forgot how much I hated that one, 15 minutes staight with no break was tough. Looking forward to cardio recovery tomorrow
AdAg01
AG
Just finished day 3 (including fit test)....power cardio. I am pleasantly surprised that today, while REALLY hard, and I could not finish all of the exercises, especially not at the speed they go, I was able to do A LOT more than yesterday....I feel much more optimistic today than yesterday about this workout!
bbattbq01
AG
Survived my double yesterday... Evening session was a whip. 4 days of workouts left then the final for test!
maca1028
I was looking forward to cardio recovery today when I realized today was plyo I drank a little preworkout and went to work
bbattbq01
AG
I don't even get a recovery day this week

I do have to say I kind of like the pure cardio and max cardio workouts since they are straight through and you don't have to do the circuits. The circuits are brutal by the third rotation!!!
maca1028
quote:
The circuits are brutal by the third rotation!!!

AGREED!!!
bbattbq01
AG
Was very happy to be done with Max Interval Circuit last night for the last time... 3 more workout days and then the final fit test of Sunday! My body is sore, my muscles are tired, need to push through!!!
maca1028
You're making month 2 sound pretty tough bbatt
culdeus
AG
Thru Week 2. Weight wise I'm basically dead even which was my goal. I didn't want to lose any weight at all. Using MFP to track calories.
bbattbq01
AG
It's probably not as bad as I make it sound maca, if you've read through the whole thread you know how out of shape I was when I started

I think the grind is just starting to wear on me, I have some nagging little muscle issues that are starting to pop up (minor strain on a quad from some of the jumping, some bicep soreness etc) and my body is just ready for a little break!

Feel 100% better now than I did before the program!

Keep it up everyone!
maca1028
Kind of a weird day for me, I'm in the middle of working graveyards right now and have been doing my workouts when I wake up in the afternoon. I did cardio power and resistance this afternoon before I can to work but tomorrow I have my daughters dance recital as soon as I wake up so I will have to do pure cardio and abs in the morning when I get off. Kinda two workouts in one day but not
bbattbq01
AG
Complete.

Whew.
maca1028
Nice work bbatt
bbattbq01
AG
Final fit test:

Exercise Day1/Day63

Switch Kicks 30/55
Power Jacks 32/53
Power Knees 50/100
Power Jumps 17/40
Globe Jumps 5/9
Suicide Jumps 8/12
Push-up Jacks 12/26
Low Plank Oblique 20/50
NoHo Hank
AG
Way to go man! Those results speak for themselves. Gotta feel good about that.

Quick question: After a 2 day break following the rest day (had a throat infection of some variety), I'm approaching the first Pure Cardio + Cardio Abs day tomorrow. Do y'all space them out or roll straight from pure cardio in to abs?
bbattbq01
AG
Straight through. Maybe 5 min break to catch my breath. Cardio abs is only 17 mins I think it's quick.
culdeus
AG
Are low plank oblique 1-2 = 1?

The cardio abs after cardio straight is tough. The wide jumps are effing impossible after pure cardio imo.

I'm actually up weight wise now by 4# from the start. This is unexpected. I'm not super worried about it though.
bbattbq01
AG
Low plank oblique I count each leg as one.

Got on elliptical for the first time this morning since doing insanity. Same 45 minute program I did before insanity that really wore me out didn't even make me breath hard. Heartbeat went up to 120-140 range and I did get a good sweat but not near the exertion level.
culdeus
AG
Interesting. I can knock out like 80 of those things in a minute and only be pushed for time. Maybe it is the cycling background. Not too dissimilar a motion I guess.

Lester Bangs
bbatt,
Where are the before and after pics? Kidding.

Great job on completing the program. I was pretty impressed that when you missed a day you doubled up the next. That takes serious dedication.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.